It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:47 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next   Page 3 of 5   [ 83 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: Re: I am wondering.....
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:30 pm • # 41 

jkurtz7 wrote:
Dave,

It's pretty hard not mention politics in this discussion, but hey, you apologized, and we should keep this thread moving.

Yes, I am sorry.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:47 pm • # 42 
Administrator

DCG wrote:
You know one gun I used to own that I really miss is an old Remington m760 pump in 300 Savage. It wore a El Paso Made Weaver 3X scope with a dot. It looked like it spent it's life riding around in a tractor or possible in the bed of a ranchers pick up under a bunch of fencing stuff but it was still sound as can be and very accurate. I always wanted a good 300 Savage but never could afford a Savage Lever Action....so when I found this little pump rifle in a used gun rack and it seemed as though nobody loved it anymore, I was able to buy it for 140.00 dollars. I carried it for 6 or 7 years then had to sell it along with a bunch of guns to help pay for my daughter's surgery.

I loaded for it....150gr Hornaday's at around 2500fps. It was plenty flat shooting, very accurate and very light recoil and noise. I killed a pile of rock chucks and coyotes with it. I remember a friend came up to Idaho to shoot rock chucks one spring. HE set up his bull barreled 22-250 with a 18X scope. I told him he was a sissy and dragged the old pump 300 Savage out and started blasting rock chucks off rocks right before his eyes.

I should have never sold it. I am hoping to find another one.

How about a Savage 99 lever gun in .300 Savage? I like the 99.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:05 pm • # 43 

I would love a m99....but they usually cost more and money is tight as hell. Savings are dried up and I am now burning through investments.....at a loss just to live. The only jobs available for me right now is truck driving over the road and I have too many health probs anymore to drive truck. I guess that is why I am so testy lately and why it is hard for me to care about a lot of things. I am just thinking about perhaps after constructio starts up maybe I might find a cheap gun to buy.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:52 pm • # 44 
Administrator

DCG wrote:
I would love a m99....but they usually cost more and money is tight as hell. Savings are dried up and I am now burning through investments.....at a loss just to live. The only jobs available for me right now is truck driving over the road and I have too many health probs anymore to drive truck. I guess that is why I am so testy lately and why it is hard for me to care about a lot of things. I am just thinking about perhaps after constructio starts up maybe I might find a cheap gun to buy.

I know where you're coming from. As you know, I was out of work for a few years, and now I'm underemployed. Just stay positive, and keep looking for something, but don't let the search get to you.

When I was a teen, I went down to Va. a few times to hunt deer in the mountains with my uncle. One gentleman that we hunted with once had a beautiful M99 in .300 Savage. That's what got me interested in the 99. I haven't seen one for a long time, they don't seem to show up at any guns shows, no matter the chambering. It think the 99 is one of the classiest levers ever.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:53 pm • # 45 

I am putting together a deal with a new friend who was looking for some 41AE ammo, long out of production. I think he will trade some other pistol ammo for it. Works for me.

I am thinking maybe a 17HMR instead of a 22lr rifle to buy soon. Ammo still available for that one.

Not to venture into politics, but the Heller decision may put a cramp on many proposed restrictions, for all kinds of legal reasons. Last gun ban, no Heller to argue. I think even a ban on HCM would be difficult. For those of you with too much time on your hands, the Supremes have a website and you can view the amicus briefs there for some fascinating history. There are dozens.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:15 pm • # 46 

jkurtz7 wrote:
DCG wrote:

I know where you're coming from. As you know, I was out of work for a few years, and now I'm underemployed. Just stay positive, and keep looking for something, but don't let the search get to you.

When I was a teen, I went down to Va. a few times to hunt deer in the mountains with my uncle. One gentleman that we hunted with once had a beautiful M99 in .300 Savage. That's what got me interested in the 99. I haven't seen one for a long time, they don't seem to show up at any guns shows, no matter the chambering. It think the 99 is one of the classiest levers ever.

A friend of mine in Nebraska had a slim and stunning little take down 250-3000 Savage m99. It was extremely accurate with just a peep sight, even to 300 yards. I wouldn't mind one of those. The little 99s are a clean gun and they fit nice in a scabbard. You hardly know they are there. Though not as classic, Brownings mBLR is nice and trim and even the open sights are very crisp to aim with.

So many guns. Things will turn around for me....if there is one thing I have learned is everything changes. I sold off over 4000.00 dollars of firearms and fly rods this time around. No choice. The last time I went through this was when I lived in Nebraska and my business went bankrupt. I let over 100 firearms go then. I had a gob of them. Now I am down to the heirlooms. I can't sell anymore. My fly rods are the same. Down to the bottom.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:21 pm • # 47 

Zenkoanhead wrote:
I am putting together a deal with a new friend who was looking for some 41AE ammo, long out of production. I think he will trade some other pistol ammo for it. Works for me.

I am thinking maybe a 17HMR instead of a 22lr rifle to buy soon. Ammo still available for that one.

Not to venture into politics, but the Heller decision may put a cramp on many proposed restrictions, for all kinds of legal reasons. Last gun ban, no Heller to argue. I think even a ban on HCM would be difficult. For those of you with too much time on your hands, the Supremes have a website and you can view the amicus briefs there for some fascinating history. There are dozens.

I owned a 17 HMR for awhile. It was a Marlin Bolt gun with a BSA Sweet Seventeen scope. The scope is reliable and clear and the compensation settings are right on for HMR ballistics. I shot some 1/4 MOA groups with that rifle at 100 yards. I have never owned a rifle that equaled it in accuracy. I owned an old Smith and Wesson m1500 bull barreled 22-250 when I was younger. I shot some 1/3 inch groups with it but mostly it was around 1/2 inch.

Now I own a MArlin 17 Mach II. IT has the same BSA sweet 17 scope and the settings are slightly off but not bad. It shoots just over 1/2 inch which is plenty good. I've killed over 200 rock chucks with it out to 100 yards. I shot each one in the side of the head, using their eye ball for a bullseye. I am glad I have over 4000 rounds for the 17 Mach II. I am glad.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:28 am • # 48 

I wanted to get something in a .17 but the ammo is way too expensive compared to .22LR.

Oddly enough, I never wanted an AR style rifle until recently. Now, I think they would make a great varmint gun, which is why I'd like to have one...but not in black, sand or sage would be my choice.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:13 am • # 49 

Carter...my friends M15A2 is the green color, cool looking, made by Armalite ..
He uses it for woodchuck hunting ..put a leupold variable 3-12 scope and it is
Accurate as hell .. What I like about the AR15 platform, put the piccatinny rails
On the for-end and you can not believe the options you can add to it .. Not to mention a .22 conversion kit ..which is not available at this time .. I may Get one ...sell a couple of rods I don't use anymore ... Good investment also ..

Paul

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:24 am • # 50 

Speaking of .17 caliber ..I saw the sweetest pistol the other day in that caliber...a Taurus model 970 6.5 inch barrel in stainless steel .... Seriously thinking about getting it .... Sweet firearm ..Jack!!

Paul :) :) :)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:05 am • # 51 

Panfisher1 wrote:
Carter...my friends M15A2 is the green color, cool looking, made by Armalite ..
He uses it for woodchuck hunting ..put a leupold variable 3-12 scope and it is
Accurate as hell .. What I like about the AR15 platform, put the piccatinny rails
On the for-end and you can not believe the options you can add to it .. Not to mention a .22 conversion kit ..which is not available at this time .. I may Get one ...sell a couple of rods I don't use anymore ... Good investment also ..

Paul
I've used an M-16 with the .22LR "conversion", it was not a good experience. The .22LR doesn't have enough gas to make it cycle reliably...which, even though I was just using it to "qualify", made it a frustrating experience. Too much mass in the bolt carrier for the little bit energy a .22LR expends.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:03 pm • # 52 

Carter, I've got a Ciener .22 conversion kit for my .45 auto ..found it likes some
.22 ammo and other it does not cycle the slide, we put a bunch of CCI mini mags thru it without a hiccup ... Thats the way to go now .22 ammo ..even they are getting pretty hard to come by ... Do me a favor will ya? Go down to the Arms room and get me a few cases of .223 ammo, no body going to stop ya you outrank most of em :rollin :rollin :rollin Jack!!

Paul

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:24 pm • # 53 

CCI Mini Mag ammo is the only ammo I run through my Browning Buckmark. It is also the most reliable ammo for my Son's Colt M-4 .22. I have about a thousand rounds left. It is getting expensive. It is also the only ammo I run through my Remington 542-S which shoots sub MOA with it at 100 yards.

Two years ago, I bought a big stock pile of American Eagle .22 shells in 400 rounds bricks. It is a decent ammo, far better than the so called bulk boxes put out by Federal and Remington...most of that being total crap. The AE ammo serves guns like my Winchester 9422, the Ruger 10-22's and the Nylon 66.

When all this smoke clears, whenever that is, I am going to set my centerfire stuff aside for storage, shooting little of it and pick up black powder more. I have a Hawkin Style (Spain Imported) Tradititions knock off 50 Cal. I used to shoot it a lot and even went hunting with it once. My son and I are going to apply for cow moose tags here in Idaho, which are easier to draw than bull tags and the meat would be welcome. If I draw, I am thinking about using the old 'smoke pole'. Even if I don't draw, along the river bottoms is mostly regulated for short range weapons only, shotguns, archery, black powder and certain handguns.

At first I used Goex Black Powder in it with great success. It fires fast and reliably but is a bit dirty and hard to seat a ball after 5 shots or so. I bought some Pyrodex and it is CRAP!, Though cleaner, I had a number of delay fires and even when if fired normally, there was a definite pause between cap burst and ignition. I won't let it in the house. I then tried a pound of 777. This is a good loose powder for side locks. I ran twenty TC Maxi Balls through it and the 20th one went down no harder than the 3rd one. Ignition was instant, just like with real black powder.

I think BP rifles (traditional ones anyway) is something I could really get into.

Last edited by DCG on Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:33 pm • # 54 

Dave ...I could get into the BP rifles also, what gets my interest is all the
Optics and accessories you can attach to the piccatinny rails ..what an innovation when they offered those rails ...it must have increased the market 50 fold ..
I keep looking at gunsamerica and other outlets for rifles for sale ...

Hang in there big guy better days are a coming ..we are all with ya !!

Paul

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:32 pm • # 55 

Panfisher1 wrote:
Dave ...I could get into the BP rifles also, what gets my interest is all the
Optics and accessories you can attach to the piccatinny rails ..what an innovation when they offered those rails ...it must have increased the market 50 fold ..
I keep looking at gunsamerica and other outlets for rifles for sale ...

Hang in there big guy better days are a coming ..we are all with ya !!

Paul

Piccatinny rails on a black powder rifle? the shooting world is going to hell!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:15 pm • # 56 

Sorry my error I meant black rifle ..with piccatinny rail my mistake ..I read
The post as BR ...

Paul

But with that in mind wouldn't surprise me in the least to see rails on
Black powder rifles ...T/C drills and taps their .50 cal barrel for mounts
That are the predecessor to rails .... There are handguns that now have
Mounts for optics and lasers are consider piccatinny rails ...

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:20 pm • # 57 

Paul, I don't have keys to the armory, you're gonna have to wait 'til the panic buyers subside and the rounds are readily available back on the shelf. :lol

DCG wrote:
Piccatinny rails on a black powder rifle? the shooting world is going to hell!
I thought that was a little off. :lol

Then again, now folks are making "tactical" 30-30 lever actions:

I don't know if I like it or hate it... :-\ I know Picatinny rails are tacti-cool and have a useful place mounting accessories, but they are also quite sharp and if not covered with a hand guard/grip they hurt after a while.

*edit-picture wouldn't show using the img tags with the manufacturer's location

Last edited by Cowpokey on Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:01 pm • # 58 

Carter ... That's the word I was looking for "tactical" everything is now
Classified as tactical ..I saw a Ruger1022 in the range the other day, I hadda look
Twice b4 I recognized it... Only thing original was the barrel,action,had a thumb hole stock, and check this out, you had a choice of a 30 round magazine or a 50 round drum and that's in .22 caliber...cool looking thing, they had more crap you could purchase for it, fold away stock .. Looked at that Taurus 970 revolver again in 22 this time ..your right 17 cal isn't cheap .. :eek ...may get it in 22 LR .. Jack !

Paul

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:14 pm • # 59 

Ruger 10/22 has been one of the most modifiable guns for a long time.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:30 pm • # 60 

Carter,Talk about modifications and tactical, I had this sweet model 870 Remington short barrel pump 12 gauge ..the barrel was I believe 18 inches ..what a
Turkey shotgun ... I had a couple of chokes that you couldn't believe how far out it would hold a pattern together ..great turkey gun which I used often when I was back east ..,gave it to my brother who proceeded to modify into a tactical shotgun, changed the stock from wood to that composite crap, put an extended mag tube to handle more rounds, then a pistol grip .....different sights , glow in the dark ..looks like something out a Star Trek ... What a waste of a good hunting shotgun that took its share of eastern gobblers ......

Paul :'( :'( :'(

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next   Page 3 of 5   [ 83 posts ] New Topic Add Reply