It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:37 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 5 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: 65th birthday
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 3:38 pm • # 1 

My dad, rest his soul, worked as a machinist at Stevens Arms Co in Chicopee Falls, MA before the war and returned to that job after serving in WW ll. Through him my brothers and I were introduced to the outdoors and the many enjoyments it brings.

Since the new game and gun tab was created I have thought about doing a post on my dad’s shotgun.

Working at Stevens Arms, a division of Savage Arms, my dad went about building his own gun out of parts that were in the shop. The gun is on the Browning A5 design and was made after the war. I have the original receipt; look at the date, for the gun and it is a hybrid.

Although it is called a Remington because of the barrel which was a Remington barrel leftover from war production with the flaming bomb on it, the action is Savage.

My dad had a ventilated Poly Choke added and his total spend was just $18.75.

From the wear on it you know it saw many miles of fields hunting for pheasant, grouse, woodcock and rabbits.

Handling it brings back memories of my dad walking in on our pointer Lady or our brace of setters Brusha and Jeff. He was very efficient with this gun. Every so often I take it out to the skeet field, run it through its paces, clean it and put it away again.

Post subject: Re: 65th birthday
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:38 pm • # 2 
Administrator

Very nice gun. You don't see many of those hump back Savage's around these days. I'm sure it's a priceless possession.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 6:32 pm • # 3 

:D That is one Beautiful gun :D
Dennis

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:41 pm • # 4 

Nice. Love the patina. I had a Remington M 11 when I was a kid. Same design....right from John Browning. Something about guns that are handed down. Those guns I will not sell.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 4:12 pm • # 5 

Wow! That is awesome. I love the old A5's still one of the best hunting guns ever made. You have a piece of Americana history. Better get it out and rub some oil on it. I've always wanted a sweet 16. Some day I'll find one in good shape a give it a home. Our pheasant season opened today. I'd love to bust some ditch chickens with that Savage!

Page 1 of 1   [ 5 posts ] New Topic Add Reply