It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:27 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 13 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: Magpul Pmags
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:45 pm • # 1 

Anybody here had issues with Pmags? I voiced my issues (constant double feeds) and was told that it's impossible for Pmags to double feed and that my rifle is a POS that nothing will work with (their website says they'll work with my rifle). The guy really rubbed me the wrong way. I always heard they had great customer service; I'm wondering if I just got a jerk on the line, or if others have had the same issues with them.

Post subject: Re: Magpul Pmags
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:17 am • # 2 

I tried a ProMag for my Shield 9. It acted like the follower was too short, it was twisting and binding in the mag tube, sticking and the cartridges falling out. I just got 2 for my Taurus PT111. I will find out on a warmer day how they perform.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:05 pm • # 3 

Interesting side note: Tuesday we had firearms quals. The PD recently bought a bunch of Magpul magazines for the ARs. Several double feeds occurred, something we haven't seen before. All of them with the new Magpuls.........

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 3:11 pm • # 4 

Well Jim you guys are obviously doing something wrong. There is no way the Army, Marines, and Air Force could be wrong about authorizing the use of these mags. I mean, never while I was in the Marines did I never know the Corps to make a mistake and I'm sure you noticed the same thing about the Army. :x ::)

Larry

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:44 pm • # 5 

Jim,
Are you guys using the Generation 3 Pmags? They are supposed to be compatible with all of the 5.56 AR's. However, I know the Army and Marines banned the earlier generations in 2012 because of some incompatibility issues, especially with the HK416.

Larry

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 5:48 pm • # 6 

My understanding is that they're Gen IIIs but I'd need to confirm that. When I mentioned the issue to my nephew, a captain in the USMC and an avid shooter, he laughed and said that the only magazines he trusts are Lancers. Interestingly, had I bought three Lancers for my .458 SOCOM last year because of their reputation, and they are 100% reliable. I ordered three of them for the 7.62 (the rifle in the original post). I found out that if you order direct they have a 25% LE / Military discount.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:33 am • # 7 

In retrospect, I guess that I should add some info here. The rifle in the original post is a DPMS GII Recon 7.62. The ARs the city issues are all 5.56 / .223s. I have never been a fan of the .223 (going back to my 13 month vacation in sunny South Viet Nam when my hair was still dark -- the government-sponsored tour was my second visit to that tropical paradise); I prefer a cartridge developed for larger game than woodchucks. I needed a .308 patrol rifle and had a financial windfall; I wanted a GAP-10 (8-10 month wait) or a Larue (12 month wait), and the third choice was a LMT (8-10 months). So, since I've never seen a DPMS .308 that didn't shoot stellar groups with decent ammo -- and I knew several guys who owned them -- I went with that. Not as expensive as the first choices, but not what I'd consider a piece of junk by any means, and available the same day I plunked my hard-earned shekels down.

As our agency's firearms instructor -- and one of our snipers -- it's pretty embarrassing to have to pull my rifle off the line during quals because I can't get through a magazine without several malfunctions. With mandatory timed reloads, I have to use the backup magazines. I called Magpul for some help, not to have my rifle (which I am quite proud of, even if it isn't a GAP-10) called a cheap piece of crap. The nice customer support rep told me that "It's impossible for a Magpul magazine to double feed." Then he told me that my bolt carrier was improperly cut and was dragging on the feed lips (I had a hard time keeping from laughing at that one). When I told him that I was holding the magazines in my hand, with several hundred rounds through them, and that the feed lips were pristine, he told me that my recoil spring was improperly tensioned. When I asked why the spring rate was untenable for the Magpuls, but the DPMS factory magazine had never malfunctioned with it, he told me that I had bought a cheap rifle that nothing was going to work with.

If their website says their magazines will work with the rifle (it says they won't hold the bolt open on a DPMS GII .308, indicating to me that they have tested it with that platform) I don't expect to hear that nothing will work with it because it's a "cheap rifle". I ain't gettin' rich on a cop's pay......... But I don't think I was out of line to be offended by that jerk's "help" for the problem with my magazines.

At any rate, I will never buy another Magpul product again, after having to deal with that jerk.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:55 pm • # 8 

But did I understand you to say that the other guys with the 5.56 rifles were also experiencing double feeds?

Larry

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:58 pm • # 9 

Canoeman1947 wrote:
But did I understand you to say that the other guys with the 5.56 rifles were also experiencing double feeds?

Larry

That is correct. Not all of them, but several. All with the new Magpuls.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:15 am • # 10 

Sounds like Magpul is having a QA problem that they had better address very quickly. I would also send a message to their CEO, letting him know that when a customer has a complaint they should receive a respectful hearing, not a snotty runaround. Also let him know that he now has a group of LE people who are unhappy with his product and would not be unwilling to let others know about it.

Larry

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:45 pm • # 11 

Just a followup; the Lancers all work flawlessly in my cheap piece of crap that nothing will work with. Thank you, Magpul, for the benefit of your superior knowledge and workmanship. I won't forget it.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2021 11:02 pm • # 12 

I have a number of Pmags and like them but I did some research and found out that C-Products DuraMags were at one time supplied to the military. These are wonderful mags. They make both aluminum and stainless steel. I have both but the steel just ooze quality. I also have a few of the unicorn-like HK 556 mags and the DuraMags are right there in quality and run $15 bucks whereas the HK's are around $80 bucks.

I'm a bit of a mag sl*t and always try to find the most durable and reliable mags I can find. The DuraMags are some that you should check out.

Joe-Bob's has them:
https://www.joeboboutfitters.com/AR15-M ... C-Products

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2021 8:42 am • # 13 

Good to know; thanks for the input. I'm still delighted with my Lancers; they are all I use for the .458 SOCOM and the .300 Blackouts. As little as I care for the 5.56 / .223, I broke down and bought one a few months ago; I was afraid I wouldn't be able to get any ammunition for any of the other calibers, and primers, powder, and bullets are quite scarce. Any way, I bought some Lancers for it and they work flawlessly. For now it has a night scope on it and will be my coyote gun if I can ever score some 62 grain SPs (I finally got some small rifle primers, but I paid dearly for them).

Page 1 of 1   [ 13 posts ] New Topic Add Reply