It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:10 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 15 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: Colt Woodsman
PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 5:15 pm • # 1 

I stopped in a rod, bow, and gun shop yesterday, just to see if they had any interesting fly lines (they have weird buying habits).  They had a pristine Woodsman with gorgeous walnut grips (with the "elephant ears") and competition micro-adjust sights.  I was so entranced that I didn't check the manufacturing era.  Good thing they're asking $800, or I'd be trying to justify another .22!  Wonder whatever happened to my 1977 Woodsman that I got new back in grad school?  Wonder why I ever sold it?
CC

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 5:18 pm • # 2 
Administrator

That's a classic .22 pistol. I'd not part with $800 for one though.

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 5:21 pm • # 3 

They are a cool little shooter.  If your interested in a shooter that's just as good for half the money, look into one of Browning's Buckmarks.  I have a deluxe model with a 5" barrel (I think).  The trigger is crisp and it is one accurate shooter.

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 5:27 pm • # 4 
Administrator

I checked out a Buckmark once, it seems really nice, but didn't care to the feel of the grip. If I was in the market for a .22 handgun, I'd like to have a Ruger Single Six.
I almost jumped on one a year ago, but my wife would have had my head on a plater if I bought it. I still want one though, I'm a big fan of western movies so yeah, I need a single action six gun.

J.

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 5:32 pm • # 5 

I too prefer a SA grip to all others.  I've never been a fan of autos but I just like the buckmark.  One day I plan on a single six convertible.

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 1:59 am • # 6 

I have a single six with a herter's trigger spring and adjustable sight and pachmier (sp) grips to fill my large hand...It is a pleasure to shoot and very accurate once I found the right ammo for it...I love single action also J. My plans were to get another one in a Larger caliper one day, that day never came about :(

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 9:36 am • # 7 

Nice!

I think this is what I need next Image

Post subject: Re: Colt Woodsman
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:55 am • # 8 

I bought the new Colt .22 that was supposed to be the new Woodsman back a few years ago. it was a huge headache. It loved to put a nice bend in the shells on loading. Went back to factory and all. Still a bad single shot won't shoot out of clip safely.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:16 pm • # 9 

Those old Woodsman's are real nice but a little difficult for me to justify the cost. They are getting pricey! The little Ruger autos are sweet also and more affordable but the single six is the most fun you can have with your clothes on. Point shooting cans off the ground is a blast and they are very accurate, fun to hunt squirrels with.
Now you want some real fun you convince your wife to shoot the gun and after she gets comfortable you switch the cylinder out for the magnum. WARNING! Be ready for some cursing!

Mike

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:14 am • # 10 

Here is a picture of my .22 favorites

left to right is a Colt Huntsman / An old 3-screw Ruger single-six with mag cylinder / and a S&W model 34 .22/.32 kit gun
.......................Don in SC

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 10:17 pm • # 11 

My favorite .22 is a Colt New Frontier. I believe this one was made in the early 70's but I honestly forgot. A quality piece and very very accurate, especially running Lapua Midas L.

Jb

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 11:12 pm • # 12 

Jasonbu wrote:
My favorite .22 is a Colt New Frontier. I believe this one was made in the early 70's but I honestly forgot. A quality piece and very very accurate, especially running Lapua Midas L.

Jb

Oh wow! That would add some class to bunny safaris.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:18 pm • # 13 

Nice weapons my favorite which I no longer have is a colt woodsman .....just purchased .22 conversion kit for my .45 1911 ..what a fun machine shooting
.22 ammo out of a 45 frame and much less expensive I might add ....

Paul

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 1:23 am • # 14 

I've got one of those, a lot of fun. You don't even really hear the shot, just the mechanical sounds of the slide and what not. Mine is an original Colt Ace conversion that was sold with the 45, someone told me it's worth more than the 45 itself, don't know though.

Mike

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:37 pm • # 15 

Mike ...they are right those colt conversion kits go for bucks ... Mine is
Made by a company called Ciener, it's nice to be able to burn up inexpensive .22
Ammo in a .45 auto ......

Paul

Page 1 of 1   [ 15 posts ] New Topic Add Reply