It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:59 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 8 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 4:31 pm • # 1 

Ok, your dream has come true and you have come into some money - lots of money. Now your retired and your going to spend the rest of your life traveling the world fishing and perhaps hunting....or target shooting for non hunters and your going to put together a collection of firearms to take with you, but you are limited to three or four firearms in number, to fit in the vehicle, (to get on a plane might be limited to two), etc. You might be just traveling with some guns going around the country visiting friends you met online through fishing forums, wanting to go fishing together and perhaps some shooting as well. You might be traveling over seas and if your destination (like Patagonia) could offer some upland hunting, or you might be in Alaska in the Fall and wish to combine some fall fly fishing with some Ptarmigan, or you might visit Idaho and combine some late Fall fly fishing with a few days chasing Chuckers or Ruffed grouse, or Big Game might be on your agenda, fly fishing in Africa along with the desire for a Cape Buffalo or nice Kudu so you might wish to have a 375 H&H as one of your firearms.

What do you buy?

Me, as I do have some interest in hunting but not fanatically so, I think I would prefer to spend my time traveling around doing some wing shooting as well as sporting clays, so two of my firearms would be shotguns, definitely O/U guns as in many countries (possibly ours too....someday), double barrel guns will be the norm and given deep pockets (right!....but we are dreaming here so why not), I would find a pair of O/U, one in 12 ga. the other a 20 ga.....probably vintage stuff like Browning Superposed or older Winchester 101's....maybe even older Italian made Weatherby Regency's. Neither gun would need to be 3" chambered and preferably so as I doubt I would hunt web footed fowl.....only upland or dove. Long ago, I shot Registered Trap and I have two throwers here at home, so shooting flying rocks is in my blood.

I would be in it for fun so a serious clays gun would not be necessary. I would have chosen side by side guns but with my eye dominance issues, I do better with a single barrel....and a skinny rib. I might make one a 16 ga but perhaps finding ammo in far out places might be harder.

I think some upland bird hunting and traveling around sampling some sporting clays would suit me just fine.

My third gun I already own, my old Winchester m94-22 in .22 lr. Good for general plinking at various public ranges and you can pack lots of ammo along, and find it everywhere (I hope things return to this someday and .22 ammo is found everywhere).

OK, this is where I allow a fourth firearm, mine would be for the occasional big game hunt....say a caribou in Alaska or perhaps plains game in Africa, maybe Argali sheep in Mongolia.....this gun too I already own....my Remington m700 Classic in 300H&H. Ammo is hard to find but it is not likely you will need much and I have a bunch, along with loading dies for more.

Four firearms is a bunch to fly with so it is likely you would have a nice firearm case for two....so in Africa, one of the shotguns and the 300 H&H would go, along with whatever fly rods I would use....probably a 3wt and a 6wt. Alaska would require the same combination.

Anyway, so what firearms do you buy?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:57 pm • # 2 

20 gauge over-under, 243 wssm, 22 lr bolt, 9mm CZ 75. The shotgun would work for clays and hunting, the rifle for all game up to deer, the 22 for small game and plinking, and the 9 for recreation and self defense. I own 3 of the 4, but still need the 22 bolt, as mine got away some years back.

The 243 wssm I took in trade, otherwise I would buy a 243 standard.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:11 am • # 3 

Bennelli 20 gauge left hand semi-auto. Left hand 7mm-08. My Ruger 10-22 Rifle. And one I wish I had back, a Browning Hi Power in 40.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 4:06 pm • # 4 

Well, if I had a bunch of money I would have to go with one of these:

http://www.everydaynodaysoff.com/2009/1 ... nsferable/

and one of these

http://www.anzioironworks.com/MAG-FED-20MM-RIFLE.htm

/Thread ;)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:47 pm • # 5 

Blaser K95 Baronesse Rifle in .284 or .308 caliber

Beretta 687EELL Classic in 28 guage

&

NULA Model 20 short in 7mm-08

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:35 pm • # 6 

philos wrote:
Blaser K95 Baronesse Rifle in .284 or .308 caliber

Beretta 687EELL Classic in 28 guage

&

NULA Model 20 short in 7mm-08

I had a friend I worked with who had a Blaser Rifle set up, one barrel 300 Win Mag, the other 375 H&H....perfect traveling set up.

BTW, the 284 Win is one round that has always intrigued me. I owned a Winchester m88 Pre 64 in 308 which unfortunately I had to sell last year, I love the 308 round but had the rifle been a 284, I would have never gotten rid of it. (280 Remington in a lever action).

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 11:51 pm • # 7 

No budget then one of the first choices would have to be a nice English side by side to take out in the paddock to give the rabbits and foxes around the farm heaps and if duck season happens again down here in Australia then I,ll be ready.
Then something a bit bigger for the feral pigs goats and deer probably something like a .308 bolt action.
For the longer range same animals then maybe a 7 mm Rem Mag or 338
Finally for heaps of fun with the bunnies a .22.
I would get some one to build the centre fires but for the .22 I already have one I wouldn't want to part with an old Brno mod 2 bolt action.All would have to be bolt action as even if you came across heaps of money here in Australia that's about all we can have unless you are a pro hunting the ferals

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 10:24 am • # 8 

If money is no object.....mmmmmmmmmm

Holland and Holland sbs shotgun with barrels for 3 inch multi choke 12, 20, 410

Holland and Holland double rifle with barrels for 470ne, 308, 223

22 bolt action cz or sako

Custom Double action revolver shooting 410 and 45

Page 1 of 1   [ 8 posts ] New Topic Add Reply