It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:58 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 6 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: Stevens model 94
PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 9:54 pm • # 1 

Last year I got a Stevens model 94 for a steal. The but stock was broke and I had to replace it. Which was kind of difficult because it had the original synthetic stock (I believe they were called Tanite). But I thought it would be cool to give this old gun some new furniture. I bought some "unfinished" walnut furniture. Come to find out their definition of unfinished meant it had to be final fitted, sanded (for days), and sealed.

I like the look of the rustic gun, but there are a few things I still want to do to it. I really want to find a time correct butt plate for it. I want to get all the metal parts refinished (reblued or maybe cerakoted).

But I have a few questions for anybody that has knowledge about these shotguns. The stamp on the side says 94b. What is the difference the 94a through 94b and so on. Also, does anybody know what kind of choke these have? It does not say anywhere what choke it has. I was wanting to take it deer hunting this year and was wondering if I could shoot slug or would I have to use buck shot.

Thanks in advance

Post subject: Re: Stevens model 94
PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 9:49 am • # 2 

I have a model 94 Long Tom that I've hunted with since I was 12 years old. I have many shotguns, but if I want to make sure I hit something, that's the one I grab. When I hunted constantly, I could take 2 shells in my fingers and get off 3 shots nearly as fast as my friends pump guns.

I believe the letters are date codes. I found this online, but not sure it's correct information

Remove the foren, dismount the barrel, and check the metal undersides for a stamped-in circled letter.

There should be a circled letter stamped somewhere there - the Savage Letter Date Code - IF the gun was made between 1949 and 1970.

The codes started with "A" in 1949, continuing to "X" in 1970, skipping "I" & "O".

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 11:41 am • # 3 

I had a long tom in the 16 guage when I was a boy/young man. Hunted ducks and squirrel and I always came home with as many as my buddies got with their pumps and automatics. Wish I still had it. (Sold it for $10 to buy gas one time when I was away from home and flat broke) Thanks for the memories Moose-p-

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 11:41 am • # 4 

Wow, Gene, you remember that far back??? That must have been in the late 1800s when you were young?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 1:07 pm • # 5 

My question is, how do you break a synthetic stock? I'm not an avid hunter, and the only shotgun I have, has a wooden stock, but I they all seem pretty sturdy to me.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 10:42 pm • # 6 

weiliwen wrote:
My question is, how do you break a synthetic stock? I'm not an avid hunter, and the only shotgun I have, has a wooden stock, but I they all seem pretty sturdy to me.

The guy I got it from bought it to refurbish and resale, but didn't realize how bad it was until he got home.

It was broke right behind the tang. There was still a piece of the stock on the side of the tang and the screw that holds the stock on was broke off inside the rear of the tang as well. It looks like somebody was hunting with it and tripped and fell while it in their hands. That's the only way I can see it broken the way it was.

Page 1 of 1   [ 6 posts ] New Topic Add Reply