It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:14 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4   Page 4 of 4   [ 74 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:17 am • # 61 

Very impressive equipment...all of your knives and rifles are just beautiful...Rob

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 5:51 pm • # 62 
Administrator

I just took this pic to send to my son, who also collects pocket knives, so I thought I'd add it here as well.  A couple of these I've posted before.

The CRKT and Buck on the left I've posted.  The Spyderco Dragonfly--bottom left is new, as are the SOG Twitch I, and Twitch II's in the middle, the Benchmade Griptilion and Benchmade Benchmite on the right.  The Buck Alpha Hunter--my favorite knife--is bottom right.

The CRKT, both SOG's, and the Griptilion are all assisted openers.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 7:33 am • # 63 

lives on my utility EDC keychain along with tweezers, nail clippers and a tiny multi-tool

Spyderco by rrhyne56, on Flickr
photo.JPG by rrhyne56, on Flickr
photo.JPG by rrhyne56, on Flickr

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 4:26 am • # 64 

I've got a nice little collection of firearms, some are nicer than others. Since this thread was about "ultralight" guns, here's one that's ultralight so ultralight, its airweight...

A 1960's vintage S&W Model 38, the original Airweight Bodyguard. I think I paid $190+fees/taxes for this rather well used example a few years back. Someone carried it heavily, but it still locked up tight and with no endplay or side-to-side. It wears the distinctive colour scheme of a gun bought from the Michigan Police Supply Warehouse, a major mail order retailer back in the day.  I bought it to be the firearm I carried when needed, didn't care about what it looks like, and the pricetag was a steal.

Because it was a carry gun, the original wood stocks were nice for the vintage aspect, and terrible for everything else. I added a set of the Crimson Trace LG305 grips. This made it comfortable in the hand, and helped augment the rudimentry gutter sight if push came to shove.

Neat, eh?

And now, to the spirit of the OP, who asked for guns in little calibers.. Now, I love .22s because they're fun to shoot, and cheap to feed. I'm a big fan of cheap. And, I've got a healthy collection of .22s because I don't hunt or compete, so to me they offer the most bang for the buck.

Of all the .22 pistols I own, this is my favourite. I actually bought it for my wife, because I convinced her to go out with me sometimes to shoot. Its the only Ruger I own, and with the possible exception of an LCP, the only one I plan to buy (I have a long memory, Sturm-Ruger, and I remember Bill's input to the 94 AWB). She wanted a single-action .22 because it was easy on her hands, and "pretty," and I stumbled onto this guy at my local shop. Second I saw it, knew I wanted to have it. Its a "limited edition," Ruger Single Six Bisley Edition. Basically, they took the SS and gave it a bisley grip in lieu of the traditional plow's handle design, engraved the cylinder nicely and stamped out a stack before they stopped the line.

Its a bit heavy, but its a real joy to use. Its not quite a real Single Action Army, something I intend to buy before Colt stops the line, but I still love it.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 6:43 am • # 65 

Hmmm I own a few hundred knives as part of my civic responsibility to buy stuff lifted from air line passengers.
I own slightly fewer guns.

These pix are pretty nice you have posted.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 8:26 am • # 66 

I don't collect knives, pretty much just get ones I'll use and I like Buck knives. The Alpha Hunter, it's great for field dressing deer and the gut hook is slick as snot. The Alpha Dorado is on my hip everyday.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 1:02 am • # 67 

One of my favorites. Jerry Halfrich out of San Marcos cobbled this one up for me. It's called his Baby Rounder model, CPM154 blade, jigged black paper micarta scales, double bomb shield, and it's set up as a mirror image lefty. About 3" closed.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 1:18 pm • # 68 

Small guns and knives????

I bet this qualifies....

Switch gun.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 5:53 pm • # 69 

Crosscreek, what is the item pictured with the case knife? it looks plastic with a disk

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 6:21 pm • # 70 

The little carbine is a Ruger Compact in .30 Commie (7.62X39). It has a 16 1/2" barrel and weighs 5 3/4 lbs. I load this one with Hornady
123 grain spire-points ".310 dia" and H322. Light weight and a Blast (pun intended) to shoot. The pocket piece is a S&W model 442 in .38 SPL. I load it with "Gold-Dots" and W231. If I am going to walk very far, the little carbine is a joy to carry. I don't deer hunt anymore, but I do try to ambush a "coyote" once in a blue moon. ( The coyotes have become a problem killing peoples dogs and cats)..........Don in SC

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 2:01 pm • # 71 

Newtyer1 wrote:
Crosscreek, what is the item pictured with the case knife? it looks plastic with a disk

It's a Japanese (Tiemco, I think), Orvis-branded nipper:
http://www.orvis.com/store/product.aspx?pf_id=69G4
The round thing is the back of the magnifier that swings out to help old eyes avoid snipping the tippet instead of the tag end. There's also a retractable threader that's the best I've seen.

JB--That Halfrich folder is gorgeous and simple. Contact info for him please?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:52 pm • # 72 

I bought a Springfield XDS .45 ACP last week that I plan to carry on my fishing trips. I've signed up for a CCP class next week. Specs are:

4.4" height
6.3" length
1" width
21.5 oz

Surprisingly the recoil isn't bad and it is very accurate for me.

[img][IMG]https://images.ultralightflyfishing.com/u/1/pb/fishngolf/Springfield/springfield003.jpg[/img]
Image[/img]

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:47 pm • # 73 

Not really a pocket knife, but small enough to fit in a shirt pocket. I carry it on a neck lanyard.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:48 pm • # 74 

I've posted this pic before showing the wound on the trout. Its not particularly small but its pretty light. Classic Bucklite I've had for about 20 years. This is my goto knife for most things outside. Its cleaned fish, deer, birds, dug out splinters, opened cans of soup, the list goes on. Takes an edge really nice and the sheath is that bitchen old school camo.

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4   Page 4 of 4   [ 74 posts ] New Topic Add Reply