It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:51 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next   Page 1 of 5   [ 83 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: I am wondering.....
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:31 pm • # 1 

What all fine family heirloom firearms got traded off through this AR-15 'go bananas - they are going to ban them' scare. I doubt there is a single one left on any gun rack in Idaho perhaps the USA. As far as I am concerned people can go ahead and gobble them all up. I support their ownership to proper law abiding citizens, but as far as I am concerned, they can have them. I will see if my wife will let me pick up a few treasures that got traded in......Dave's House of Unwanted, Unloved and Forgotten Firearms....(DHUUFF) :D

(Please no politics!....I don't want to start anything....just posting that I am thinking there has to be some cool guns on the used rack now. I am wishing I had the money to do some shopping).

Post subject: Re: I am wondering.....
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:17 am • # 2 

Right you are.............I just picked-up an Ithaca model 37 12 gauge Trap gun that you would not believe..........It has the most beautiful figure in the wood I have ever seen in a shotgun. A deep royal glossy blue and very smooth "tuned" action......a wonderful trigger and is a solid 99%
overall........looks new.....came with three screw-in chokes and barrel wrench. I bought it for a song.....less than $400. 30" double bead vent-rib.
I am not a trap shooter............but I'll bet it will reach up high and swat doves for sure...........
I would like to know what this gun sold for new.........A consignment gun at a local gunshop near me. He most likely put it up for sale to redeem part of the cost of a new AR-15..................That shop had a LOT of guns either traded in or put on consignment over the last month. Now is a great time to swing by you local shops and have a look. I didn't go in there planning to buy anything, but I just had to put this one on the card........."a real score"...............Take a look............Don in SC

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:57 am • # 3 

Oh, I love the walnut on that one. I would love to set up my rock thrower and spend the afternoon dusting clays with that one.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:09 am • # 4 

Wow what a nice piece. You can't go wrong getting it. I shoot skeet but still appreciate a nice piece of wood. I should see what has come in for trade in skeet guns.

I currently have a 12 and 20 gauge Browning XS Skeet with 30” barrels. My wife and daughter shoot the 20 and I shoot the 12. I have a set of 410 Briley tubes for the 12 gauge and for all other non 410 shooting I found a nice ¾ oz (read 28 gauge) load for a 12 gauge shell. It really crushes the targets and with the cost of lead, keeps my reloading cost down.

My daughter and me at the range .

A look at the ¾ oz loads in a 12 gauge hull.

Last edited by Joe C on Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:58 pm • # 5 
Administrator

I like bolt action rifles, mostly military surplus ones. I also like lever guns. I never have liked the AR platform, but that's only because I don't like the gas impingment design.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:53 pm • # 6 

jkurtz7 wrote:
I like bolt action rifles, mostly military surplus ones. I also like lever guns. I never have liked the AR platform, but that's only because I don't like the gas impingment design.

I am not really into military rifles of any kind. I do have a fair collection of Remington's m700 Classic rifles that they produced a while back. They had a standard line up of calibers in that series along with each year, they produced a limited edition on some obsolete or less popular cartridge. I have the 22-250, 243, 270, 30-06 and 300 H&H. I owned the .338 Win Mag but sold it to pay for some college tuition. I would like to find the 375 H&H to go with the 300 H&H and I would like to find few more like the 7X57 or .222.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:57 pm • # 7 

What a beauty that is,you just don't see them around in that condition anymore ..
Better take care of AR15 business while you still can ....

Paul

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:15 pm • # 8 
Administrator

DCG wrote:
jkurtz7 wrote:

I am not really into military rifles of any kind. I do have a fair collection of Remington's m700 Classic rifles that they produced a while back. They had a standard line up of calibers in that series along with each year, they produced a limited edition on some obsolete or less popular cartridge. I have the 22-250, 243, 270, 30-06 and 300 H&H. I owned the .338 Win Mag but sold it to pay for some college tuition. I would like to find the 375 H&H to go with the 300 H&H and I would like to find few more like the 7X57 or .222.

Remington used to make the Model 7 chambered for .35 Remington, I think it had iron sights on it. I remember as a kid drooling over that gun in the Remington catalog I had.

My one issue with most bolt guns these days is that they don't have sights on them, I hate scopes, and only shoot with sights.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:09 pm • # 9 

I once owned a rifle I regret deeply for selling....an old JC Higgins bolt action 30-06. It was made with an FN action. The front sight was a tad course fro my liking so I put a good fine bead on the front and a Lyman Aperture sight on the back. For the most part, I unscrewed the target aperture and just sighted through the open ring....like a large ring ghost sight. The whole package weighed about 7lbs tops with sling and 4 rounds. I hunted with it some but never shot anything other that a few varmints with it. I did shoot a bunch of long range rocks with it. My main load was mild....180gr Core Lokt PSP's I bought in bulk over a medium charge of H4895 for around 2450fps....or 300 Savage velocities. Brass lasted forever, recoil was mild and I could still clobber rocks 300 yards away like no tomorrow.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:13 pm • # 10 

Along these lines I had been thinking about a shtf rifle for several months now. I was thinking a 600 yard rifle, a range at which the 223 is not usually considered effective. After considerable time pouring over ballistics tables I pretty much decided a 243 bolt gun with a bushnell doa 600 scope would do it all and outperform the black guns as well, if needed. I had not thought to look for a 243 used, but might be some good deals out there. 243 ammo still on the shelves too.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:30 pm • # 11 
Administrator

One bolt gun that I'm really intrigued by right now is the Ruger Scout. It's only available in .308, which is my only issue with it.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:50 pm • # 12 

Yep, that's pretty much along the lines I was thinking, but in 243. The 308 is overkill. I was looking at the Mossberg ATR. I would really like a box magazine though.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:14 am • # 13 

I've loaded for the .243 for over 30 years. It is a great long range rifle.....in fact 600 yards is nothing (except in hunting and IMO, 600 yards is too far for any rifle to be shooting at game), but if your looking at a good long range rifle, the 243 is a good one. As I mostly used the rifle for varmints, I stayed with sub 80gr bullets, but if I were to set up a long range target rifle I would stay with 100 gr bullets moving at around 2900fps. The BC is high and the bullet cuts a good slice through the air, even in some wind. Reloader 22 is my powder of choice for bullets 95 grs on up.

I say it is a good long range rifle because up the canyon, there is a safe place were we routinely shoot to 1000 yards.

The 308 is fantastic to 1000 yards as is many standard rounds like my 270 and 280 Rem. One rifle we have been playing with that I sincerely love out around 1000 yards is shooting the 300 H&H my Dad gave me. The 300 H&H is a big ****** cat recoil wise and forgiving as heck.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:16 am • # 14 

J.

I wasn't aware that the m7 Remington was made in 35 Rem. Sounds like a nice thumper.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:30 am • # 15 

I shall have to check out the 300. Does anyone happen to know what a polymer tipped 223 does expansion wise at 600? You get explosive fragmentation close, but how about at 600? The doa 600 scope will allow accurate shots up to 600 yards.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:24 pm • # 16 

I never knew Remington made the model 7 in .35 Remington.....That would be a find. They used to make the little 600 Mohawk carbine in .35 but they are hard to find too. The model 7 was also made in .17 Remington...........a beautiful walking varminter, you can't find those either..on another sad note...The Ruger compact that I have in 7.62X39 has already been discontinued...........Don in SC

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:11 pm • # 17 
Administrator

The Model 7 I'm referring to wasn't a main line production gun. This was back so time in the 80's when I was still in school. It was all the way in the back of the catalog, along with some fancy 700's, this model 7 also had a camo synthetic stock. I've never even seen one in .35 Rem at shows or in a shop, so maybe it was a special order item.

Okay, so I Googled, and it was apparently a model from the Remington Custom Shop. Not much info available on it so it's probably as rare as hen's teeth. There was one for sale on Guns American, but it's an old auction that has ended.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:57 pm • # 18 

Some kinda' drop block in 7.62 x 39 would be neat.....
R

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:19 pm • # 19 

I'll just stay out of this one ;)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 6:38 pm • # 20 

Speaking of 35 caliber stuff......I have been wanted a Browning BLR 358 Win. Twenty years ago, I bought my wife a Browning BLR 308. I love the BLR's and her 308 was the one that fed venison us a lot. It wears a Leupold 4X scope and except for the first year we owned the rifle when it come used with a 3X9 Burris (too much scope for a trim rifle), the scope has never shifted, and that includes the years it was exposed to humidity in Nebraska. He moved to Idaho which is very dry and when we shot it a year later, it was right where it was set before. Our main load is a 150gr Hornaday PSP (not boattail) running at a modest 2700fps which basically duplicates the 300 Savage.....and the original military 150gr Ball 30-06. I can run it harder but there is no need with it comes to hunting and the brass lasts longer and the recoil is lighter for my wife. I trust the rifle so much, were I ever to go on a horse back hunt (be it for elk, sheep, caribou or what have you), this would be the rifle I would take. It is as trim as a model 94 Winchester 30-30, yet has only about 6% less velocity than the 30-06. I would change the bullet out for a 150gr Nosler Partition.

Now, I would like to add a 358 Winchester in the same rifle. The magazines would interchange. I would put the same reliable 4X Leupold on it. My friend in Nebraska who has spent a lot of time hunting big game all over Idaho, Nebraska, Montana, Colorado and Wyoming, not to mention a fair amount of time guiding in British Columbia (something he really could not do legally, but he has a friend who outfits up there and he went up to Wrangle for him....but because of his vast knowledge of guiding for bears, he used him as a guide anyway), called the Browning BLR 358 Winchester a "lever action 375 H&H".

He packed both a 375 H&H and a Browning BLR in 358. He said he used the BLR 358 most of the time as it was lighter, fit in a scabbard and was plenty of poop for a back up against grizzlies and black bears. HE said he has shot a good number of game and witnessed even more, with the 358. He used Speer's 250 gr Hot Core bullets, running a very modest 2300fps, exclusively. HE said that big lumbering bullet really 'stuck' to game as he put it.

I think it would make a nice companion to the BLR 308 we have. I often have day dreams (far out and impossible ones but...) of going to Africa on safari with just the BLRs...one in 308 and one in 358. I would not use the 358 for dangerous game, I would borrow a .416 for that but the 358 would really put the hurt of most of the rest of the game. The trajectory of the 250gr bullet at 2300fps is zero at 200....down 9 inches at 300 yards. Most game is shot at around 100 to 200 yards away.

Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next   Page 1 of 5   [ 83 posts ] New Topic Add Reply