It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:12 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 7 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: Pick up guns
PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 5:16 am • # 1 

What's your favorite Pick Up gun? If your headed out to where ever, and feel the need to go armed , what do you take?

When I lived in Nebraska, I carried a UL Ruger .223 with a 3x9 Leupold with a 20" barrel. It was really a piece of junk that I bought for a song because some moron had glass bedded the barreled action to the stock - permanently. I guess the idiot never heard of grease or some other 'release' agent. The rifle shot wonderful, but I was never able to work on it if I had to, so I sold it to a friend who didn't care about it's 'welded shut' problem. I shot mostly 50gr Hornaday's over a mild charge of 2460 for around 2900fps (mild indeed) but I slew coyote's, feral cats, skunks and gobs of other pests. The report was mild and brass lasted forever.

Here in Idaho, for a while I carried a Marlin SS/Lami 17 HMR until ammo got expensive. I sold the gun. Now I need another pick up gun. I'm thinking the same gun only in 22 Mag. We have a feral dog problem here in Idaho yet there are more and more houses around. A .223 is just too much gun. The 17 HMR is a fine pest gun but is no match for big feral dogs. The 22 Mag would have more poop.

What is your favorite pick up gun?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 5:40 am • # 2 

I have a Ruger single six pistol that came with a Mag cylinder...I had a feral dog problem where I lived in WV...carried it with me everytime I went into the woods...I only had to use it once...a big mongrel decided to snarl at me and I dropped him like a bad habit...Packs plenty of punch...Rob

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 5:53 am • # 3 
Administrator

Here in Ohio you don't see this kind of thing (truck guns), at least in NE Ohio, may be different in the very rural SE areas.

J.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 1:19 am • # 4 

i've alway wanted a 22 Hornet. if you roll your own ammo, you ought to be able to shoot for low dollars. i am also looking at something in a 22 mag. been looking really hard at the cz american. nice looking rifle and the price won't break the bank.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 2:34 pm • # 5 

Growing up in West Texas the preferred PU gun was a pump 12 gauge. Been awhile since I have seen that done. Don

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 2:43 pm • # 6 

I kinda got sidetracked a little bit and said my 22 pistol...here in Alabama I do not carry anything in the truck...In WV the standard Pick up gun was a 30-30 marlin or winchester rifle...

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 3:55 pm • # 7 

Lever action rifles were upscale in West Texas, but you would see them. Don

Page 1 of 1   [ 7 posts ] New Topic Add Reply