It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:07 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Go to page 1, 2  Next   Page 1 of 2   [ 22 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: Colt M4 22 ops.
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:32 pm • # 1 

http://www.colt22rimfire.com/index.php?page=colt-m4-ops

Just before I got my pink slip from work, I bought my son a 22 for his bday. He wanted a tactical 22 and picked out one of the Colt M4 (made by Umarex - Wather) 22. We didn't get out to shoot it until this weekend as it has been too muddy to get into the hills. Anyway, the gun gave us nothing but problems...stove piping like crazy. I read the manual and adjusted the bot speed screw per instructed, but still no go. I was getting flat pissed....so I began hitting the various 22 forums and found some answers. Now the gun purrs like a kitten. If you ever get one of these, read up on it all you can. The bolt speed has to be adjusted per the ammo used....if you change the ammo, you have to adjust the bolt in or out....so keep notes.

Post subject: Re: Colt M4 22 ops.
PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 11:08 pm • # 2 

I got the Sig 522 last year. No problems. Put a three dot crossbow sight on it thinking to make a poor man's rangefinder.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 11:12 am • # 3 

These types of 22s sure are becoming popular.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 10:06 pm • # 4 

They will continue to get more popular as ammo prices keep going up. With .223 at around $350 per a thousand it costs an awful lot to shoot when compared to a .22.
Lee

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 10:10 pm • # 5 

asuflyfisher wrote:
They will continue to get more popular as ammo prices keep going up. With .223 at around $350 per a thousand it costs an awful lot to shoot when compared to a .22.
Lee

Even quality 22 ammo is getting out of hand....but still, you can go out and have a good afternoon of target shooting, come home with a filthy gun and not drain the bank account doing it.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 7:37 am • # 6 

Location: Lorain, Ohio but can be found in fishing waters of West by God West Virginia and southern Ohio.
What ammo was you using? I been thinking of getting one but keep dreaming of a 6.8SPC tho. :)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 8:54 am • # 7 

DCG wrote:
Even quality 22 ammo is getting out of hand....but still, you can go out and have a good afternoon of target shooting, come home with a filthy gun and not drain the bank account doing it.

You are right about that. I remember not too many years ago at all giving my parents(I wasn't old enough to buy them or drive) a $10 and getting change back after buying one of those Federal bulk packs which would keep me entertained for atleast a week or so.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:35 am • # 8 

I try to stay away from the so called bulk pack ammo. In my Buckmark Browning, I use only CCI Mini Mags. For all the rest of our .22 shooting including this Colt M4, we shoot the 400 round packs of American Eagle ammo by Federal. It is a tad dirtier than the CCI but seems more consistent than the bulk pack stuff.

CCI makes a special Tactical ammo but from what I can tell, it even costs more than CCI Mini Mag.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:10 pm • # 9 

Location: Lorain, Ohio but can be found in fishing waters of West by God West Virginia and southern Ohio.
My Buckmark likes Federal Lightning and Cci . Only ammo i dont have is aqilas.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 5:44 pm • # 10 

Best all around .22 ammo (for good function and clean burning) seems to be the CCI Mini-Mags. For target pistols and bolt action .22s the CCI Standard Velocity works very well. For any better accuracy you need to go to Eley or Lapua gold (but that ammo is very expensive). I almost bought one of the S&W AR 22's......but ended up buying a CMMG M4 carbine in 300 AAC Blackout. (very easy cartridge to reload, very accurate and more energy than the .223) Recoil is about like the 7.62X39.
As for Wally-World ammo.....Leave the cheap bulk .22 ammo for the Ruger 10/22's and such. (and you will need to clean them more often running bulk ammo)..................Don in SC

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:59 pm • # 11 

OK, Update. This gun hates American Eagle ammo....so sad as I have over 10,000rnds of it. Oh well, I have a half dozen other .22's to shoot it in. My Buckmark works best with CCI Mini Mag ammo. This Colt M4 is also best with the CCI. My son and I have had some really hair pulling and aging days with this gun adjusting the bolt speed all over the **** place, and reading everything online I can find. One thing I did find is a lot of horrible reviews on the Colt M4 22. I would trade the **** thing off if I thought I would not take such a beating on trade in value. I don't like trading things in....I don't trade in vehicles and I see no reason to trade in guns.

So, I must get the stupid gun up and running, hell or high water...or I must sell it for a loss. I run some CCI Mini Mags through it out of desperation even though it costs more. The gun seemed to take CCI ammo a bunch smoother.

I'll report back later.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:59 pm • # 12 

Was looking at s Sig rifle today but dont know if I will go that way tho.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 3:22 am • # 13 

Colt seems to have a track record that goes from good to bad and back to good in a cycle. For fun guns I have a standard issue 10/22 and a Ruger 22/45. They are fun as you know what and no hiccups. Hope you fix your Colt issue.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 5:16 pm • # 14 

Anybody here sort their ammo by rim thickness? From what I have heard and read, by sorting your .22 ammo by the thickness of the rim you can increase accuracy significantly by shooting the most consistent ammo together. Just wanted to see if there was anyone here that was doing it and thought that it was worth the time.
Lee

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 5:25 pm • # 15 

asuflyfisher wrote:
Anybody here sort their ammo by rim thickness? From what I have heard and read, by sorting your .22 ammo by the thickness of the rim you can increase accuracy significantly by shooting the most consistent ammo together. Just wanted to see if there was anyone here that was doing it and thought that it was worth the time.
Lee

Hmm...I guess the way I look at it, if I have to go through that much activity to go shooting a .22, then to hell with it.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 5:40 pm • # 16 

This is driving me nutz....this is why I fly fish....fly rods seem to be a more forgiving tool of which 'ammo' it will function with.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:43 pm • # 17 

No....not by rim thickness.....by Lot#. I like to buy one box of ammo (usually do this with match ammo) and shoot it for group and function. If it does really well, I will go back and buy a brick of the same Lot#. If several 5-shot groups are not up to my expectations, I will buy a box somewhere else (and different Lot#) and try again. When you find a particular Lot that shoots very tight groups, it is well worth the effort. (I did this for competitive shooting), not plinking ammo. This has worked very well for me in the past {{ I don't shoot matches anymore, but will still do this to find the best ammo for shooting groups off the benches }} I call this / Group-Therapy...............Don in SC

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:50 pm • # 18 

Well, I went down to the gun shop to buy some .22 ammo today....I looked at the latest prices...up to not quite double of ammo prices a year ago, then I walked back out the door. 11$ per hundred for CCI Mini Mags. A year ago, they run $6.50/100.

I guess the guns stay in the safe....even the .22's

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 11:32 am • # 19 

I shoot bolt action .22 rifles and Ruger 10/22s. The 10/22 is, in my opinion, hands-down the most versatile, well-functioning semi-auto .22lr out there. Factory stock 10/22s will spit out just about any ammo you can put in it without a hitch. I have modded over 20 in my lifetime (all geared at accuracy, not tactical), and they will still shoot a range of ammo, though it is narrowed. Lapua, Fiocchi match, Wolf Match, and Wolf Target all do very well for accuracy as well as for reliability. The Wolf ammo is much much cheaper at $50 per 500. Every single one of my 10/22s will also shoot Federal bulk and American Eagle bulk, but not 1/4" groups @ 50. I don't sort by rim thickness, but I do by batch #, and then for competitions, also sort by weight.

For handguns (.22lr), I shoot a Walther P22 5" model and a Sig Mosquito the most. They are fun, and love bulk ammo. The Mosquito can be quite accurate with mini-mags, but neither gun is match grade. For accuracy with a handgun, I pull out the Buckmark or Ruger Mark II, but they aren't as fun and I'm not into competitive handgunning. :)

There is no way in heck I would keep a rifle that has to be modified every time I switched ammo. What a pain in the neck to have a cool looking firearm.

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 12:26 pm • # 20 

I have a Ruger SR-22 which has the 10/22 action. no problems with it firing ANY ammo. The only thing I don't like about it is I need to add a riser to the already tall scope mounts so I can see through the scope without breaking my neck.
http://ruger.com/products/sr22Rifle/models.html

Go to page 1, 2  Next   Page 1 of 2   [ 22 posts ] New Topic Add Reply