It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:17 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 9 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: .458 SOCOM input
PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 10:37 pm • # 1 

I decided to add another short barrel to the reportoire; I'm getting a 10.5" .458 SOCOM barrel for door-kicking and hog hunting. As my eyes approach 70 years of age I find they don't work like they used to for fast and furious handgun hunting. So, in my quest for a viable handgun-range hog hunting rig that I can also use on raids (I don't do as many of them as I used to, but I still get to run a few), I decided on the SOCOM. It has long been at the top of my "I want one" list, but I have never owned or loaded for one, so I'm wondering if any of you guys and gals load for it. I'm thinking 300 to 325 grain hollowpoints for social work and heavier bullets (maybe?) for the hogs. Looking for recommendations and maybe some good handloads if anyone here loads for it. I may put a can on it later, but for now I will use it unsuppressed. Help an old man out here..........

Post subject: Re: .458 SOCOM input
PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 5:50 am • # 2 

Is the SOCOM the AR equivalent of the .45-70? My brother wants to build one when he is done with his Creedmoor. I'll ask if he has any load data. I'm not a big AR guy but I will say his AAC Blackout is a lot of fun.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 11:19 am • # 3 

It is. I've never been an AR groupie, but much of my issue with it is my lack of fondness for the 5.56mm round. The modularity of the platform and the plethora of calibers available now have made me appreciate the AR more. Since the receiver this new barrel is going on is already registered as a SBR I don't have to pay a new tax and wait the better part of the year for a stamp. And that .300 Blackout is a stellar round.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:56 pm • # 4 

FishingHiker, in my search for data I have stumbled across a pretty good resource your brother might be interested in if he's planning to run a SOCOM: the .458 SOCOM forums. I've been reading the various sections of it and there seems to be a lot of experience and knowledge on tap there. There seems to be a consensus on the best dies, the best lube, the best powders, gas systems, magazines, and a lot of other SOCOM-specific info. Let him know about it if he isn't already aware of it.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:22 pm • # 5 

Thank you, will do.

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 9:56 pm • # 6 

Well, I got my upper in finally. I had Rock River Arms do their "Beast" model in a 10 1/2" barrel, and had an extended wait before they cut the barrel. They like to wait until they have several to cut. I overlooked a small detail that was brought back to memory when I attempted to mount the upper to my Colt receiver; it has the old large Colt-style pivot pin. I found an offset, two-piece stepped pin (at eabco.net, if anyone else has the same problem) with that will solve my dilemna; I just ordered it. So, I have to wait a while longer before I can play with my new toy.........

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 9:59 pm • # 7 

The SOCOM is done. Wish I could post photos. I finished the camouflage job and I'm ready to pop some piggies with it. Gotta load some ladders and dig out the old chronograph now.....

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:00 pm • # 8 

Got a ladder loaded with H-110 and the 300 grain Sierra HP. Now I just need to find the time to shoot them.....

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:32 pm • # 9 

Now I have loaded ladders with H-110 and 325 Gr. Hornady FTXs.

Also with RL-7 and both of the projectiles listed above. Still no time to shoot them (wet weather is a factor). Got the scope boresighted and the chronograph dusted off.......

Page 1 of 1   [ 9 posts ] New Topic Add Reply