It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 4:19 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next   Page 2 of 3   [ 48 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: Re: Throat/Stomach Pumps
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 4:18 pm • # 21 

I'm glad this thread popped up again. I'm participating in a project to remove non-native fish from a steelhead creek here in SoCal this weekend, and I think some stomach pumping of the removed fish will be a good trial run for me!

Andy

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 11:31 pm • # 22 

This thread reminded me that this is a forum with people that brag about shooting peoples pet dogs.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 7:15 am • # 23 

Actually, I like to set the neighbors' cats on fire and watch them burn.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:01 am • # 24 
Administrator

Alex,
not everyone agrees with that view...and few if any here would do that.

Les

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:17 pm • # 25 

Schuey wrote:
I would think it could be a huge advantage. I fish primarily brooktrout, not known to be exceedingly hard to catch, but nevertheless, I've had days when they were very selective, especially early season. I don't believe turning over rocks at the edge of the stream tells the whole story. A guy would find any number of bugs, but that's doesn't mean that's what's swimming around an inch or two below the surface at the tail end of the pool and have the trout all excited.
I don't think this is going to make or break my season and I'm still torn on the whole idea of it. As I mentioned originally, guessing what's going on is part of the fun. I was just wondering what other people's experiences with them have been.

Hi Schuey

I often encounter just what you've described. If it's wadeable you can quickly find out with a seine exactly what's going on. Granted, you run the risk of putting down fish if you need to get that close, but often theres room to stay safely below active risers. The siene that mounts to your net frame is a great option.. sees more use than my nets. When fishing consecutive days it's possible to rig small micro seines from dead sticks and light mesh. Stake them just below target areas and check them periodically.. take them out when done. I also have network of friends that live on the river. Email or text exchanges of "what was on deck / windows" under lights in the morning can be very helpful.

Best of luck.. B

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 7:53 am • # 26 

Its probably time to let this one go, but I have a bad habit of trying to see things from a number of angles, and I took the time to peek at this one from an outsider's perspective, and that of the quarry. (bear in mind, I have no dog in this fight)

I'm moving through my day to day routine, and grab a snack. Suddenly, I'm impaled on a hook through the roof of my mouth (or lip, or tongue or, if my luck (and aim) is really off, my scrotum). I'm dragged around for about ten minutes while I struggle to release myself, and then I'm pulled into an environment where I cannot breathe. If the 'right' kind of predator captures me, then I am released, perhaps after a quick photo or appreciative glance. I gotta say, under these circumstances, getting my stomach pumped might not have been the low point in my day.

I guess what I'm saying is, if we're going to hook and play fish purely for our own enjoyment, (and I have no intention of stopping), then we may be on rather low-lying moral high ground when it comes to stomach pumps. And this is, of course, just my opinion, and worth every penny you paid for it.
Brent

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 7:30 pm • # 27 

What my good friend Brent said and then some. Come on stomach pumps, this friends
Is a pastime, hobby, not biology 101' we are not disecting frogs, we are getting to sophisticated and this sport is getting to technically oriented when we are
Talking about putting a pump down a fishes gullet, who here has the medical creditials not to harm the fish? Nobody, maybe Brent does because if his professional background in biology and entomology ..we may as well go back to worm fishing or snatch hooking fish serves the same purpose ..stomach pumps. What's next? Injecting fish with tranquilizers ....go fishng and enjoy the experience, don't even handle the dam thing, it s on loan to us for others to enjoy ...

Paul

Cliff ...good thing my friend didn't see your post on burning cats, she would have
Pulled the rest of the hair outa your head, all three strands !!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 8:27 pm • # 28 

I see the dust has been blown off my post. As I mentioned before the discussion has been good. I find it strange though so many people took exception to the idea of using a pump(out of concern for the fish) but don't seem to have an issue with actually hooking, playing and releasing the fish. Once you're willing to do that, I really don't feel pumping the stomach, taking a measurement or a quick photo(if done with speed and care), is much worse. If one is that concerned about the fish's welfare, then just cut the bend off your hook and watch them rise to only the fly.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 8:48 pm • # 29 

Convoluted to say the least ..but to each his own, I don't follow the logic that " pumping the stomach, taking a measurement or a quick photo is much worse, you really gotta be kidding me right ??? Much worse than what? Filleting the fish streamside .. Leave the dam thing alone !! Don't even handle it ... I promised the administration on here that I would be more tolerant of the forum members and be polite and not be confrontational ...but when people try to convince me that stomach pumps are a good thing I say " bring on the rectal pumps with preparation H, it won't hurt the fish as much ....cya I'm outa this discussion ..

Paul

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 9:20 pm • # 30 

TexasRiverBum wrote:
I've found that if you can sufficiently hurt the fishes self esteem by using words like; "toad", "chunky", "pig" and so on that they will often begin to purge themselves.

My favorite reply on this thread :)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 9:47 pm • # 31 

Sorry, Schuey. Didn't mean to re-open the bait can.
I realize on re-read that my post may have been poorly written. I've never used a stomach pump, but since I do hook and play fish purely for my enjoyment (notwithstanding their discomfort), I don't feel I can say too much about someone who pumps the occasional trout gullet.
And yeah, I gotta agree with shotgunner; the 'shaming' approach seems the most sophisticated.
... but at the end of the day, it IS just fishing, right?

Brent

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 8:09 am • # 32 

No need to apologize Brent. The sentiments in your posts from yesterday were exactly how I felt about the subject of pumps(and photos, measurements, etc) from the beginning. My recent reply wasn't specific to any particular post. I was taking the whole thread into account. The discussion is good.

ps You're right, Shotgunner nailed it.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 4:35 pm • # 33 

Schuey wrote:
Does anyone have any experience with the turkey baster type of throat/stomach pumps? Obviously using them on too stressed or too small a fish is a bad idea but any other tips would be appreciated. While I've often looked in a trout's mouth before releasing it to see if its regurgitated anything, I've never brought myself to getting a pump. I'm still on the fence about this, guessing what its eating is part of the mystery but some days I'm left scratching my head. Thanks.

Aren't all fish brought to the hand with hook and line, stressed?
Do you accept odds as good they will expire from your gastronomic investigations?

I'm curious more than anything. Im not really a piscatorial paladin and I bristle when I hear the word, "ban." Meanwhile, I see where it could be useful.
It does strike me as invasive, like being abducted by "probing" aliens.

But if you are judicious with it, and size the "probe" accordingly, well, sure.
–------------------••-------------

Now me PERSONALLY, I'm probably not gonna do it. I'll just try various sizes and types of fly from among the Big 4, until I hit on one they will take.
- Once I catch a keeper, I'll perform surgery on him and slip him in the creel.
- If it's C&R, then I'll abide by that and keep fishing, since now I know.

If I catch nothing and never find out, I'll remember the words of Thoreau and go home for spaghetti.

"Many men go fishing all of their lives, without knowing that it is not fish they are after." - Henry David Thoreau

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 11:23 am • # 34 

Talk about invasive, have you ever had a colonoscopy?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 11:43 am • # 35 

Cliff:
No, but thanks for the generous offer. ;)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 11:45 am • # 36 

Cliff Hilbert wrote:
Talk about invasive, have you ever had a colonoscopy?
aint the truth

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 3:27 pm • # 37 

As much as we try to avoid the gills, it doesn't seem prudent to place a tube down the trout's throat and chance damaging something else internally.
if there is no blood when the fish is brought to hand, I try to release as gently as possible, as quickly as possible.
Besides, you've already caught the fish. you know what they are taking.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 4:42 pm • # 38 

I've replaced my landing net with a tennis racket, and serve the smaller fish out into the river, aiming as much as possible for the spot that I first hooked them. They make a nice, satisfying "PUNK" kind of a sound, followed by a splash. I call it giving them the Hilbert. ;)
Brent

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 5:41 pm • # 39 

I won't use one. They have to do some damage to the trout.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 5:42 pm • # 40 

Since I've become a self-proclaimed Minimalist I had to decide if I had room for a pump.
It was either that, or my brandy flask.

The flask won.

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next   Page 2 of 3   [ 48 posts ] New Topic Add Reply