It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:07 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 6 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: Varmint Hunting in Idaho
PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 6:12 pm • # 1 

If any of you are interested, Idaho is a great place to visit in the Spring. As always, there is plenty of fishing opportunities but there is other things to do. I don't hunt much anymore but I do engage in some varmint hunting. It is good practice and the landowners love it..if you are responsible. Late April or Early May, it starts and by July, it is too hot.

These are some photos from a couple years ago out in the Little Lost River Valley. Just ask.

Setting up.
My Marlin 17 HMR ( no longer own this one but I shoot a 17 MachII plus various .22's.
My Ruger Single Six, also in 17 HMR (again, I sold it in favor of .22 handguns..less noise and cheaper)
My Father in Law just misses a ground squirrel with his Single Six 17 HMR
The old, fat dude again (me) with a dead squirrel and my Single Six

My main artillery now is a Marlin Bolt gun in 17 MachII, a Remington 541-S .22, a Winchester 94-22 and my Browing Buckmark .22
You can sit in one area on shooting stools and shoot for hours without moving. Make for a cool Clave...do some varmint hunting then do some fly fishing. We ought to put something together.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 4:23 am • # 2 
Administrator

Nice post. I wish I could do more varmint hunting around here. Sure we have groundhogs, and yotes, but forget using a centerfire varmint rifle. I've been known to shoot chipmunks with my Gamo 220 air rifle though. I can do that out the sliding glass door. I don't have many munks though so it's only a couple of shots at those a year.

J.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 4:54 am • # 3 

I have a trick to share...some of you might know it...I used to go on ground hog roundups in WV..about 10 members of my hunting club used to have them...everyone would pitch in 10 bucks and at the end of the day the most groundhogs won the pot...was a lot of fun...especially since I won 6 out of the 10 times...lol...and I was using a bow or my single six 22...I got laughed at the first time and was told "you are throwing your money away, just might as well give us all a dollar"....I smiled, went hunting...here is the tip...groundhogs almost always have 2 holes...when the hog sees you and hits his hole...sneak up, position yourself so the slant in the holes is facing away from you...be still and wait...sometimes it takes a while...you can see both holes...The flies come out first...that is the key...look for flies exiting the hole...hog is right behind them....they start to come out slowly and you have a perfect head/neck shot that is usually under 15 ft...and you pin em right in the ground with your arrow or devastate their head with a hollow point...Hot, hunting, and you cannot move your feet around but, worth the effort when your buddies come in with one or two and you are dragging four...kinda upsets them that you got more using a bow or pistol...I never told them how...I even had guys try to sneak up and watch me...on those days I lost...lol...but, kept my secret...give it a try...It is hunting at it's finest....by the way, my Nanny taught me this...during the depression she had 3 kids to feed and could not waste shells...she used a single shot 22 rifle tho...I still have it...the old falling block type....

Last edited by robgcp on Mon Sep 28, 2009 4:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 5:26 am • # 4 
Administrator

I did that trick once when I was a lot younger. Chased the hog into the hole, snuck up on the second peep hole, waited. The head popped up and I decapitated it with a Marlin 30/30.

J.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 7:31 pm • # 5 

Me too, Varmits are just that be they mice, rates or any other garden raider, its up to us to protect our garden and yes, I can play the bad guy who kills the garden pest,so lets move on
Richard

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 5:46 pm • # 6 

In case I offended anyone, when I say move on, these are varmits, I shot em when need by and toss their bodies out for the Eagle, Falcons and such here, Im on the edge of the Wilderness so Golden and Baldheaded eagles are always over head, as are so many falcons and hawks as to be hard to classify, really, let alone the ground traffic.
My garden is always raided, deer and everything else. Thats life here, if my fruit trees survive for another year Im happy.
guns and varmits are always a touchy issue, what might be your friendly little pet could be my garden pest. I live and let live and kill my garden pests! that should tell you well where I stand. Water is expensive here, to waste it feeding varmits is not my choice.
Richard

Page 1 of 1   [ 6 posts ] New Topic Add Reply