It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:33 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 7 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 9:04 pm • # 1 

They seem to disappear in the pond I fish. Any tips? I use a one weight or a three weight. Maybe should try a sink tip. Ideas most welcome. Thanks.

Paul

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 1:46 pm • # 2 

Long leader and indicator... It's gonna turn into more like "bobber" fishing because you'll cast to deep holes that have some sort of weed bed or cover and just let the fly sit until you see the indicator move... Bluegill will sit and examine that fly and decide to eat it but it's basically just gotta sit there... Give the tiniest tug or jiggle so the indicator helps "jig" the fly... Sorta like ice fishing without the ice

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 12:24 pm • # 3 

I have seen bluegill suck and spit a fly faster than any trout, especially in winter. They can also act like Chris Rock in "I'm Gonna Git You Sucka", and will just taste-test a leg or a tail, or nibble on a hackle barb, with nary a tug. It can be tough out there.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 12:27 pm • # 4 
Administrator

Weightforward, thanks for that image!!!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 7:26 pm • # 5 

Bluegills in my experience go deep when water temperatures drop ( I'm using south Florida as an example ) with that in mind I'll go to a fast sinking line with weighted nymphs but now that I think about it water temps drop gradually down south, there aren't any extreme freezing conditions as in Oregon where Rockthief resides, we did some experimenting with cold conditions last fall at the St. Louis ponds in Oregon using weighted beadheaded nymphs with not much success, the waters in those ponds where very brown and murky ....

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 9:59 pm • # 6 

My favorite big bluegill & cold water fly is an unweighted wooly worm in yellow with red wool yarn tail & grizzly hackle & it's a killer in cold water. I want the slowest sinking visible fly in cold water & this serves that purpose. Fishing a pond, water is usually shallow, so a 9' leader of 6x fluoro should be fine. Let 'er sink, be patient & just a few long, SLOW strips before recasting. Stay alert as hits will be subtle & either on the drop or you'll hook 'em by accident on the strip. I do not use an indicator.

Mikey

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 6:16 pm • # 7 

It'd be ice fishing this time of year up here for Bluegill.

Page 1 of 1   [ 7 posts ] New Topic Add Reply