It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:01 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Go to page 1, 2  Next   Page 1 of 2   [ 33 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: No .22 ammunition
PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 12:57 pm • # 1 

Two major stores and one shooting range are without any .22 ammo ..
This is ridiculous ...can't believe people are hoarding .22 ..another range
Had .22 only available for their customers ...when will this all end ... ??? ???

Paul

Post subject: Re: No .22 ammunition
PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 2:23 pm • # 2 
Administrator

It's funny, the one round that surpasses all other in numbers manufactured is almost completely absent on store shelves. I haven't seen any .22 since before December. It's actually more scarce than 9mm around here, and 9mm is hard to find. However, if you want 12 gauge bird shot, that seems to be available everywhere.

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 3:31 pm • # 3 

Jeremy .. Your absolutely right.. Not one Type of .22 standard, high velocity, target, zero ...but all the shotgun shells you want and odd rifle ammunition 6x54x55 ...just crawling with boxes of odd stuff ... I'm going to try the net and order me a brick of
.22 ...we just got back from Walmart ... Nothing ...

Paul

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 3:49 pm • # 4 

Stopped by the Cabelas Store in Utah yesterday. They had a fair bit of .22 ammo. It sure has gone up in price. Bricks of 500 Winchester was 39 bucks.

If the shooting industry and gun/ammo shops insist on practicing run away profiteering (the dark and shady side to capitalism), then as far as I am concerned, the whole industry can kiss my butt. It will fall or dwindle ultimately loosing in the end. They won't have to ban or regulate guns and ammo....people will just give up and it crumbles from within. Fear, reaction, suspicion and greed will do it in, not law.

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 12:03 pm • # 5 

I'm really getting discouraged now .. This is way out of control ..we talking about plain old .22 ammunition ..the stuff we used to burn up plinking by the case .. On the net yesterday this person was asking $80 for a brick ...another the bidding was at $120 for three bricks of federal ammo and it was just the beginning of the bids ..this is plain old stupid ...

Paul

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 1:20 pm • # 6 

If any of you lads live near the border, bricks of 525 Federal (yeah, I know...) are $26 at Canadian Tire. No shortage here in Canuckistan that I'm aware of, but I've no idea what the rules are about importation of ammo.

Question for the stockpilers: Any idea how long 22 rimfire can be stored and still be reliable?
brent

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 1:42 pm • # 7 

Brent ... Storage like forever, still use old type paper shotgun shells, got ammo thats a minimum of 15-20 years old.. No corrosion at all ....
I don't know what laws governing the importation of ammunition are, once tried bringing in some Canadian beer, Brodeur (not sure if the spelling ) got a lot grief and had to pay tax on it b4 they would release it ..just a hassle, but if you want something bad enough you'll have to deal with it ....

Paul

Spent the last few hours putting together an inventory of .22 ammo I've got
About 400 rounds ....

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 8:58 pm • # 8 

wheezeburnt wrote:
If any of you lads live near the border, bricks of 525 Federal (yeah, I know...) are $26 at Canadian Tire. No shortage here in Canuckistan that I'm aware of, but I've no idea what the rules are about importation of ammo.

Question for the stockpilers: Any idea how long 22 rimfire can be stored and still be reliable?
brent

I could say something here as to why you can get ammo in Canada and get it cheaper than here in the US, but politics are discouraged here.

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 6:57 pm • # 9 

Hey! Hey, Hey !!!! Purchased five boxes of .22 ammunition Aguila supermax HV at $4.99 a box of 50 rounds ... That's more like it and I'm going back in the morning for five more ....am I hoarding ? Dam right I am ... Going to a gun show at the fairgrounds this Saturday and going to get some more ...

Paul

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 3:31 pm • # 10 
Administrator

I stocked up on .22 last year before election time. During 2012, Dunhams would run sales on Blazer 525 packs, 2 for $30, so I bought a good bit when they were cheap. Funny thing, I haven't shot my .22 in a good while. I'm more interested in
center fire handguns, and concealed carry stuff right now. A good .22 pistol would be nice to have though.

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 4:59 pm • # 11 

jkurtz7 wrote:
I stocked up on .22 last year before election time. During 2012, Dunhams would run sales on Blazer 525 packs, 2 for $30, so I bought a good bit when they were cheap. Funny thing, I haven't shot my .22 in a good while. I'm more interested in
center fire handguns, and concealed carry stuff right now. A good .22 pistol would be nice to have though.

I hear ya. Now that I am starting work again next week, I am planning on saving up some money for a CCW for my Idaho back country fishing. Looking at a Gen 4 Glock 29 10mm to stick in my fishing pack. I just hope there is 10mm ammo by fall when I have enough money saved to buy it.

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 8:04 pm • # 12 
Administrator

Dave, one of the LGS has had 10mm during this ammo mess. I have also seen reports on gun boards that say 10mm has been plentiful. My guess is that since it isn't a popular cartridge, there was probably a good supply sitting in shops and wholesaler warehouses.

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 10:47 am • # 13 

Purchased five more 50 round boxes of .22 ammo, getting close to where I want
To be. 500-750 should be enough inventory ..

Jeremy ..had a discussion re ammo availability with one of the sales associates at the range we go to ...he told us that 9mm is getting scare also, not readily available ..I know you interest in that caliber ... Just a heads up ...

Paul

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 3:57 pm • # 14 
Administrator

Paul, when I bought my one son a 410 last month, the shops handgun ammo aisle was full, except for the large gaping empty space in the middle where the 9mm usually sets.

I've been lucky enough to buy up about 500 rods of 9mm at Walmart since January. You just have to be there when they are putting the shipment, which is never more than a case worth, out in the morning. Using the Walmart iPhone app, I am able to know when they get a shipment of federal 9mm in.

I have two unopened cases of 9mm that I bought back in 2006, but it's there for emergency purposes only, so I just buy what I will pretty much shoot up in practice. I do buy 9mm jhp for carry, when it's available.

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 4:14 pm • # 15 

Jeremy .. Your right he who hesitates has lost ....when at the shooting range other day I looked at a .410/45 Taurus Judge ...massive firearm with the big cylinders ..I was thinking about getting one but I just don't like the fixed sights ....410 coming out if a six inch barrel, wonder what you could hit with it ?

Paul

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 7:46 pm • # 16 
Administrator

Paul,

Watch this Hickok45 video on the Taurus Judge. I think it's a neat gun, but most types of 410 ammo that would be shot out of it are pretty much worthless for self defense.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRlry5KH6I0

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 8:15 pm • # 17 

Panfisher1 wrote:
...410 coming out if a six inch barrel, wonder what you could hit with it ?

Paul
center mass.

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 11:41 am • # 18 

Jeremy ...

That was one of the best previews of a firearm I have ever seen ... The weapon
At close range with 00 buck shoot will ruin your whole day ... 4-6-7 1/2 shot put
Up a nice pattern, for what I don't know, but with the defensive rounds I'm impressed with the pistol ... .45 colt once you find where to hold was fairly accurate ..he felt like I do, the sights leave a lot to be desired, but it's a point and shoot weapon ...in the next few day I'm going to look at 6 inch SS judge ...stay tuned ...and thanks for the vid, I'm going to watch some of his others, they are excellent... :applause :applause

Paul ...

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 11:47 am • # 19 

Carter ..........

You got it ... Like I told Jeremy with 00 buck shoot ..make sure ya got a
Change of under shorts, cause it will mess up your whole day ....thing is
Pretty deadly at close range ..I'm impressed ....did you watch the video ?

Paul

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 4:13 pm • # 20 
Administrator

I'm a big fan of hickok45, love his vids and watch them often. He adds a new one about every week. Another on I'm a huge fan of is tnodoors9. He does lots of videos on testing defensive rounds in ballistic gel.

http://www.youtube.com/user/tnoutdoors9?feature=watch

Go to page 1, 2  Next   Page 1 of 2   [ 33 posts ] New Topic Add Reply