It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:30 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 8 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: Spring turkey hunt.
PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 6:33 pm • # 1 

I shot mine on Opening morning (4-19) around 7am. Called in 4 toms and 2 hens. I dumped the bigger tom of the bunch. I was using a Winchester SX3 w/a Browning turkey choke w/Rem Nitro 3.5" #5 shot. My g/f was using a Rem 870 SuperMag w/a Burris speed bead along w/3" Federal #5 shot.

10.25" beard, 1.25" spurs.

Opening evening, my g/f got out of work around 4:30pm. We flew back down to her farm and suited up. We seen 3 toms, but they were FAR, FAR away and didn't come in. Once those birds went into the woods, we decided to run and gun and move to where they went into the woods and set up and try to call them in. It took a long time for these 3 toms to come in, but she made a beautiful shot @ 44yds when the turkey went onto a long. I wouldn't have let her shot that far, but I goofed up and told her to "dump 'em." The turkey went down. We got up and I thought the turkey was on the 2nd log @ 30yds, but It was on the 3rd log back @ 44yds. I believe these are the 3 birds that came in with my tom in the AM. Her bird was 8 3/4" beard and 1" spurs. I was very proud of her. This is her 2nd turkey. She shot her 1st turkey 2 years ago.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 6:40 pm • # 2 

Opening morning was a gorgeous, cold, frosty AM.

Few pictures over looking the farm.

This 1st picture, the trees that are way off in the distance is where I called those 4 toms from. A good 500-600yds away. Amazing how well those birds can hear.
I was setting in that small bush, left of my hen decoy.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 11:25 pm • # 3 

Good job! Great looking birds and good looking country. I got a nice bird the first day of Ga's season (March 20) and there was no frost - might be more comfy but having hunted Pa for 30 years I think frost should be part of the experience. I actually miss it!
ps I can't get my wife to come along, much less join. Congratulations!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 2:10 am • # 4 

Great Job!! I was never able to call turkeys at that distance...Quite a accomplishment!!...And a girlfriend that hunts!?..You sure caught a keeper there!!! Or did she catch you??!!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 2:37 am • # 5 
Administrator

Nice birds. I haven't tried turkey hunting yet, maybe one of these days I'll give it a try.

J.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 2:20 am • # 6 

How in the world could you focus on calling turkeys sitting next to her!! Quite an attractive young woman--likes to hunt, too! My wife was commenting this week that my future son-in-law is going to thank me...my daughter hunts, fishes, and plays golf. You're a lucky man!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 5:00 pm • # 7 

great pic's congrats !!
thanks for sharing ..we hunt them some with  crossbows  alot of fun ..

i will share a couple pic's with you ..

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 12:15 pm • # 8 

Thank you for the warm replies. Sorry for the delay on getting back to this post.

Jkurtz7, I'd suggest you give it a try one of these years. It's very addicting. 3yrs ago I tired it with my g/f and now I'm completely addicted. I watched a few Youtube vids on turkey calling and didn't have a problem the 1st time getting out with the g/f. She bagged a nice 9" 3yrs ago.

Tink, lol, that last picture is a classic.Image

Page 1 of 1   [ 8 posts ] New Topic Add Reply