It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:44 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 9 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 10:03 pm • # 1 

I really hesitate to bring this up here because I know folks are even more passionate about firearms than they are about UL fishing poles Image but here goes:

I'm in the market for a very small frame gun that can be carried easily in cargo shorts, etc. My budget is around $400 or less. While initially looking at J-Frame sized Taurus type of revolvers I came across a couple .380 autos that were intriguing (and yes, I know it's almost impossible to find .380 ammo right now in large parts of the country). The autos were also more compact than the small frame revolvers although I know the reliability issue raises its head quickly.

The two auto's I looked at and handled (but have not fired) are the Sig 238 and Ruger LCP. The Ruger is about $100 cheaper but other than that I liked the feel of both. I think the Sig would be the better pistol but the Ruger may very well be good enough.

Do any of you guys have *hands-on* experience with either of these guns? There are plenty of sites out there that praise and demonize each of these models--like everything else I guess. I'd just lke to get some info from someone I'm acquainted with who actually owns or has fired either.

BTW, this is not a piece of wilderness kit--I have a .45 for that. This is geared more toward urban bipeds who haunt some of the fishing areas around here Image

---
How To Make Fishing Lures - Great Bonus Ebooks: https://bit.ly/2w5jCtB

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 7:55 pm • # 2 

I just saw this. Do yourself a favor and look at some of the small 9mm offerings. You can find reliable small 9s that are comparable in size to the .380s you are considering, and that will fall well within your budget. As you are probably well aware, the .380 ACP and the 9mm P both use the same diameter projectile, but the 9 uses heavier projectiles at higher velocities. And while I would never have considered either to be a viable social cartridge at one time, 9mm ammunition has become much more reliable and consistent from the standpoint of terminal ballistics. I have tow 9mm pistols now that I rely on completely; a S&W Shield and a SIG P-365. For your application, consider the Keltec (among others), it's compact, reliable, and affordable.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:16 pm • # 3 

Also consider the Glock 43; small, subcompact, single stack 9mm.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 4:18 pm • # 4 

Lcp is the way to go 1/3 smaller and half the weight of most single stack 9mms. On the down side is the trigger pull 7 lb pull on a 9 1/2 oz pistol. The 380 is not that far behind the short barrel 9s eather.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 4:16 pm • # 5 

Another vote for The LCP and do yourself a favor and use Buffalo Bore or Underwood ammo . They both have the same stout 380 load but Underwood is cheaper .

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2022 10:20 pm • # 6 

The .380. is too small a caliber for practical defensive use, in my opinion, and ammo is expensive.

I have two small 9mm's, a Sig P365 and a Glock 43. I loved the P365 until it started dropping mags on the practice range. I went back to the trusty Glock 43.

The G43 is small, effective and goes bang every-single-time without fail, with any ammo. Couple a G43 with a pocket holster from DeSantis and you've got a great summer shorts carry gun.

Yes, the G43 holds fewer rounds than the Sig P365 or a Springfield Hellcat or others but it also weighs less (because of the fewer rounds) and is slimmer being a single-stack pistol. Perfect for a small pocket pistol.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2022 2:44 pm • # 7 

If you're set on the 380 have a serious look at the Glock 42. A bit bigger than the LCP but that just means you can grip/shoot easier. Typical boring Glock, it goes bang when you pull the trigger. Get 2 extra mags and convert at least 1 with Mag Guts to give you an extra round

We all used to poo poo the 9mm, but it's come a long way since the 80's. 380 has also come a long way...

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2022 5:10 pm • # 8 

Small "mouse" guns are hard to manipulate and harder to shoot and be accurate...not saying it can't be done, just harder.

They seem to get lost in the hand etc.

Smallest I would recommend is a S&W Shield or the like in 9mm. I carry one every time I'm out on the water.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 8:55 pm • # 9 

My three preferred carry guns are a 9mm Smith & Wesson Shield, a 9mm Glock 19M, and a Glock 32 in .357 Sig.

Smaller guns have their allure, but if the crap ever actually hit the fan, things will get real serious real quick, and you’ll be extremely grateful that you had a ‘real’ pistol in your hand. (I like my .45’s, too. I have a Smith & Wesson 1917 revolver, 2 1911’s, a Smith &Wesson M & P 2.0 Compact, and an H & K USP 45.)

Page 1 of 1   [ 9 posts ] New Topic Add Reply