It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:24 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Go to page Previous  1, 2   Page 2 of 2   [ 33 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:08 am • # 21 

The narrative does approach poetry: "This is the way the world ends, not with a bang, but a whimper". T.S. Eliott. Was it the Wastland or the Hollow Men? Been awhile.

I seem to recall Col. Kurtz in Apocolypse Now had Elliot on his table.

You can begin to see how this zombie theme has played through literature and film for a very long time. Your question fits perfectly David.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:20 am • # 22 

I don't believe in things like the 'end of the world' (at least as the human interpretation of it). I don't even believe in the bible nor any organized religion....none of it. The world will not end anytime soon....maybe billions of years from now it will die. Humans might end....in fact, it is highly likely we will end as no species have lived on earth from the dawn of time until now so there is no reason to believe we will be here when it ends either.

My beef in this fight is I believe if humanity ends, it will be our fault....so I get kind of wound up when I see people going out of their minds. We are going to bring about the end for most of us without cause or any good human benefit. I mean, what I see people complaining about is in reality 'chicken s**t.' I think we have it pretty good compared to much of the planet. I mean, I feel free. There in no law out there I wish to break. Even if they did pass serious gun legislation, which won't happen, but even if all guns besides double barreled shotguns, bolt action rifles and muzzleloaders got banned, life would go on. It might suck for awhile, but certainly, there would be no reason to put a dent in the human population over it.

Again, the end of humanity will be human caused and unnecessarily so. I guess, this might all blow over in a few months, one year tops. I hope so. I would like to believe my guns are of some use to me. I would like to see ammo available once more. I would mind taking my kids out target shooting and not have it bankrupt me.

If it hasn't and more than a year from now, things are still on the 'people loosing their minds' paradigm, I will dump some guns and buy some good fly rods and maybe a bow or two. I will keep only family heirlooms and unload the rest. I will wait to see first. I can wait one year.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:34 am • # 23 

I wonder if Brent, out friend from Canada could answer this: is ammo available up there? Are Canadians going nutz or is this just an American plague?

I did a quick Wiki Search and found that over 90% of all nations have some gun rights. They might be highly restrictive, but in most places, you could buy a gun and likely go hunting....almost everywhere. Yes, guns might get highly regulated here in the US. I don't agree with highly restrictive gun legislation but I am not going to enter a war over it either. I just can't understand what the motives are for stock piling ammo, especially at inflated prices. That is like waiting until gas is 4.50 per gal to fill the tank and consequently all the 50 gal barrels you have stashed in the back yard.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:51 am • # 24 

Well, last time I looked, prices had gone up some, but not by a factor of 5! :eek Our prices have increased because our markets are so affected by US markets and behaviour. And there have been some supply issues, as well, although not like what we see in media coverage out of the US. Mind you, the market for handgun ammo here is pretty minimal, and no one here is planning a revolution - at least that I've heard about.

As I noted before, we have just experienced a relaxing of firearm control, in the form of the abandonment and dismantling of our long gun registry (sporting arms). One still needs a 'possession only license" to own firearms, and a "possession and acquisiton license" to acquire any more firearms. There IS a background check involved in both. But in the absence of a registry, you can easily see that there are ways around the need for an 'acquisition ' license. ;) And of course, handguns, automatic rifles and a few other things are 'restricted' weapons, requiring a lot more paperwork and regulation to own/transport them. Mind you, almost no one (outside of LEO) has permission to 'carry'. As a result, very few folk own these.

In any case, based on my experience, no, there's not been a fear-induced run on firearms, any more than on ammunition. There may have been an increase in firearm sales following the closing of the registry, but this would be 'happy' buying, not 'fear' buying, and nothing that would be quite as sensational (or sensationalized) as what you folks have experienced.
But this is our culture, a side effect of our laws and our history. When I visit your country, which I do a LOT, I am aware of the differences in this regard, I recognize that I am a guest in your house, and try to behave accordingly. I believe it is the best way to respect another country's culture.
While not particularly nationalistic or patriotic, I am mostly pleased with life in Canada. However, I don't for one minute think everyone in the world should (or even could) be just like us.
brent

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:07 pm • # 25 

Wheeze - what do you think of the treatment of Guy Fawkes in our current culture?For an English movie, V is for Vendetta certainly captured an American sentiment.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:05 pm • # 26 

Zenkoanhead wrote:
Wheeze - what do you think of the treatment of Guy Fawkes in our current culture?For an English movie, V is for Vendetta certainly captured an American sentiment.

I guess it helps a lot if one has only a cursory historical awareness of the events and politics surrounding the original Guy Fawkes debacle. I gotta say, the relationship between real events and the current revisionist treatment is a tad odd. Seems like an odd mascot.
Not familiar with the V is for Vendetta phenomenon.

I may not be the best person to comment on the whole 'too much taxation/too much government' thing. In my experience, if you take 20 randomly selected people and ask them to identify the programs that need to be stopped to save their tax dollars, you'll get 20 different answers. And a lot of those answers will circle around the idea of 'I don't know, but we gotta cut sumpthin'.

In democracies, we generally get the governments we deserve. We certainly get the governments we elect.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:47 pm • # 27 
Administrator

blufloyd wrote:
Divide and conquer. You won't see the toxic cloud from the drones.
I refuse to go out with a whimper though. Have a great day.

As Charlton Heston said, "from my cold dead hands". All I can say is that I'm not afraid of confrontation, and I will stand my ground. This whole deal right now has forced me to draw a line in the sand.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 12:54 am • # 28 

You need to see it Wheeze. This time around it is the old Guy that is the hero. V is for Vendetta is a complete reversal of the original tale. I won't give away the ending.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 6:09 am • # 29 

Zenkoanhead wrote:
You need to see it Wheeze. This time around it is the old Guy that is the hero. V is for Vendetta is a complete reversal of the original tale. I won't give away the ending.

OK, I'm intrigued. I'll check it out. Dang, you ARE a good angler. Toss the fly out, twitch it temptingly, set the hook! :rollin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 2:25 pm • # 30 

I checked the net and some other folks have noted the novel treatment of Guy in V. After Wheeze sees it I will chat as to why I think it captures this debate. As a coincidence, Guy was hoarding gunpowder, which is central to the historic revision.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 3:01 pm • # 31 

Zenkoanhead wrote:
I checked the net and some other folks have noted the novel treatment of Guy in V. After Wheeze sees it I will chat as to why I think it captures this debate. As a coincidence, Guy was hoarding gunpowder, which is central to the historic revision.

Hey, go ahead with your chat. I'm heading off to the salmon camp for a while, starting at first light tomorrow morning, without a particular return date. Not fair to hold you lads up while I'm off flinging flies.

The oddness that struck me, re. the use of Guy Fawkes as an icon for American protest, is that his main intent would, in a US context, fly directly in the face of the 1st Amendment.
brent

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:05 am • # 32 

Nah, I can wait. The current fascination had nothing to do with religion. It has to do with the way Everyman views the State.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:10 am • # 33 

Just got an email from Bass Pro, 5.56 in stock no limit while supplies last, $10.97/box. Maybe the ammo manufacturers have caught up with the nonsense the panic buying hoarders caused.

Go to page Previous  1, 2   Page 2 of 2   [ 33 posts ] New Topic Add Reply