It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:32 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 6 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:25 pm • # 1 

When I was a lad, it seems like every grown man (and a lot of women) I knew carried something like this in their pocket (or purse), and those tiny knives saw a lot of use in daily life. Even the farmers I knew, who almost universally carried a three blade stockman pattern with main (clip) blade of about 3 inches, always seemed to have one of these little patterns (called "go to meeting" knives due to their use on Sundays), which they carried whenever they came to town in good clothes for church, meeting with their banker, or dates. With the new TSA pocketknife rule relaxation almost upon us, I started looking at what I have and what would pass airport security. For sake of comparison, I put my Jess Horn lightweight pocket fighter in the middle. It has a 2.6 inch blade (and is a lock-back)--it wouldn't pass. Also for scale (and because this is a UL flyfishing forum) is a vintage Orvis CFO II (2.5 inch diameter). The aluminum handled SAK on the left is a "discontinued" Bantam, which is the most practical pattern I've ever had in my pocket for everyday use. Its blade is just a mm or so over the TSA limit, but the elegant pearl and nickel silver handled 1970's era Hen and Rooster (bottom left), which also sports a combination tool, passes easily.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:42 pm • # 2 

I remember being mortified when someone asked to borrow my pocketknife and I didn't have one with me. Never even occurred to me to ask why the other guy didn't have his. I think some of the old timers did that on purpose. Is there still a brand of knife by that name?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:35 pm • # 3 

I have quite a collection of pocket knives too, just got to have em :rollin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:18 pm • # 4 

"Old Timer" was a Schrade brand. Schrade closed down a few years ago, but I think the employees put their pennies together and bought the company. Don't know how they're doing with that (should check). I usually carry two small knives. One high quality and razor sharp, and the other is something relatively disposable, like a small, two-bladed Swiss Army Knife--just for crappy jobs that don't need a great edge and borrowers (who never know how to properly use a knife--if they did, they'd carry their own). Of course, I've been known to pretend I didn't have a knife and borrow someone else's when I thought the job might mess up my edge--another old timer trick. :hat

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:01 pm • # 5 

I like you knife selection CC plenty of Case knifes and that Jess Horn in the center reminds me of my Case PlowBoys. I normaly carry a pocket clip knife like the SOG Twitch 2 top center and a small folder/multifunction Swiss Army like on the right.

A couple other favorites in this picture are the previousley mentioned Case Plowboy 3rd down center, my original Cub Scout knife 3rd from botom center and the cheap inexpensive chinese made knife in the center with fake pearl and fake engraved Largemouth Bass which was a gift from my daughter many years ago.

There's just something about a knife, I feel naked without one.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:24 pm • # 6 

I like tracking the progression of the most carried knives over time from single blade to multi- special purpose cutting blades to multi-tools with a cutting blade to multi-tools. Seems like multi-tool knives (SAKs) are making a comeback over multi-tools. Most people these days wouldn't have a clue what traditional multi-blade knives' blades are called and what they were used for.

Page 1 of 1   [ 6 posts ] New Topic Add Reply