It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:46 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 18 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 1:44 pm • # 1 

I've been doing some part time OTR trucking this summer. I have a friend who lives in Nebraska and now and then I had time to stop by for a visit. He has some pretty cool old shooting irons in his collection and it was fun to try them out. Included in the photos is an old German Drilling of make I forget....16ga double on top and a 8x57 Rimmed underneath. I selector switches from shotgun to rifle and when it is slide forward, a cool looking express sight pops out of the rib. Accuracy and POI was right on for around 150 yards with a great degree of accuracy possible holding a tad of front sight out to over 250 yards.

The next two guns are a pair of old Winchesters...both in 25-20....one a m1892 the other a m53. He says he can reload the 25-20 for less money than shooting 22 mag ammo, recoil is almost non existent, meaning you could put the butt plate on the end of your nose and pull the trigger and gun report is mild...but the bullet impact is much higher than you could get from a 22 mag. His loads are quite mild so brass lasts almost forever.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 2:09 pm • # 2 
Administrator

Those are some pretty cool guns, I really like the lever guns. That drilling is very interesting too since it's 16ga. I like me a good 16.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 8:27 pm • # 3 

Those drillings are beautiful, u don't see many 8x57 with 16 ga floating around
Anymore. U can hunt with em as long as they arent Damascus barrels. My brother owns one and still hunts deer with it, he uses those Brienke slugs, real effective short range slug ..it's Worth few bucks ...16 was kinda phased out with the introduction of the versitile 20 gauge
I still got a Remington 1100 in 16 real low serial number there were not many made in 16. Going to keep it so I can say I own one ....

Paul

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 11:17 pm • # 4 

I'm not sure the make on the Drilling. He told me but I forgot. The steel is not Damascus, I know that. He says he made a double on coyotes one day while hunting pheasants....He jumped two yotes, nailed the first at close range with a load of 6's, the second was too far by then to kill clean with the 6's, so he switched to the 8x57 rimmed and dusted the 'song dog' some 100 yards away on the run.

We discussed the combination that he was aware of and I found the one I would love...a double 12ga w/ 2 1/2" chambers (the British are fond of short...what they call square shotshell loads where the shot column is no longer than the dia. of the cartridge) and underneath is a 300 H&H Rimmed. A perfect Idaho hunting tool that would be wonderful to take to Africa some day. I have a bolt gun in 300 H&H (belted version) an love the round. You can lean into it and duplicate 300 Win Mag loadings or better yet, just back it off to the level it was meant to run at with the original '30 Super' (as it was first called) which is more like a 30-06...'Plus P'. I guess it would have to wait until I am richer.....ha! I would have to sell every fly rod I own plus every car I own plus mortgage the house to pay for such a shooting gem.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 12:27 am • # 5 

The drilling was most likely a European production, if I remember the combo
My brother has was made in Germany, Kriegoff or some name close to that, not
Sure, ..300 H&H will stop anything on the north American continent. Now 30-06 that is my favorite, just had a Springfield sportorized, glass bedded,fajen stock, leupold 3x9 scope ...just put some 180 and 220 grainers thru it great accurate rifle ....just sent the bolt out to have it jeweled .....

Paul

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 12:36 am • # 6 

I'm glad u asked....my real all time favorite is my Mannlicher Schoenhauer pre WW II in 6.5x54mm....sweet rifle ....anyother fine rifle made in Europe ...

Paul

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 1:05 am • # 7 

I really have little use for most modern rifles made. They just don't fit my interest...kinda like most modern fly rods I guess....too much velocity and too cold and impersonal for my tastes.

I do have a number of bolt rifles in modern calibers, 243, 270, 06, 22-250 to name a few. When I go hunting, most often it is my Winchester m88 Lever in 308 that goes with me, or my old m94 30-30. Of course, rounds like 270, 243 and 06 are the equivalent of fly fishing with glass fly rods....with most modern rifles chambered in various Ultra Mags, Short Mags and and the like.....

I've loaded the 300 H&H for 30 years. The round is dripping with class...but still pretty modern in the history of guns. One day, I would like to add a matching 375 H&H to go with it.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 1:30 am • # 8 

Now your talking some great calibers ... Used to have a collection of mint pre-war Winchester model 70 in .270, .243, 06, ..222Rem, .22-250, .218 bee .22 hornet a couple of other odd calibers which I can't recall at this time ...never got into lever actions tho, had a model 94 in 30-30 I guess it is the most popular selling gun ever made ...and a Marlin lever in .45-70' that used to get my attention ....375 H&H will get yours for sure ....

Paul

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 12:14 pm • # 9 

nice I like guns that get used and abused....

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 12:47 pm • # 10 
Administrator

I think most drillings were German in origin. Back in the day the Germans seemed to want one versatile gun for all their hunting needs.

I don't even own a modern centerfire rifle. I have one rifle, a Mosin Nagant 91/59 that was made in 1943. It started it's life as a model 91/30 rifle with 29" barrel. In 1959 some of these rifle were taken and the barrels cut down to carbine length, and the Model 91/59 was born. Being that it was made in 43, I often wonder what it's history really is. Did it see combat? Did it take German lives? Those questions will never be answered.

Paul, I have a nice pre-WWII Winchester Model 12 in 16ga. It was modified at some point though with a nicer stock, and a poly choke.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 1:42 pm • # 11 

I have often wished for a good 16ga.....probably like J's Winchester or perhaps an old Rem. 870's....plain barrel would be just fine. While I own a few 20ga's. I believe a 16ga will out do any 20ga out there with the same low report and recoil. I remember as a kid, I knew a neighbor who hunted pheasants on our farm with a Belgium Made Browning A5 in 16...named a sweet sixteen. Ahh....such class.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 2:01 pm • # 12 
Administrator

Dave, the problem with the Remington 16ga's is they are built on the 12ga frame, the Winchester M-12 16ga is built on a 20ga frame, so it's lighter, and sleek looking.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 2:04 pm • # 13 

Jeremy, hold on to that model 12 Winchester in 16 its rare and very sought after anything pre-WWII is very collectible ...one of all time favorites the model 12 ..

DCG ..I had a short barrel Rem 870 in 12ga that i used on turkeys ...the choke was amazing would hold that patten together for at least 50 yards plus .....

I agree with you the new guns look like crap with the synthetic stocks they have no character at all ..I handled a new rifle n Dick sporting goods ..action Felt like ten miles of dirt road ....
Paul

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 2:42 pm • # 14 

A Browning "Sweet 16" made in belgium, man I owned one many years
Ago and like a dope I traded it for a side by side in 16 ga, I couldnt hit the broad
Side of a barn with it ...what a mistake, wish I owned it now ...

Jeremy if your interested in military firearms ..I used to have an extensive collection
Of
modern military arms, M1 garands, Thompsons, Carbines, . grease guns ....45 pistols ....mostly M1 Garands ....had about 25 in excellent conditions when sold the collection ....one had matching serials numbers on everything including the stock ..I'll show ya some pics of them one day ....

Paul

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 4:11 pm • # 15 
Administrator

That would be cool Paul.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 5:03 pm • # 16 

The USA owes much of it's freedom to the the M1 Garand...one semi auto CF rifle I would not mind adding to the collection (not being that much of an aficionado of most semi auto rifles). The other WWll cf rifle I would love to add to the collection is a clean 03-A4 Springfield. My Father in Law gave my wife a sporterized Pattern 14 1917 Enfield. 30-06. An original would be nice. I understand, that is the rifle Sarg. York carried in WWl even though in the movie...Gary Cooper who played Sar. York is shown using a Springfield.

Jeremy, I wasn't aware that the 870 16 is punched from the same frame as the 12gaa...that would make it even heavier than the 12.....no thx. I wonder if Ithica made a m37 in 16.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 5:58 pm • # 17 
Administrator

Dave, yes Ithica made the 37 in 16ga on a 16 frame, sweet guns. When I bought my model 12 I looked at the 37 too. Both used to be quite common at the local gun shows, but now it seems to be more of a pistol and black rifle thing.

I'd like to have a Springfield '03 myself.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 6:54 pm • # 18 

Just had that 03 A3 Springfield sportorized ..you can find one in good condition
On occasion at a gun show ...but like the M1 Garand it will put a good dent in your mad money... People started to hoard the M1 Garand after the movie "Saving Private Ryan" ..everybody wanted one, even the price of the M1 Thompson went up .... It s fun weapon to fire and accurate up to 500 yards ..

You guys are killing me ..that Ithica is a sweet shotgun for as many as we're
Made you can't find the older models ...I just liked the feel of the skinny pistol
Grip ......good bird gun .pointed real nice ...... I may go to a used firearms shop tomorrow ..they can keep the new stuff ..

Paul

Page 1 of 1   [ 18 posts ] New Topic Add Reply