It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:04 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next   Page 3 of 4   [ 74 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 9:01 am • # 41 
Administrator

Quote:
randolph20 wrote:

I too bought a lot blades that really never used more than testing on opening letters....

btw isn't assist opening considered illegal somewhere in States?
Mine get used multiple times a day. I always have at least one on me and rotate through them regularly. Every few months I'll sit down with a sharpening kit and spend an afternoon sharpening 8 or 10 at once.

Up to now I've resisted the urge to spend more than $50 on one though. I tend to abuse them a bit by cutting cardboard, stripping insulation off wires, cutting plastic blister-pac, etc. Things that I probably wouldn't want to do with a really nice knife Image

I don't think assisted-openers are illegal in any state although I know there are some cities that will go after you for carrying one. I have a friend in NYC who is afraid to carry his. I know they're sold in Walmarts all over the country and I read on http://www.kniferights.org that an estimated 80% of new pocket knives sold in the US are now assisted opening and the domestic knife manufacturers employ directly or indirectly around 24,000 people. There was enough clout there to successfully block some recent attempts to make assisted openers illegal.

I've read of a few arrests even here in Texas although the folks were getting arrested for some crime other than the knife and the officer's just threw the knife charge in for good measure. I'm not sure about convictions--I think it would depend on what the person was doing with the knife at the time.

BTW, J's correct about the speed of opening a non-assisted opening knife. I have a Buck Alpha Hunter that you can flick open with your thumb much faster than any of my assisted opening knives and a lot of knives with heavier blades can be loosened up enough to allow them to be opened with just the sharp flick of the wrist. No springs or thumbs needed.

Last edited by jdub on Wed Dec 30, 2009 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 4:16 pm • # 42 

now i get it,the grey zone isn't it. I've been looking through some butterfly knives, particularly benchmade morpho 32, small enough to carry around for small cutting task, but again worry about getting troubles. Shops here In Vancouver do not carry butterfly knives, and i am not sure if i can get them thru ebay via post. What's everyone's thought on butterfly knives?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 4:20 pm • # 43 
Administrator

I can't comment on your laws in Canada, but they are illegal in places here in the States.

J.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 4:39 pm • # 44 
Administrator

randolph20 wrote:
now i get it,the grey zone isn't it. I've been looking through some butterfly knives, particularly benchmade morpho 32, small enough to carry around for small cutting task, but again worry about getting troubles. Shops here In Vancouver do not carry butterfly knives, and i am not sure if i can get them thru ebay via post. What's everyone's thought on butterfly knives?
My son has one and asked a DPS officer friend about it. The officer told him that as long as the blade is under 5" and only sharp on one side, and it doesn't have any kind of spring or gravity opener then he's pretty safe although he wouldn't recommend anyone carry one. Personally I figure it's probably bad form to be playing with any kind of knife while police officers are around Image

I think your best bet would be to contact a manufacturer like Benchmade or Kershaw and ask them. They *have* to keep up on federal, state, and international law to stay in business. Looking around on the internet you're likely to get all kinds of bogus info (and yeah, I'm guilty too) Image

BTW, I think butterfly knives are pretty cool. I spent a couple years in Thailand and they were more common over there. Cool stuff!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 5:41 pm • # 45 

I guess I'll play too! Here are a few of my favorite ultralights:

Since I carry a behemoth of a .45 with a Tac light on duty, this qualifies as ultralight for me (3wt Image). I did the grip reduction and stipple myself--I couldn't stomach the price to have anyone else do it. 15+1, and it tucks nicely under a shirt!

Somebody mentioned small bore shotguns.... This is a Thomas Wild .410 mfg. around 1880. I hunted quail with it until I sold it a few years back. I did the restock myself (including the fleur de lis checkering in the grip) and was really proud of it.

Here's a pic of my favorite "ultralight" toy. LMT .223 with a 10" upper (fully ATF legal, mind you!) that I use for entry work

And last, just because, I guess I'll call it an ultralight holster.... I got off into making holsters a dozen years ago. I don't make many anymore--just for friends. Here's one I used as a model on my website when I was selling them....

Enjoy!!!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 9:19 pm • # 46 
Administrator

Looks like you have some serious gunsmithing and leatherwork skills Jaybird! Very nice!

I know kydex has become a very popular holster material but they're not nearly as classy as a nice leather one. Cool stuff!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 3:46 am • # 47 

Thanks JDub! I really enjoy working with my hands. More than anything, I enjoy figuring out how someone considered to be a "master" makes their product. I started with leather when I fell in love with nice leather holsters like Galco and Mitch Rosen. I wanted one really badly, but had just finished grad school and was flat broke. I went to the old Tandy Leather Co. in Lubbock, and bought two pieces of scrap leather. I got some tips from a local saddle maker, and by the third or fourth one, they were starting to look pretty good. From there it was on to exotics.... I've done gator, ostrich, stingray, elephant, etc. All of the stitching is done by hand. My backside did pucker a bit more with taking a dremel and wood burning iron to my Glock--I knew it would void the factory warranty, and I might end up with a nice paperweight. Turned out OK, tho....

As for the butterfly knife issue, the information your son got from the trooper is correct for Texas. As long as the blade is under 5.25" and sharpened on only one side, and is not opened by a spring or gravity, you are good to go. You can own the others (switchblades, stilettos, etc) but you cannot carry them in public. The big one that people forget about here is fixed-blade knives. Most hunting and filet knives are over 5.25", and a cop could "legally" hem you up for carrying one. The cops I work with all apply common sense and good judgment in this arena. Carrying one into a bank between your teeth with a ski mask over your head will get you arrested. Carrying one in your car when you have fishing tackle with you most likely will not.

Happy New Year!!!!

--jay

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:32 pm • # 48 

A post on the 'glass fly rod board reminded of this one, which I hadn't checked in quite a while. Great to read through and see all the stuff. I like tuxedo knives, mini-stockman, and variants, and often pick one up as a reminder of a fishing trip someplace. Sorry, I happened to put a heavy target 12 ga. in the photo, which I took recently for another post, but it does have some of the pocket knives. The lower Catskills, often thought of as the cradle of American flyfishing, are also the cradle of the German immigrant-developed cutlery industry. The plants around Ellenville are closed now, although the names have been revived with Chinese production. They make good stuff, too. If I'd thought ahead I'd have put my Garbi S X S 20 gauge, various light, handy .22s like my single shot Ithaca and a Nylon 66, and so on. I have the heavier, longer-barreled Ruger single six and autoloader; don't use them much anymore and would prefer the trimmest of those models today, or just a Smith .22 kit gun.

Last edited by whrlpool on Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:40 pm • # 49 
Administrator

Whrlpool,
Welcome to the site. As you can see lots of like- minded (guns & knives) folks are here too.

Les

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 7:04 pm • # 50 

whrlpool wrote:
If I'd thought ahead I'd have put my Garbi S X S 20 gauge on.
Hey Whirlpool,

I'd sure love to see a pic of your 20ga Garbi--I have one also. Garbis are not very common in my experience. Mine is a 53a I believe, which is one of the boxlock 20's they made in the 50-60's. It's a wonderful little 20 with an english stock and ejectors. I'll try to post a pic when I can. All the best--Jay.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:04 am • # 51 

Sorry, I can't get on much of a well composed photo kick right now, but here's a quick job, which took me way less time than finding the little Ithaca .22 at the top. I still have moderate to severe disarray from having moved recently, which doesn't bother me; I kind of like it. A fun little gun that I used target shooting with my kids and also with .22 shorts to plunk red squirrels and send the tails to a guy in Australia who wanted them for a favorite fly he tied. I ran across my wife's Savage 20 ga boxlock, nothing special except that it was relatively light for a plain USA made S x S and for a few years around 1980 it came in 24" barrels, "Quail Special," as I recall. Then there's the Garbi. Garbi made high grade shotguns, probably still does, but once and a while their plain grade guns were imported, and this was well past the time when Spanish quality control and metallurgy had been improved. I have the box someplace with the model #, which I think was 51B, but it was about the most basic field gun they made. Well constructed mechanicals, well laid out but plain wood. Way heavy trigger pulls, but I shot the dickens out of it for years back when I had bird dogs. I don't know if the carrying wear will show much in the photo, but it spent hundreds of days afield. It was a Ruffed Grouse Society banquet gun in the early '80s. It, along with one of my dogs and usually a grouse or woodcock has been pictured here and there over the years: Gun Dog, Wing & Shot, some regional publications, a TV segment and probably others I don't remember. One I do remember showed the gun pretty well along with my Brittany and a pheasant out back of the place I just moved from. I have a stash of that stuff and a lot of the original photos someplace that I also can't lay my hands on promptly or I'd have tossed them in the background.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:11 am • # 52 
Administrator

I have that same Ithaca lever-action .22! It was my first firearm and it's a great one!

Nice looking side-by-sides too!

Last edited by jdub on Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:01 am • # 53 
Administrator

Whrlpool,
Do you prefer the English Style stocks over the traditional pistol grip version? I see these are double trigger guns as well. How do you like them?
I have my grandfather's LC Smith 16 guage side by side with double triggers. It too has a pistol grip and took me a little getting used to, since I had cut my teeth on O/U guns. But after some use, I shoot it pretty well. Just took some time and practice.

Les

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:02 pm • # 54 

Wow. Glad you folks are interested, and I'll try a reply,mindful that you asked to drift the topic. Now there is a more volatile subject than most fly-fishing ones, but I'll just try to describe what I did and do. Used to be I plinked various .22s about 1000 rounds a month, broke a few clay targets with my field guns, usually a 20 ga. Ruger Red Label o/u or a Winchester 101 12 ga. o/u, and hunted a few hours virtually every day of the small game season. Over the last 15 years or so, that has pretty much reversed: 5 to 10 thousand rounds a year at clay targets, mostly 5-stand, a touch with the .22s on a whim, and very little upland hunting, and even less shooting when I do go. Don't much care if I ever shoot a game bird again. Carry an unloaded gun when I go, load up only on a point, and don't shoot unless no one else has a good opportunity. Run beagles on snoeshoe hare year round in a private training grounds--no guns involved, and run in the wild a bit during hunting season, but rarely shoot and would prefer to see a kid or a newcomer bang away.

So these days when I hunt, I usually take a 20 gauge pump or full-choke .410 pump. These are tools, not fine guns. The .410 gauge isn't much of a killing gun, I only take ideal shots with it, but when a I do fire, I hit. Pumps are just great knockabout guns, and with rabbit hunting especially, the going gets pretty rough.

Nevertheless, break actions are the ideal upland guns to me, partly just as a matter of safety since they are easily opened or, as I do, carried empty and loaded quickly when the need says now: a dog on point or a beagle at full cry driving a rabbit toward the gunner. Of the types, I guess I've shot far more birds with the s x s, that Garbi in particular, but I've used various o/u's as well, a Browning superposed 20 ga. a little, and a Ruger 20 a lot. Used to be I favored the s x s, but now it would be an o/u. That's because so much of my shooting is with 12 ga, 30" barrel, fairly heavy over/unders on clay targets. On these and a comparable, slightly lighter, field gun, I like a fairly open pistol grip, not the more confining target grips. A mild pistol grip suits the gun type; I never cared for a straight stock on an o/u. I prefer a selective single trigger on an o/u.

On the s x s, it's the opposite. For the trimmest field gun, a straight English grip, which goes with double triggers. Gotta have a splinter foreend, too, so the barrels sit down in the hands, fingers up around the barrels. Some s x s designs just aren't trim enough to begin with to feel right with a straight stock or splinter foreend to me, the old Miroku-made Brownings being an example. A well made, durable gun that I almost bought more than once, but the straight grip on that robust boxlock just didn't feel right to me. It wouldn't on that bulky Savage, either. But it's not a strong preference, so mild pistol gripped stocks like on the Savage (I had one in 12 ga. also) work fine for me. I don't figure to ever get another s x s, so I don't have to think much about it, and it wouldn't be a deciding factor anyhow, the overall carry-and-shoot feel being more important in a field gun. Any s/s I prefer with a double trigger--very easy to become second-nature in use. I'd probably feel awkward with a single trigger s x s and find myself fumbling the trigger guard feeling for the second trigger.

Last edited by whrlpool on Wed Jan 13, 2010 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 5:39 am • # 55 

This discussion set me to looking for stuff. I ran across a few other knives, along with two old photos of the Garbi, and various pictures of the results with my bird dogs. It is almost as hard to take a photo of old photos as it is to find them.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 6:20 am • # 56 

Nice!!! You should get a copy of that and frame it.....Memories of a good dog and companion are priceless....Rob

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 8:00 pm • # 57 

A little late to this post, but I'll add a few pictures since I'm into LR shooting/hunting.

We'll start with a few hunting knifes.

Gene Ingram-Slim-S30v, California buckeye burl/black liners. Unfortunately, I lost this knife on our last duck/goose hunt. :( Makes me sick to my stomach. Someones going to find a nice knife in the leather sheath on side of the road. Image

Gene Ingram- Slim- S30v, white micarta handles/black liners.

Gene Ingram-#1 DP, D2, natural mircarta handles/black liners.

Gene Ingram #1 Semi, D2, natural mircarta handles/black liners. Currently just sold this yesterday to fund my Sage TXL 00. :)

Gene Ingram #1 Semi, S30v, green micarta handles/white liners.

Ka-bar

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 8:44 pm • # 58 

.223ai
700- trued
PN barrel, light weight contour finished @ 21"
1/8" twist
Mcmillan mountain rifle stock. 50%orange 50% black.
Leupold 3.5-10*40 w/mildot and target turrets
Talley rings
Spiral fluted bolt
Bolt knob

GAP built .223ai
700- trued
Jewell trigger
Schneider barrel, #7 contour finished @ 22"
1/8 twist
Mcmillan A5, forest camo.
Seekin 30mm low rings
Seekin SA 20 moa base
Badger M4 alloy bottom metal
NF NXS 3.5-15*50 NPR1 ret.
Eagle stock pack

My g/f's .223ai I had built for her.

223ai
700- trued
Mike Rock barrel, varmint contour finished @ 21"
1/8" twist
RB LV-1 trigger
Mcmillan A5, 60%grape/40%purple
Williams steel bottom metal
Leupold VXIII 6.5-20*40 w/M1 turrets
Talley rings
Spiral fluted barrel/bolt
Bolt knob
Cerakoted in black

.17 remington
700- trued
PN barrle, light weight contour, finished @ 24"
Mcmillan mountain rifle stock, desert camo
Spiral fluted bolt
Bolt knob
Swaro 4-12*50.
Talley ring

Remington 40HB
.22lr
Authentic Mcmillan USMC M40A1 return stock.
William bottom metal
Badger 20 moa base
Leupold VXIII 6.5-20*40ao, target turrets
Burris signature rings till I can find a deal on Seekin's Low 1" rings.

.243ai
700- trued
Mike Rock barrel, finished @ 23"
Fluted barrel
1/9" twist
Mcmillan classic stock 50%med blue/50%purple
Leupold VariX III 4.5-14*40ao, target turrets
Talley rings
William steel bottom metal

GAP 6.5-284
700- trued
Jewell trigger
Obermeyer barrel, finished @ 26"
Mcmillan A5, 70%black/30% red
***not pictured***
EGW 20 moa base
Leupold VXIII 8.5-25*50
Seekin's 30mm lows.

.223 AR15
Shilen barrel, 24", 1/8" twist
Stag lower
RRA NM trigger
Magpul PRS stock
Leupold VXIII 6.5-20*50
LaRue SPR mount

DPMS .204
Fluted barrel, finished @ 24"
RRA Lower
RRA NM trigger
Magpul PRS stock
Leupold VXIII 6.5-20*50
LaRue SPR mount

GAP .308
700- trued
Jewell trigger.
Mike Rock barrel, finished @ 24"
Mcmillan A5, GAP camo
Badger M5 bottom metal
Bader 20 moa base
Seekin's 30mm low rings
NF NXS 5.5-22*50 NPR1

The rifle on top, all the way to the left.

The bright blue rifle, the Red, White, and Blue rifle, and the other M40AI GAP camo rifle doesn't belong to me.

My last build I'm working on. Going to be the following. Should be done in May-ish. Still need a barrel, scope, and trigger. Barrel is coming this Wednesday.

.243ai
700- trued
Krieger barrel, finished @ 24"
Mcmillan 50%orange/50%black
ADL
Seekin's 20 moa base
Seekin's 30 mm low rings
Jewell trigger
NF NXS 3.5-15 NPR1.

And the fun, 1000yd range I shoot at.

This is just a few, still have some .22lr's, .22mag, .17HMR, shotguns and some handguns. Don't feel like digging into the safe for them.

Last edited by SuperSeal110 on Mon Mar 15, 2010 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 4:39 am • # 59 
Administrator

Superseal, Those are some really nice knives and rifles you have.

J.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:42 am • # 60 

Thank you, I've been putting them together for a few years, piece by piece. If I find a good deal, I snatch it up for a build.

I found my Gene Ingram- Slim with the California buckeye burl today while doing yard work. Been in the leather sheath for 2.5 month through the snow/rain. Knife is in excellent condition, no rust, but the handles are a little warped. Hopefully they'll shirk back to normal.

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next   Page 3 of 4   [ 74 posts ] New Topic Add Reply