It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:39 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next   Page 2 of 4   [ 74 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 5:39 am • # 21 
Administrator

Art, you may want to consider using Firefox for your browser, it will give you less headaches with Yuku although there was a font issue with Firefox. I fixed the font issue I hope, although sometimes is gets funky with Les' posts and MAC.

By the way, the new internet explorer version is reported to have issues with Yuku as well, for those of you using it.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 6:23 am • # 22 

I stopped using Firefox with Yuku because of issues that I no longer even remember. Of course, since then, both Firefox and Yuku have changed quite a bit, so I ought to give it another try. I usually have both Firefox and Safari open when I'm on line, anyway, either running work on one and play on the other, or using one to google/wiki stuff that I am dealing with on the other. I never use IE anymore. Even if I liked it, the last version that was Mac compatible was IE5!!
-CC

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:28 am • # 23 

FishingHiker wrote:
Sasha, what is the recoil like? I was shown one once and thought this is lighter than a glock it must have a heck of a recoil.

It is a bit "snappy" but it isn't really that bad.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 12:40 am • # 24 
Administrator

My smallest handgun is the Colt Commander .45 which doesn't really qualify as small, but I do have quite a few small pocketknives I keep in a daily rotation:

The one on top is a Buck Alpha Hunter--my favorite knife because it was a Father's Day gift from my knife-collecting son. The one underneath is an assisted opening Buck Rush which I disassembled to remove the lock that protruded from the back of the case.

I'm a big fan of the Ken Onion designed Kershaw assisted openers. From top to bottom, the Blur with Tanto blade, Black Scallion, and Stainless Chive.

And a few misc. Top to bottom, Boker Subcom (modified for quicker opening), Gerber Mini Fast Draw (assisted opening), and a very small SpyderCo Ladybug.

When I'm fishing I usually carry one of the knives with a serrated blade just because it's easier for cutting my flies out of trees Image

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 6:34 am • # 25 
Administrator

Nice collection Jerry.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 10:20 am • # 26 

Not particularly small, but at one ounce it's an ultralight...Brett Dowell 3.5" shadow trapper, green linen micarta scales, no liners, ATS-34 blade.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 11:25 am • # 27 

The knife I most regret selling (it was years ago and I still feel it) was an AG Russell small Jess Horn folder, made in Japan by one of the companies that was essentially a semi-custom hand-made shop. ATS-34 flat ground clip-point blade (hand rubbed finish), black micarta scales, no liners, lock-back, light as a feather--very similar in construction to your knife.
-CC

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 12:17 pm • # 28 

CC,

There were several versions of AG's Jess Horn. Most were Spyderco made in Seki City Japan. The Spyderco Jess Horn C27, with jigged brown bone scales, is as nice as any custom. Instead of the Spyderco hole, it had the same nail nick that Jess put on his customs.

AG's Jess Horn folding Boot Knife (the Japanese version) is a very desirable knife, the US made one is not as nice.

A similar current production lock back would be the Al Mar Ultralight, it's a great knife that's not too expensive.

Knives are worse than fly rods.....

Jerry

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 12:36 pm • # 29 
Administrator

Wow, I'm a sucker for trappers, that one is pretty cool.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 1:53 pm • # 30 

I have a few small knifes and guns. Barreta m 21 is not in my posession at this time, it is a lot of fun to shoot. I have been carrying the little Spyderco for 25 years. The Kershaw and SOG aren't really UL but small compared to my other folders.

Mike

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 6:54 am • # 31 
Administrator

As I mentioned in another thread, I recently picked up a little "UL" Sig Sauer P238, but I also have a UL rifle that I thought would be fun to include here. A little Browning "take-down" .22 semi-auto. As you can see, taken down it's about the same length as my Dan Craft rod tube. It's a great little rifle--very accurate--and easily fits in a backpack.

My father purchased this one new over 40 years ago as a gift for my mother. In our family it is known simply as "The .22".

ImageImage

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 7:40 am • # 32 

Always wanted one of those BA22's. I know they're around--plenty at the shows, but these days there's always something else to spend the money on. I had a BL22 years ago, and it was light, handy, and accurate--not Anschutz accurate, but good enough for squirrels and plinking. I also liked the short-throw lever, although traditionalists thought it was sacrilegious. At the time, I had a little Bearcat .22 to complete the "UL" Western motif. Too bad that little Sig doesn't come in a .22/.380 convertible version, like the P226 convertible--that would be perfect!
-CC

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 7:42 pm • # 33 
Administrator

I picked up a couple more UL folders this month--both were gifts from my wife--one for my b-day and one for Christmas. They're definitely not high-end knives but they're both pretty cool.

The one on top is a made in Japan Beretta Airlight II. The lower is a really slick assisted opening CRKT Koji Hara Ichi 1070. Image

I'm a big fan of Kershaw assisted openers but I think this CRKT is just as snappy.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 7:49 pm • # 34 
Administrator

I love the Beretta knives, I want one to compliment my Beretta pistols. I used to carry a CRKT daily for many years until I snapped the tip of the blade off. Note to self, knives are not pry bars.

J.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 8:10 pm • # 35 
Administrator

J, I was pleasantly surprised with the Beretta. My wife bought it because she thought it was pretty. It turns out that it has great balance and although it's not assisted opening the thumb-stud it perfectly placed and it's a breeze to work one-handed.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 8:29 pm • # 36 
Administrator

My uncle has one of those brownings- they are very reliable .22 rifles.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 8:38 pm • # 37 

Wow...Guns and knives from your wife....Not that is what I call a thoughtful woman...All I ever got from my x was socks and underwear.....lol.....Rob

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 8:53 pm • # 38 
Administrator

robgcp wrote:
Wow...Guns and knives from your wife....Not that is what I call a thoughtful woman...All I ever got from my x was socks and underwear.....lol.....Rob
Rob, after almost 28 years of marriage we've pretty much figured out what *not* to buy each other Image

Les, if we can figure out a place to shoot it you'll have to try out the Browning--it's the coolest .22 I've fired. I took it out with a bunch of boy scouts last year and they couldn't get enough of it. This one is from back when they were stilling being made in Belgium.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 5:05 am • # 39 

benchmade HK ally, cant beat the price and design, light weight with versitility, i just wish they made a plain edge one. If you can spare more dime on sebenza, it is also nice. In fact there are just tons of small folders whether custom made, semi-custom, or factory made, depends on the usage, shape, grind, type, material, so on and so forth...

I too bought a lot blades that really never used more than testing on opening letters....

btw isn't assist opening considered illegal somewhere in States?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 7:45 am • # 40 
Administrator

Randolph, I don't know of any States that have banned assisted openers, there may be some though. They aren't by law a switch blade since they aren't spring driven.

The CRKT I broke I could open with the flick of my thumb via the thumb stud, and no assisted opener or switch blade was any faster. Some of the knife laws in this country are feel good laws that are pretty lame. Nothing is faster than a fixed blade knife, funny how those are legal though right?

J.

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next   Page 2 of 4   [ 74 posts ] New Topic Add Reply