It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:11 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 10 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: New ammo wish list
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:43 pm • # 1 

It seems most gun enthusiast and hunters have a different out look on what guns and ammo interest them, than I do (and those like me)....which the more I see the craze of high cap magazines and rapid rates of fire or high velocity bonded boattail bullets from the latest Ultra Magnum......the more I just want to go shoot or hunt with one of my lever actions or even my 50 cal percussion smoke pole. I am a big fan of heavy bullets lumbering along at slow speeds, then you just get close which is what hunting is all about anyway. When I walk into a gun shop, I see what seems to be the ammo makers gone nutz....Zombie Ammo? OK, OK, this is only my opinion and I am not here to debate....I just want to start a thread where shooters and hunters list ammo they wish they could buy but can't seem to find, or perhaps it is hard to find.

I reload most of my ammo except of course rimfire stuff. First and foremost, I love shooting .22's as do many shooters out there. You can spend an afternoon shooting a .22 without feeling like you just went bankrupt. You blast away and come home satisfied and a couple of dirty .22s to clean.

As a heavy/slow bullet enthusiast, I would like some ammo manufacture come up with a .22 round which shoots a heavy 45-50gr flat nose bullet at subsonic velocities. Aguila makes a round but it is not a flat nose which kills better than RN. When stalking things like rabbits and grouse (yes, in Idaho, we can shoot forest grouse with anything, not just shot guns) a crack of a high vel .22 just echos through the woods too much. I have tried shorts and other sub sonics but found their killing power to be less than efficient...you can loose a grouse in the bushes if it runs off and hi vel. HP's though they kill cleaner, just crack too much and tear up too much meat. A heavy flat nose bullet moving at really slow speeds would make for a nice woods round.

OK, what ammo do you wish was made, but is not?

Post subject: Re: New ammo wish list
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:20 pm • # 2 
Administrator

I like the idea of oddball calibers, but finances dictate that I can't get into such stuff. I hope to get .38 snubnose soon, and I may venture into reloading for it.
As for .22 LR ammo, I tend to buy whatever bricks are on sale, but none of the Remington stuff, it's all crap. The only flat nose .22LR round I am aware of is the CCI Small Game Bullet load they have which is 40 grain lead, but I can't recall what velocity it is loaded at. Oh, there is the Remington Viper, but it's under 40 grains and a hyper velocity round.

For handgun loads, I guess I can get whatever it is I'm looking for (9mm). I generally use the cheapest brass case stuff for practice, and buy just enough defensive loads to get me by for a couple years. With .38 spl costing as much as .45 acp these days, it will pay to load light target loads with cast lead bullets.

I would say that I would like to have certain 12 gauge loads more available than they generally are. Locally I can find plenty of the cheap target type loads with #8 and#7.5 shot, and also turkey loads, but finding a load with #5 shot that isn't a heavy and expensive turkey load is pretty much impossible. A load of 1 1/8oz of #5 moving around 1200 fps is the ideal squirrel load to me. Squirrels are about the only thing I hunt these days.

I do have an old Mec 12 gauge press, but it's missing some parts and Mec doesn't make anything for it anymore. Buy a new setup isn't worth it to me because the only time I really shoot my 12 gauge is when I'm hunting. One box of shells will get me through the whole season. If I ever get into Dove hunting again then the cheap targets loads work fine for that, and there isn't much point in reloading those types of loads unless your a high volume trap, skeet, or clays shooter.

My handgun interests are moving more towards revolvers these days. I would like to get a Ruger Blackhawk convertible in .357/9mm at some point.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:28 am • # 3 

I agree about the Remington .22 ammo, it is crap.

I wore out two Mec 600 Jr presses, one 12 ga, one 20. I just don't shoot that much anymore and there is good hunting ammo out there. When I was reloading, I was really into high vel. 1 oz loads over a charge of Green Dot stuffed in Blue Peters hulls. Lead shot for waterfowl was OK back in those days. I used 1 oz of 7 1/2s for light duty and 1 oz of 5's for ducks, even geese over decoys. It out patterned all 20 ga field loads. I love the 20 ga but I wish I had a good 16 ga. for fowling.

My Father in Law has an Old Model Blackhawk convertible 45 colt/45 acp. It is a great shooter. A friend of mine has the 357/ 9mm convertible 6" Blackhawk. It shoots decent with 9mm at close range but the 357 cylinder in it, turns it into a great shooter. I am a big fan of the 357 with cast bullets and 2400 powder. Less crack and boom than with H110.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:53 pm • # 4 

CCI quiet 22 lr? Should be exactly what you are looking for David. Don

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:20 pm • # 5 
Administrator

At this point, with the way things are, I would be happy to find any ammo at all.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:54 pm • # 6 

.310 Martini Cadet. Rather than pay an arm anda' leg for NOS I have to make from 32-20 Brass.
R

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:02 pm • # 7 

I have been waiting for a good buck and ball 410 tactical load. They now have the 3 disc and bb shot, but one or two 000 ball with some #4 buck would be better. You want a deep penetrator with a spread of smaller, but effective balls.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:57 am • # 8 

jkurtz7 wrote:
At this point, with the way things are, I would be happy to find any ammo at all.

This is the sad thing....wait a half a year, things will go back to normal. History has taught us this. My worry is when ammo does return to the shelf, how much will it cost?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:17 pm • # 9 
Administrator

DCG wrote:
jkurtz7 wrote:

This is the sad thing....wait a half a year, things will go back to normal. History has taught us this. My worry is when ammo does return to the shelf, how much will it cost?

I was looking at the Sportsmans Guide site and they have estimated in stock dates listed on ammo. 9mm, depending on the brand, has estimated in stock dates from Feb. all the way out to Sept. and Oct. Prices have gone up a bit, but not to the extent it did in 2008, at least not yet. New ammo deliveries from wholesalers may have bloated prices, we just have to wait and see.

I have a nice collection of 9mm brass so I will probably start reloading it this year. The only problem right now is you can't get small pistol primers, 9mm bullets are hard to find, and powder seems to be disappearing too.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:17 pm • # 10 

jkurtz7 wrote:

This!!!

Page 1 of 1   [ 10 posts ] New Topic Add Reply