It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:31 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 20 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: Concealed carry
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:36 pm • # 1 

I've noticed that people from this forum just like other forums that deal with hunters and fisherman are interested in concealed carry. I myself never thought about it until 97' when I was an auto store manager and was leaving out late often times just me an a cashier. I spoke to a police officer one day and he said if your 21, have a clean police record and mentally sound you can get a concealed carry permit. The question the states always get at is why do you need a concealed carry permit, if you work around money like a bank or retail store you have your reason. If you work as a security officer and you go through DCJS dept of criminal justice services you can get a concealed carry permit. If you don't have a real reason other than you like to carry a gun on you just apply for work at a security company as a guard on weekends or on your off day get your security license and take the Armed Security officer Certification class and then you can apply for concealed carry, you don't have to continue to work for a security company the certifications are yours you just have to qualify every so often and pay a fee. If you want to let the security certification's go it won't effect your concealed carry permit. The one thing about these certifications is the classes teach you valuable skills and you can always find work as a security officer. This also makes things 1000% better if you one day should have to pull you firearm in self defense. The concealed carry permit is like education and money it's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it. If your state does allow concealed carry permits apply if your qualified and follow all the states rules and regulations, it's not written in stone that this will be allowed forever.

Post subject: Re: Concealed carry
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:46 pm • # 2 
Administrator

MCFLY wrote:
I've noticed that people from this forum just like other forums that deal with hunters and fisherman are interested in concealed carry. I myself never thought about it until 97' when I was an auto store manager and was leaving out late often times just me an a cashier. I spoke to a police officer one day and he said if your 21, have a clean police record and mentally sound you can get a concealed carry permit. The question the states always get at is why do you need a concealed carry permit, if you work around money like a bank or retail store you have your reason. If you work as a security officer and you go through DCJS dept of criminal justice services you can get a concealed carry permit. If you don't have a real reason other than you like to carry a gun on you just apply for work at a security company as a guard on weekends or on your off day get your security license and take the Armed Security officer Certification class and then you can apply for concealed carry, you don't have to continue to work for a security company the certifications are yours you just have to qualify every so often and pay a fee. If you want to let the security certification's go it won't effect your concealed carry permit. The one thing about these certifications is the classes teach you valuable skills and you can always find work as a security officer. This also makes things 1000% better if you one day should have to pull you firearm in self defense. The concealed carry permit is like education and money it's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it. If your state does allow concealed carry permits apply if your qualified and follow all the states rules and regulations, it's not written in stone that this will be allowed forever.

I plan to get my permit soon. Ohio is a "Shall Issue" state so you don't need a reason why you want to carry, as long as you take the required CCW class, and pass the background check, the Sheriffs office has to give you the permit.
My personal feeling is that the US Constitution grants me the right to carry a firearm so I shouldn't have to get a permit to exercise my right, but I guess I'll play along with the idiot government.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:02 pm • # 3 

Personally, I like to hear all the stories where gun owners get their CCW permit. What it does do is separate the law abiding citizens from the nut cases and felons...hence I believe for handguns and high cap semi auto rifles it ought to be mandatory.....no laws don't keep guns from criminals but it does help increase the chances of keeping guns away from them. But this is just me. Reward good citizenship with additional carry privileges...ie: school teachers, pilots, work place (if appropriate). This is the very foundation of our nation...CITIZEN SOLDIERS.

My wife and I both have ours and while we don't carry always, we carry a good part of the time. My Charter Arms Bulldog .44 Special fits nicely in my fishing hip pack.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 2:07 am • # 4 

This thread just reminede me; I need to renew mine by Jan. Personally though, I don't think one should have to have one to carry. However, I am not going to b!tch too much as this is a pretty good state as far as guns go.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 2:31 pm • # 5 

Personnally, if I lived (or fished) somewhere so dangerous that I thought I needed to go around armed, I'd move to a nicer place. I say this as a retired naval officer who was considered to be a true weapons expert, and have experience with everything from .17 cal to shells that weigh as much as small automobiles. Wearing a gun (like carrying a bunch of keys, or a radio, or anything else that heavy) is really a pain that quickly becomes less interesting than you thought it would be (and I've done a lot of it). Shooting on the range is fun and builds basic skills, but is not sufficient to build the kind of skill and mental/physiological control needed when the target is shooting back. Even police and military in firefights rarely hit their intended targets (but do a lot of collateral damage). Most people injured or killed by a firearm are shot by one in their own possession or family's/neighbor's
possession, either by accident, argument, or suicide. By all means, get trained and get a concealed carry permit if you want, but don't think that makes you safer. Btw, while I am a gun owner, my first choices in home protection are a very alert dog with sharp teeth and a straight grained hickory pick ax handle that won't make unwanted holes in my walls (or family, or the neighbors).

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 3:25 pm • # 6 

Cross Creek wrote:
Personnally, if I lived (or fished) somewhere so dangerous that I thought I needed to go around armed, I'd move to a nicer place. I say this as a retired naval officer who was considered to be a true weapons expert, and have experience with everything from .17 cal to shells that weigh as much as small automobiles. Wearing a gun (like carrying a bunch of keys, or a radio, or anything else that heavy) is really a pain that quickly becomes less interesting than you thought it would be (and I've done a lot of it). Shooting on the range is fun and builds basic skills, but is not sufficient to build the kind of skill and mental/physiological control needed when the target is shooting back. Even police and military in firefights rarely hit their intended targets (but do a lot of collateral damage). Most people injured or killed by a firearm are shot by one in their own possession or family's/neighbor's
possession, either by accident, argument, or suicide. By all means, get trained and get a concealed carry permit if you want, but don't think that makes you safer. Btw, while I am a gun owner, my first choices in home protection are a very alert dog with sharp teeth and a straight grained hickory pick ax handle that won't make unwanted holes in my walls (or family, or the neighbors).

Good points. My approach to carry is protection against feral dogs or god forbid a moose or bear....which if I am in bear country, I carry bear spray which has been proven to be more effective to guard against bears than a handgun which tends to turn most aggressive bear encounters into a crisis...as most aggressive bear encounters or still a bluff. I did hear of one bear attack where a bow hunter fended off a grizzly successfully three times...then he ran out of spray and the bear mauled him.....this is why when I fish in grizzly woods I carry both spray and a handgun.

Now for most civilian activities, a gun might end up turning a robbery into a court case...is your wallet worth that much to you? Now that said, I feel that if I were to be in say a theater or walmart and some desperate nut case started shooting people around me, I would miss having a gun on me, if I were unarmed...again, you might save a life. Personally, I intend on carrying more and more....I think we are headed for bad times and people are going to start cracking up.

Now there is a growing drug problem in Idaho (and elsewhere) and I am convinced if you happen into a drug situation, the possibilities of 'talking' yourself out of a bad situation are pretty low....hence the need for a gun as in such a scenario, any gun is better than no gun. A gun can save your life and I doubt once you shoot, they are inclined to get close enough to take it away from you....but your going to find yourself in a shoot out regardless...you saw too much and there is too much at stake.

As for being prepared for a shooting situation, practice and mindset is going to going to determine big time the outcome. I am not sure how good I am going to be, but one thing I have going for me is over 30 years of hunting experience...now shooting at someone who is shooting back is hardly similar, but the instinct is there.....so I have some confidence in myself.

Again, with my family there and other families there, I am not going to face life if I could have been armed and could have done something, but it wasn't so. I do think if you ever found yourself in such a situation...it would alter your life forever.....I would hope I would be wise in making that choice.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:22 pm • # 7 

I had a long reply all written, then I decided that I didn't want to get into an internet "debate"...

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:03 pm • # 8 

NJ has very strict gun laws. I guess having so many people in such a small area makes it hard to behave oneself. Big cities, urban decay, etc. I'm a country boy turned suburbanite myself. Though I grew up with many guns in the house, I never felt I needed one since being on my own and I don't own any.

I feel safer without them really, but when I think about it, in certain scenarios I can see where it would make sense to have one. Then I wonder if I'm just being paranoid. If I did have one it would be a shotgun for home defense, if anything.

I don't think I'd be much use with a concealed carry, I am not a confrontational person, but when those instances do come up I shake a lot, and I can get really REALLY angry. I've joked with co-workers that I'm glad I don't have one because if I did I'd want to use it on someone. There are shades of truth to that. :evil

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:10 pm • # 9 

DCG wrote:
My approach to carry is protection against feral dogs or god forbid a moose or bear....which if I am in bear country, I carry bear spray which has been proven to be more effective to guard against bears than a handgun which tends to turn most aggressive bear encounters into a crisis...as most aggressive bear encounters or still a bluff. I did hear of one bear attack where a bow hunter fended off a grizzly successfully three times...then he ran out of spray and the bear mauled him.....this is why when I fish in grizzly woods I carry both spray and a handgun.

Having never lived in bear country, man they do get my attention when I am in their neck of the woods! And they are only black bears! My head is on a swivel, listening to every rustling of the leaves. I can't imagine my level of paranoia with grizzlies around...holy crap! lol If I lived where you do, and went into those types of remote wilderness areas with said beasts, carrying would be a no-brainer in the bush.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:28 pm • # 10 

Dark Waters wrote:
DCG wrote:
My approach to carry is protection against feral dogs or god forbid a moose or bear....which if I am in bear country, I carry bear spray which has been proven to be more effective to guard against bears than a handgun which tends to turn most aggressive bear encounters into a crisis...as most aggressive bear encounters or still a bluff. I did hear of one bear attack where a bow hunter fended off a grizzly successfully three times...then he ran out of spray and the bear mauled him.....this is why when I fish in grizzly woods I carry both spray and a handgun.

Having never lived in bear country, man they do get my attention when I am in their neck of the woods! And they are only black bears! My head is on a swivel, listening to every rustling of the leaves. I can't imagine my level of paranoia with grizzlies around...holy crap! lol If I lived where you do, and went into those types of remote wilderness areas with said beasts, carrying would be a no-brainer in the bush.

I have a friend who used to do a bit of guiding in BC. He has been in on a number of Grizzly hunts and even stopped a charge or two....no to mention talked to life long guides up there. He is a big gun enthusiast including handguns. He raises Buffalo and has killed a bunch of them with various sixguns. After I moved to Idaho and had an encounter or two with Grizzlies (I am certain as much time as I have spent in their habitat, I have had grizzly encounters I am not aware of)...anyway, I asked him what I am up against if an encounter goes bad.....he said my chances even with a handgun are **** slim, if the the bear is that riled up and it is highly probable that a charging grizzly that was either bluffing or just wanted to rough me up a bit, and you get a shot into it, might very likely make the whole situation now life and death. He also said, that he would would still prefer to be armed as not. The best advice he gave me is to be careful and if you encounter a grizzly, do not turn your back on it....but don't make direct eye contact either...unless he charges, then you have to stand your ground, fluff yourself up to be bigger than you are and be bold as hell......Hmmm......Ok!

I asked him then what it is going to take to put down a mad grizzly....he said you can kill a grizzly with any ordinary deer rifle and a well placed shot....in a hunting scenario.....but there is a big difference between killing a grizzly in a hunting scenario and stopping a charging grizzly. He said nothing other than a hit to the nervous system will do it regardless of caliber used. He said it is going to be quite 'sporty' (his words) and the best shooting practice you could do to prepare is to try to hit fast pitch soft balls coming at you from a professional soft ball pitcher (good luck finding such a ball player to help you)....your going to have to hit just that sized of a target coming at you that fast.

Hmmm.....perhaps the best is to be wise in grizzly habitat....and still I carry both bear spray and a handgun. Also, my favorite brookie stream in Eastern Idaho is also in one of the densest grizzly habitats in the lower 48...and I no longer fish it......too much stress and a coworker was attacked while is slept in the cab of his pickup in the middle of the night....right where I usually park my car and start fishing.

I will close by saying I have encountered a half dozen grizzlies here in Idaho and a number of black bears.....only one grizzly was unafraid of me, the rest wanted to have as much to do with me as I did with them. The one grizzly what was unafraid jumped out the bushes 30 yards in front of me and my dad as we were hiking...it let out a 'woof' and bounded a few yards before slamming on the brakes and started walking back past us poping it's jaws. It was an unforgettable experience and I will never forget.....but still it wandered off. IN truth, I am more afraid of moose...well not afraid but I pay more attention to that danger, especially a cow and a calf moose than I do bears.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:09 pm • # 11 

The purpose of carrying isn't to get into a confrontation...

In all the years I have carried, I have only had to draw my weapon once. Fortunately the gangbangers decided their three bats weren't enough to continue their course of action. Had I not had my .45 on my, I am not sure how I would have done against four bangers carrying three baseball bats.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:17 pm • # 12 

Sasha wrote:
The purpose of carrying isn't to get into a confrontation...

In all the years I have carried, I have only had to draw my weapon once. Fortunately the gangbangers decided their three bats weren't enough to continue their course of action. Had I not had my .45 on my, I am not sure how I would have done against four bangers carrying three baseball bats.

Glad you had it on you that day.

I've read stories about guys getting mugged in the dark here in the north east fishing for stripers at night. One guy had a couple guys pull knives to rob him, and he pulled out two pistols and they took off. That was on Long Island I think, near NYC. I try to avoid bad areas but you never really know.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:48 pm • # 13 

DCG wrote:

I have a friend who used to do a bit of guiding in BC. He has been in on a number of Grizzly hunts and even stopped a charge or two....no to mention talked to life long guides up there. He is a big gun enthusiast including handguns. He raises Buffalo and has killed a bunch of them with various sixguns. After I moved to Idaho and had an encounter or two with Grizzlies (I am certain as much time as I have spent in their habitat, I have had grizzly encounters I am not aware of)...anyway, I asked him what I am up against if an encounter goes bad.....he said my chances even with a handgun are **** slim, if the the bear is that riled up and it is highly probable that a charging grizzly that was either bluffing or just wanted to rough me up a bit, and you get a shot into it, might very likely make the whole situation now life and death. He also said, that he would would still prefer to be armed as not. The best advice he gave me is to be careful and if you encounter a grizzly, do not turn your back on it....but don't make direct eye contact either...unless he charges, then you have to stand your ground, fluff yourself up to be bigger than you are and be bold as hell......Hmmm......Ok!

I asked him then what it is going to take to put down a mad grizzly....he said you can kill a grizzly with any ordinary deer rifle and a well placed shot....in a hunting scenario.....but there is a big difference between killing a grizzly in a hunting scenario and stopping a charging grizzly. He said nothing other than a hit to the nervous system will do it regardless of caliber used. He said it is going to be quite 'sporty' (his words) and the best shooting practice you could do to prepare is to try to hit fast pitch soft balls coming at you from a professional soft ball pitcher (good luck finding such a ball player to help you)....your going to have to hit just that sized of a target coming at you that fast.

Hmmm.....perhaps the best is to be wise in grizzly habitat....and still I carry both bear spray and a handgun. Also, my favorite brookie stream in Eastern Idaho is also in one of the densest grizzly habitats in the lower 48...and I no longer fish it......too much stress and a coworker was attacked while is slept in the cab of his pickup in the middle of the night....right where I usually park my car and start fishing.

I will close by saying I have encountered a half dozen grizzlies here in Idaho and a number of black bears.....only one grizzly was unafraid of me, the rest wanted to have as much to do with me as I did with them. The one grizzly what was unafraid jumped out the bushes 30 yards in front of me and my dad as we were hiking...it let out a 'woof' and bounded a few yards before slamming on the brakes and started walking back past us poping it's jaws. It was an unforgettable experience and I will never forget.....but still it wandered off. IN truth, I am more afraid of moose...well not afraid but I pay more attention to that danger, especially a cow and a calf moose than I do bears.

I am fascinated by bears. I love seeing them, but I've only seen them twice and both times happened to be in a car. (I have seen alot of tracks though) One was huge for a black bear, I had a jeep wrangler at the time (slightly lifted) and the black bear was standing on all fours in the road . The bears shoulders easily came up near the hood/grill height on my jeep. We watched it trot off into the woods. This was about 1/4 mile from a spot I fish on the Big Flat Brook in northern NJ. We didn't fish that spot that evening lol.

I can't imagine chances are that good in the brush when you have a firearm in a holster and might not even know a bear is around.

Though I personally choose not to hunt, I am not against it when done responsibly. I support bear hunts in NJ (big argument there) as I feel it is important for them to fear us, as well as keep their numbers in check. Up in north jersey the animal rights activists are even known to vandalize the vehicles of hunters and fishermen.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:16 am • # 14 

I carry a little 36 when I am staying overnight at a motel or somewhere other than my home. As it was explained to me by a policeman, I dont need a permit since where I am staying overnight is technically "my home". Not sure that this is the case in states other than Texas. I started doing this after a friend got shot in the face by some thug who broke into his motel room(he was asleep at the time and surprised the intruder who shot him) I also carry it in my pocket when fishing in a remote area; not sure if that is legal or not-p-

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:24 am • # 15 

Gene, if you would stay at a Holiday Inn Express instead of those $20/night places you wouldn't need a gun. :rollin :rollin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:29 am • # 16 

when I'm alone I do stay in dumps, but I make sure the sheets are clean before paying any money. One place I stayed in Jackson there was a 2x4 that fitted into slots on either side of the door for a "night-latch". I don't think I slept very much that night!!!!-p- :)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 6:14 pm • # 17 
Administrator

Cliff Hilbert wrote:
Gene, if you would stay at a Holiday Inn Express instead of those $20/night places you wouldn't need a gun. :rollin :rollin

My family and I stayed in a high end Holiday Inn in Orlando this past summer (we spent a week at Universal Studios), and while we were there they found two dead people in an elevator one night. Just because you stay in a high end joint doesn't mean it will guarantee your safety.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:05 pm • # 18 

Hey I had that ball bat confrontation too. 10 degrees that night. They weren't looking to play 3 on 3 stick ball. Tapped window with bats.

My 3 taps on drivers side window with barrel and game was over.

36 years ago I can still see them in rear view mirror.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 8:01 pm • # 19 

Don't have any bears near me.....But I carry a Taurus 3" barrel 410/45 Colt for hogs/dogs and snakes. (Made me feel better when I came upon two hobo looking gents I found camped on the river too.).................Don in SC

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:15 pm • # 20 

I've always had a 12ga under our bed at home for any intruders. Last week I bought my first pistol I intend to carry on my local fishing trips and in my car. I bought it primarily for protection from two legged crazies but we also have wild boar, black bears and wild dogs in the areas I fish and I almost always fish alone.

I have signed up for the CCP class next week and will apply for the permit after the class. I also plan to spend a lot of time practicing with it and getting additional training. I bought a Springfield Armory XDS, a very small .45 that is amazing. At 62 I have never felt the need to be armed to be safe from either 4 or 2 leg predators until the last year or so after an encounter with a wild hog and another time with a meth head at my local tailwater. We also have an increasingly bad gang problem in the Chattanooga area and those guys seem to have little to no regard for human life. I truly hope I never find myself in a situation where I need it but I know I will feel more comfortable knowing it is there.

John

Page 1 of 1   [ 20 posts ] New Topic Add Reply