It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:13 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next   Page 1 of 5   [ 83 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: CCW guns.
PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 8:28 pm • # 1 
Administrator

I finally got my CCW not long ago, and I'm carrying a Glock 26 right now. I bought the gun back in late January, or early February, can't remember now. I'm not a Glock fanboy, and it wasn't what I actually wanted to purchase in the first place, but it was on my list of suitable substitutes.

I had my heart set on a Ruger LCR .38 Special, but when I had the funds to buy a new gun, the gun and ammo panic buying was well under way after Sandy Hook.
I wasn't able to get an LCR anywhere unless it was the .22LR version so that was out. I settled on the Glock 26 because it was available, very lightly used, for a good price. I'll likely get an LCR or other decent snubby .38 at some point.

The top photo shows my G26 in an RM Holsters kydex IWB. It's all one piece of kydex, and like a klutz, I broke the belt clip. I was pretty bummed, I really loved that holster. The knife is my EDC blade, a Spyderco Ulize.

The second pic shows my newly acquired holster that replaced the RM (I carried in a cheap Desantis IWB in the interim). It's a Foxx Holsters kydex/leather hybrid call the Little Foxx. I like it, but not as much as that RM. I'll get another RM eventually.

What are you fellow CCW'ers carrying?

Post subject: Re: CCW guns.
PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 4:44 am • # 2 

I usually carry a Colt Officers in 45, or an original Colt Gov 380.

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 1:51 pm • # 3 

i have the glock 27. great little guns. i would also love to have the lcr. super light. ruger also makes a great little pocket gun, the lcp. with the optional clip (like a knife clip), i have actually carried it tucked inside a pair of gym shorts, clipped to the waistband. probably the most concealable gun i have ever owned. better be up close if you have to use it though.

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 2:38 pm • # 4 

Carried a Glock M30 for years, recently switched to a Taurus PT 1911 in .45 using a Kydex holster .... The 1911 isn't as concealable as the compact Glocks are ..but I am a .45 caliber fan from way back .....

Paul

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 7:09 pm • # 5 

Glock 27,S&W 60 or Kel-Tec .380,whenever the thought or mood comes to mind.

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 5:21 pm • # 6 

I stopped by the LGS today. As I am starting work Monday, I think I will go ahead and upgrade my fishing carry gun. I seldom carry anywhere else besides the great outdoors, either picking berries in the Fall or out fishing streams or just taking the Mountain Bike for a spin. When just out in public, I do not carry. Anyway, I told my friend who works down there to shoot me a text if he sees a Generation 4 Glock 20 or 29 10mm show up or a clean used Glock 20 SF.

Up until now, my carry gun was a Charter Arms Bulldog 44 Special. I plan on keeping it as it is still a good packing gun and I have hundreds of rounds of handloads for it. I also have a Ruger SS Security Six 4" 357. It is a tad loose, not dangerously so but a bit loose so after a gunsmith gets done wrenching on it, I am giving it to my 15 yr old boy. He can carry open if an adult is around. He likes shooting it and while he seldom fishes, we do spend a lot of time together in the outdoors.

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 7:19 pm • # 7 
Administrator

Dave,

This is just my opinion, but I don't think Glocks are worth the current retail price.
I got my 26 used, only 150 rds through it, and it also had sight, and connector upgrades done to it.

The first Glock I ever bought was a 23 back in 2000. If I remember right, I paid like $375 brand new for it then. Sure, it's 13 years later, but Glock prices have crept up to almost the H&K range. When you consider that a Glock cost about $150 to produce the $600 (average) price tag doesn't seem like a good deal.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:53 pm • # 8 

Depending on my mood that day (and the weather) I will carry one of the following: S&W airweight (hammerless), Sig P220ST or a Kimber Raptor (Usually in colder weather when I have a jacket on as it is not a small weapon). I used to have a XD 9mm but there was something I just didn't like about it so I sold the thing. Was thinking of checking out a Glock but I am still undecided.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 4:47 pm • # 9 
Administrator

Sasha wrote:
Depending on my mood that day (and the weather) I will carry one of the following: S&W airweight (hammerless), Sig P220ST or a Kimber Raptor (Usually in colder weather when I have a jacket on as it is not a small weapon). I used to have a XD 9mm but there was something I just didn't like about it so I sold the thing. Was thinking of checking out a Glock but I am still undecided.

I had an XD9 when I went through the police academy. It was reliable and more accurate than the two .40 Glocks I had owned previously. I got rid of it for two reasons. 1. the slide lock lever sits back far enough that when I used my preferred thumbs forward grip, my strong hand thumb always sat on the lever, and the slide never locked back on an empty mag. I had to change up my grip, which I never did like.
2. Mine was made before they started using the melonite finish, and it rusted easily if not constantly wiped down with Break-Free. That's not a good thing for a carry gun, although I didn't have a CCW back then, so it was never actually carried other than in a duty holster while at the academy.

I love the ergonomics and trigger on the XD, but it ended up being traded for a German made Walther PP, which didn't stay long either, should have kept it though.

Glocks are okay, I'm not a fan of the full size 17/22, the 19/23, or the .45/10mm frame. The 26 fits me fine, and I shoot it well enough, but I'm not in any way a Glock kool-aid drinker. It is simply a viable CCW tool to me, and there is no sentimental attachment to it at all like some guns inspire.

I'll probably buy a new carry gun next year. Whats on the candidate list now is the Ruger LCR, S&W Shield, and the Beretta Nano. I've shot a Ruger LCR in .22LR. I like the feel of the gun, and the trigger is pretty sweet. I haven't found an example of the Smith or Beretta locally to play with yet. The Shield has been almost unobtainium in this area, and I've only met two guys that actually own one.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 6:36 pm • # 10 

Did you start this thread for the sole purpose of letting everyone know you don't like something? This is like your opinion of TFO...only with Glock in its place. ::)

There's a reason people carry Glocks, it isn't because they're pretty. Funny how S&W did everything they could to copy it and people that openly "hate" Glocks; "love" the S&W.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:48 pm • # 11 

carter .... I Love glocks .. Mine was made in 1997 ... It's a Model 30 compact in .45
And it's the most accurate sidearm out of the box I have ever seen ... Glock pistols have almost a cult following, you either love em or you hate em ....Taurus firearms had the same negative rap until they released their PT 1911 comparable in performance,accessories, and price to any 1911 on the market ....now very sought after ..

Paul

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:55 pm • # 12 
Administrator

Carter, I carry a Glock 26 everyday. End of story.

TFO? In the same price range, ECHO blows TFO away. Tim Rajeff used to work for G. Loomis, the guy knows how to design a rod, Lefty Kreh, not so much.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:40 pm • # 13 

I've had my Glock 22 for almost 20 years, don't know how many thousands of rounds I've put through it.

Carried a Glock 19 (and an M-4) in Afghanistan...never had to use it, but never had a doubt in my mind that it would get the job done if needed. I've shot a lot of different pistolas, never liked one more than a Glock...they aren't pretty and nobody expects them to win a beauty contest.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:07 pm • # 14 

Thought I read while back that Gary Loomis is now affiliated with TFO .. The
Combination fly/spin rods where his introduction into the company ... There where a couple of press releases stating that happening ...

Paul

Tim Rajeff is a very talented fly tackle designer, he was also affiliated
With AirFlo fly lines and they make IMHO the best fly lines on the market !

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:22 pm • # 15 

jkurtz7 wrote:
Sasha wrote:

I had an XD9 when I went through the police academy. It was reliable and more accurate than the two .40 Glocks I had owned previously. I got rid of it for two reasons. 1. the slide lock lever sits back far enough that when I used my preferred thumbs forward grip, my strong hand thumb always sat on the lever, and the slide never locked back on an empty mag. I had to change up my grip, which I never did like.
2. Mine was made before they started using the melonite finish, and it rusted easily if not constantly wiped down with Break-Free. That's not a good thing for a carry gun, although I didn't have a CCW back then, so it was never actually carried other than in a duty holster while at the academy.

I love the ergonomics and trigger on the XD, but it ended up being traded for a German made Walther PP, which didn't stay long either, should have kept it though.

Glocks are okay, I'm not a fan of the full size 17/22, the 19/23, or the .45/10mm frame. The 26 fits me fine, and I shoot it well enough, but I'm not in any way a Glock kool-aid drinker. It is simply a viable CCW tool to me, and there is no sentimental attachment to it at all like some guns inspire.

I'll probably buy a new carry gun next year. Whats on the candidate list now is the Ruger LCR, S&W Shield, and the Beretta Nano. I've shot a Ruger LCR in .22LR. I like the feel of the gun, and the trigger is pretty sweet. I haven't found an example of the Smith or Beretta locally to play with yet. The Shield has been almost unobtainium in this area, and I've only met two guys that actually own one.

Thanks for the info, I may check out a few and see what I think. When I was much younger I shot a Glock 30 and wasn't a fan. Now I am thinking of trying one out again... You should start a 9mm vs. .45 or a 5.56 vs. 7.62 thread next :lol

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:45 pm • # 16 

jkurtz7 wrote:

TFO? In the same price range, ECHO blows TFO away. Tim Rajeff used to work for G. Loomis, the guy knows how to design a rod, Lefty Kreh, not so much.

So if anyone's opinion is different than yours, it's not up for debate?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:28 pm • # 17 
Administrator

Cowpokey wrote:
jkurtz7 wrote:

So if anyone's opinion is different than yours, it's not up for debate?

Compare them side by side ie, Echo Carbon 7'3" 2wt vs TFO Finesse 7'3" 2wt and then tell me what you think. Bet you pick the Echo.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:33 pm • # 18 
Administrator

Paul,

Gary Loomis helped design their conventional rods, the spin fly is part of that series. He hasn't had anything to do with the fly rods, and it shows.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:58 pm • # 19 

Isn't TFO vs Echo kind of like Hi Point vs Lorcin Image

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:17 pm • # 20 

Hope he does become involved it their fly rod production ..I've owned many if his
Rods, IMX, GLX, GL3 and GL2 and a few blanks that were made into custom rods just to name a few .. My understanding is that Bob Dennison used Loomis blanks in the construction of his Banty fly rods ... GLoomis is an innovator for sure when it comes to
Graphite rod construction ....

Paul

Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next   Page 1 of 5   [ 83 posts ] New Topic Add Reply