It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:47 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Go to page 1, 2  Next   Page 1 of 2   [ 30 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: More airgun stuff
PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 7:29 pm • # 1 
Administrator

I know some of you like to shoot airguns so I thought I'd share details on a recent purchase. I have a little range setup in my garage and attic for air pistols. I usually just shoot paper targets but a few days ago I found one of these at the local Academy Sports for $25 and have been having a lot of fun with it. It's fairly small, at only 8" wide but it works very nicely. When you center a hit on the round targets they flip up and stay. You shoot the square center target to release them again. The targets are fairly small--they say 1" and 3/4" but the smaller ones are actually closer to 1/2". If you don't hit them in the center they don't stay up.

http://www.cabelas.com/p-0009918222032a.shtml

Good cheap fun and you don't have to keep taping up new targets. I've burned through about 300 pellets on it already. Both with an 8 shot Walther CP99 and a single shot Avanti target pistol. It's a good option for folks like me who live in towns where it's illegal to shoot. Of course if it was warmer out I'd be out fishing instead of shooting little metal discs with toy guns Image

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 7:36 pm • # 2 
Administrator

Now THAT is cool!
I wished I had one of those when I was a kid. To my mother's horror I had been shooting paper targets in my bedroom and shot a few pellets into my headboard after a rubber mat backdrop inadvertently slipped out of place. Image

Les

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 7:37 pm • # 3 
Administrator

I need to get one of those eventually. Lucky for me I can just shoot in the back yard. Better yet most of the time I just open the sliding glass door and shoot cans at the bottom of the hill.

Airguns are toys? I hunt small game with my Gamo 220. It's a squirrel killer. Image

J.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 10:00 pm • # 4 
Administrator

jkurtz7 wrote:
Airguns are toys? I hunt small game with my Gamo 220. It's a squirrel killer. Image
Just kidding! I bagged a couple rabbits with a Benjamin air rifle when I was a kid. It required head shots but those old classics are pretty accurate. I don't have anything now that I'd hunt small game with but I know what some of the higher velocity air rifles are capable of. Of course even my pistols will easily take out the field mice that sneak into the garage Image

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 12:56 am • # 5 

That is so neat!!! I do not doubt that is a hoot to play with....

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 7:52 am • # 6 

I have one of those that I use with my Gamo Whisper. It works great.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 8:04 am • # 7 
Administrator

Chuck, how do you like the Whisper? I noticed that Pyramid Air has the Whisper available with the Air Venturi gas ram piston. That would make a good hunting rifle since you can leave it cocked for periods of time, no worries about spring fatigue.

J.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 8:00 pm • # 8 

The Wisper is a fine gun. Geez it is accurate and powerful. I have had mine charged for a wekk or better, and it still have a lot of power. I use the gold pellets for taking care of critters around here. I have found there is a real differance between the regular pellet and the gold ones. I popped several starlings at 100 feet. Clean kills, no flopping around. I have one of those laser sights on it. It is good for about 3 or 4 shots, than it has to be sighted. I have a Gamo 9x40 scope on it and it works fine for me.

Don't know if any of you have seen Outdoor Guide on Verses. Here is a small segment of a program he did. The first part is a .177 and than a new .22 that Gamo is making.

http://www.versuscountry.com/hunting-and-fishing-videos/More-Than-Hot-Air.aspx

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 9:11 pm • # 9 
Administrator

Chuckinra wrote:
Don't know if any of you have seen Outdoor Guide on Verses. Here is a small segment of a program he did. The first part is a .177 and than a new .22 that Gamo is making.

http://www.versuscountry.com/hunting-and-fishing-videos/More-Than-Hot-Air.aspx
Holy Cow! Feral hogs with an airgun--that's impressive.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 9:12 pm • # 10 
Administrator

That's not something I would be willing to try. May end up getting hurt.

J.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 9:28 pm • # 11 
Administrator

jkurtz7 wrote:
That's not something I would be willing to try. May end up getting hurt.
We had a pack of 15 or 20 javelinas chase an entire scout troop I was with while on a campout just outside Austin. We made it to the trucks and it was pretty funny... *after* the fact. Those things, along with hogs, can be pretty darn nasty. I think it's cool that an airgun can drop one like that but if I'm with you J, if I was going to hunt them I'd want either a little more firepower (and a semi-auto at that) or someone backing me up with more firepower.

I was thinking about buying another Benjamin 392 similar to the one I had as a kid, but after doing some reading (and watching that video) I might have to try a spring gun.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 7:24 pm • # 12 

He had another show hunting feral hogs. It got nasty. They were in the woods, one thing led to another, and the guide wound up holding a mad wild hog by it head. It was about a 150 pound hog. He was to close to it for the other guys to shoot it. The guide was pretty messed up for awhile. They were hunting with revolvers.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 5:57 am • # 13 

i haven't pulled the trigger yet, but have been seriously thinking of gettting a nice air rifle to plink and small game hunt with. here's a pretty good site with thorough reviews of several guns that i have found very helpful. looking pretty hard at the beeman R9 gold combo: www.straightshooters.com.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 8:50 am • # 14 
Administrator

Hard to go wrong with a Beeman R9. Nice gun for sure.

J.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 12:38 pm • # 15 
Administrator

That Beeman looks like a nice setup! I'd love to try one.

J, do you know much about the Ruger Air Hawk or Crosman Storm XT? I've held the Ruger before but never fired one. It's a nice solid feeling rifle. Both have pretty high reviews at Pyramid and both are fairly inexpensive. Both deliver velocities over 1000 fps as well.

A Benjamin or Sheridan pump would be a little better suited for my attic range at their lower velocities but I'd like to try a spring gun at some point. Any idea about the noise difference between a Benjamin pump and Crosman spring gun? 25 years ago I used to be able to get away with shooting a .22 in the house (when no one was home of course) but I think I need something a little quieter now ;-)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 1:01 pm • # 16 
Administrator

Jerry,
Magnum spring guns are kind of loud both at the muzzle and in the compression tube. Pretty much all springers have a good bit of twang out of the box. Most could use a good spring tune. Since there are gas ram pistons out now, I'm not quite sure why they haven't phased out springs, the gas rams are a superior power plant.

If you want a lower power springer that you could still shoot in the house, and even take game up to squirrels, the HW30 (Beeman imports these as the R7) is really hard to beat.
http://www.pyramydair.com/p/beeman-HW30-air-rifle.shtml
http://www.pyramydair.com/s/m/Beeman_R7_Air_Rifle/572

The HW30/Beeman R7 have a really good following (cult like) and are said to be really accurate, and very quiet. The only real difference between the two is cosmetic. Weihrauch makes both guns. I'd like to have one if these myself one day. If I was in the market for a new springer, I'd get the HW30 hands down.

As for the Ruger, it's a Chinese made import that is a Gamo clone. The Crosman is a clone too, but I've been told they are actually made by Crosman. Any Gamo and clone is gonna have a crappy trigger, and the only fix is a drop in replacement that isn't that expensive. They all need a good spring tune as well, or a gas ram replacement.

Benjamin guns on the other hand are American classics. You can't really go wrong there.

J.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 3:24 pm • # 17 
Administrator

Thanks for the info J! I'm trying to keep it down around $100 so the Beemans are out of my range. If I go for a Benjamin I'll probably look for a refurb which can frequently be found for around $100. I don't mind Chinese-made as long as the quality is decent. I don't imagine there are many air rifles, regardless of place of manufacture, that are going to have a great triggers in my price range. :-)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 4:07 pm • # 18 
Administrator

Yeah, but the problem with Gamo and clones is that the triggers suck pretty darn bad. It's a real challenge to shoot tight groups, and you'll never realize the full potential of the gun until you get a trigger upgrade. The fact that a spring gun has dual recoil forces only compounds the accuracy issue. Getting a spring tune helps a bit with the recoil impulse, but a trigger job goes a long way.

The drop in triggers for the Gamo is something I'll need to get for mine if I plan to continue using it for the next 5-10 years. I'd rather have something a bit nicer though, like the HW30.

Here's the link for the GRT drop in trigger. http://charliedatuna.com/GRT-III%20Trigger%20New.htm This drops in the Crosman, and other clones. I just looked at the Ruger on Pyramid and, after looking closer, they don't appear to be exact clones of the Gamo, and it isn't listed on the GRT trigger page. If you get a Crosman, and ever have issues, then you know you'll get good service.

J.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 9:26 pm • # 19 
Administrator

J, I'll probably just go with what I know and grab a Benjamin 392/397. I noticed this evening that our local Academy Sports has 392's in stock for $129--quite a bit cheaper than Pyramid. I'd really prefer a .177 just to keep all my airguns the same, but to save $30 I can live with .22 :-)

I looked at the trigger kit you posted and it said that it doesn't work with any of the newer plastic triggers, and I have no idea which gun has which so I'll follow your advice and take a pass on them.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 7:28 am • # 20 
Administrator

Benjamins are good stuff. You may be able to do a minor trigger job on one yourself just by polishing some of the trigger parts a bit. Never shoot alloy pellets out of the Benjamin, lead only since it has a brass barrel.

J.

Go to page 1, 2  Next   Page 1 of 2   [ 30 posts ] New Topic Add Reply