It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:37 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Go to page 1, 2  Next   Page 1 of 2   [ 28 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 10:18 am • # 1 

I have difficulty taking off my boots after wading, and they are two sizes extra, they are just some rubber boots, would drilling a breather hole help in pulling them off? What types of boots do you all wear over your stocking foot waders?
Can't use felt soled boots here.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 2:55 am • # 2 

Drilling a breather hole is a logical thought.
I wear the Simms guide boots and have for many years. These boots are not cheap but are worth every penny IMHO. However, I can't say that these boots would be a solution to your problem. Perhaps, the drilling of a hole in your boots is a reasonble first step.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:00 am • # 3 

I also use the Simms Guide boot excellent.But I am a commercial oilfield diver or was before I was dragged out of the water by the company to become a supervisor anyway we wear steel capped rubber boots (the kind riggers and farmers etc use)when we are working on the seabed the same I am presuming that you are wearing and many of us drill holes in them just punch a half dozen just above the sole three each side of the foot about 3-4 mm or 1/8 inch and that makes them all the easier to pull off and lets the water out as you walk up the bank.
Hope it works
Muz

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:05 am • # 4 

Make that a third for Simms, although I decided on the Rivershed boots. I tried both but the Rivershed model suited me the best. I had issues as well taking my any of old boots and have had no issues once going to Simms. From now on Simms are the only boots for me.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 10:56 am • # 5 

Sasha, I'm curious what led you to prefer the Rivershed over the Guide boots? I'm in the market for new wading boots and need to start trying them on.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 11:02 am • # 6 

I love my Cabelas branded UL boots. They are very light and breathe, and dont have any suction over the stocking feet.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 2:21 pm • # 7 

Clarkfork wrote:
Sasha, I'm curious what led you to prefer the Rivershed over the Guide boots? I'm in the market for new wading boots and need to start trying them on.

Don't get me wrong they are both great boots. I have had mine since 2010 and they are still going strong. Back when I was in the market for boots, I tried on both. At the time the Rivershed boots were $50 less than the G3 guide boots. The boots were so similar in comfort etc. that it was a simple matter of me not seeing that the guide boots were worth $50 more. I notice on the Simms site that the Riversheds are now $179 wonder why that changed...

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 5:05 pm • # 8 

Sasha wrote:
Clarkfork wrote:

Don't get me wrong they are both great boots. I have had mine since 2010 and they are still going strong. Back when I was in the market for boots, I tried on both. At the time the Rivershed boots were $50 less than the G3 guide boots. The boots were so similar in comfort etc. that it was a simple matter of me not seeing that the guide boots were worth $50 more. I notice on the Simms site that the Riversheds are now $179 wonder why that changed...

For deep winter fishing I use the Cabelas 5mm Spring Run bootfoot with 1,000 grams of Thinsolate in the boot. Feet never get cold. Summer fishing I use stockingfoot gortex and I have the Simms Rivertec BOA boot with the rubber sole and studs and I love them. They are also $179 but I like the BOA lacing system. I went from older Simms felts to this as half the states I fish have banned felt.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:54 am • # 9 

I also use the cheaper Cabelas ULs with rubber soles. I screw the studs in the bottom. Some have come out, and I've had to reattach. My issues putting them on, and my feet getting cold when I'm standing in 50 degree water too long. I believe mine need to be oversized by one size and for the winter I'm going to try Joe's recommendation of the Spring Run boot foot waders.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:30 am • # 10 

I always wear breathable waders... No matter the temp. To keep my feet warm, I wear 1 pair of heavy merino wool socks, 1 pair of Simms sock liners, and tie my boots loosely. My boots are also the lug soles - and I put a screw in every other lug instead of all of them. It keeps them a bit lighter and I still get the traction I need.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 7:29 pm • # 11 

I also wear the Simms Guide boot-great support. They are not inexpensive but worth the price to me. I was leaning toward a pair of LL Beans and there are probably other good models on the market but hard to imagine any more durable than the Simms. My problem is a very wide foot-and the Simms fit my fat feet quite well

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:23 pm • # 12 

Did you purchase a pair of Simms boots yet?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:01 am • # 13 

"Simms Rivertec BOA boot with the rubber sole and studs and I love them." ditto. the BOA lacing system is the bees knees, especially when the digits get cold and stiff. they are easy on/off. best wading boot i have ever owned hands down.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:12 am • # 14 

I'd get boots with gravel screens in them like cabelas or frogg toggg.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:59 am • # 15 

Philos' endorsement of the Simms Guide for wide feet was all I needed to hear. I'm a very heavy guy with freakishly wide feet, so hopefully that boot will fit well.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 1:12 pm • # 16 

Well, maybe this should go in the Frugal section, but I'm using a $20 pair of Walmart hiking boots. I use them in the Kern, Lower Owens, local streams and surf fishing here in CA. I can screw screws/studs right into the lugs of the tread. I'm going to experiment with aluminum bars also. Anyway, so far, so good!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 6:04 pm • # 17 

Another vote for Simms guide boots. Great ankle and toe support and very comfortable, even after a long days hiking/wading. They have been on clearance recently to make room for 2014 product. At $120 they still aren't cheap, but I don't see how one could go wrong with a pair.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 2:16 pm • # 18 

Look for boots with the upper 2 shoe laces rings or arrangements open for easy undoing and proper opening of the upper half post of the boot which makes the process easy to take them off

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 12:35 am • # 19 

Well it took two years but I finally saved up enough Cabelas gift cards to buy a pair of Simms Guide boots. Haven't taken them fishing yet, but just putting them on it's clear they are very comfortable. Money well spent. I should have been buying these all along. My 6E freakishly wide feet are no problem with these boots. Hope I get a few years out of them!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 10:13 pm • # 20 

I still wear my old Korkers (have aquastealth, felt & rubber soles), but it's hard to bet against anything Simms. Whether boots, vests, rod/reel cases, taco wader case, etc; I have yet to use a product of theirs I don't love.

Mikey

Go to page 1, 2  Next   Page 1 of 2   [ 28 posts ] New Topic Add Reply