It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:55 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next   Page 2 of 5   [ 83 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: Re: CCW guns.
PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:50 pm • # 21 

jkurtz7 wrote:
Cowpokey wrote:
<snip>

Compare them side by side ie, Echo Carbon 7'3" 2wt vs TFO Finesse 7'3" 2wt and then tell me what you think. Bet you pick the Echo.
I've got the TFO...send me an Echo and I'll do a side by side comparison and post my honest opinion. I've got a couple different reels and a few lines to use already. ;)

Back on topic. I don't have a CCW, but if/when I move back to the States I'll get one if available at the location I choose to live. Then I'll be getting a smaller Glock for a carry weapon. The plastic Glock "copies" don't do it for me...but if I was looking for something 1911ish, the Springfield XD is an interesting interpretation with a plastic frame.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 5:50 pm • # 22 
Administrator

Carter, I don't hate Glocks, otherwise I wouldn't own and carry a 26, it works for me, and it has it's place. The deal for me with Glocks is a matter of ergonomics. The full size, and compacts do not fit my hand comfortably unless there is major grip surgery done to them. Getting rid of the grip hump on those models and making the back strap straight makes them feel much better to me, and I've handled guns modded that way.

The Sig classic pistols, 226, 228/229, etc, are arguably some of the finest combat pistols made, but to me they feel like a big fat brick in the hand, and the slide stop sits directly under my thumb, which is a problem for me. A good friend of mine loves his 229, and it's an excellent choice for him, but they don't work out for me.

My list of pistols in my original post is based on the fact that the two autos mentioned are slimmer than the Glock 26, which translates to slightly more carry comfort and concealability. I'd rather have the slimness of a single stack than the double stack. The LCR is a no-branier, it's very easy to conceal.

You mention "glock copies". My response to that is that Glock didn't invent the polymer frame, that one goes to H&K. Glock didn't invent the striker fired mechanism, that goes way back to the early 20th century. The Roth Steyr model 1907 was striker fired. Glock didn't invent the ejection port lockup, that goes way back to Sig, and Charles Petter. The low bore axis isn't unique to Glock, others before it, like the H&K P7 have a low bore axis (it's striker fired too), and there certainly is an outward resemblance the Glock has to the P7 too. Glock simply used previous design features in their pistols.

Glock may have been the first to use the ferritic nitrocarburizing (Tennifer, Melonite, also known by other names) process on firearms. They also were able to design a gun that was super cheap to manufacture, is of good quality, and reliable. One thing that Glock certainly did right was the marketing, that did more than anything to make it a successful gun.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 6:38 pm • # 23 

I'll never own a Sig...too many parts. Field strip it and need a schematic to make sure you have everything to put it back together.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:31 am • # 24 

Never had an issue with my P220, didn't seem any more complicated than any of my other weapons.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 1:51 pm • # 25 

And I may add for the umpteen time, the Glock model 30 is undebatable, one
Of the finest accurate .45 caliber sidearms ever to come off any production line ..
End of that story ..... ;) ;) ;)

Paul

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 6:44 pm • # 26 

I'll put up my Kahr CW40 against your Echo Carbon any day. If you are going with a fly rod as a ccw...at least get a fiberglass-it will sting the perps eyes when it breaks over their head.

Seriously now-I have the Echo Carbon in 2 weight and I have a TFO in 1 weight so I know this is not an apples to apples but I actually think the Echo Carbon is a little overrated. I am not too crazy about the reel seat. Admittedly I only very briefly cast the Echo but it did not leave me overly impressed. My TFO 1 weight does require a good bit of work for even medium distance but I like the feel of the rod-seems to balances pretty well with the little BPS ultralight reel.

As far as handguns-the Kimber guns seems to be quite nice but a little pricey. My Kahr was very reasonable but has since went up in price like all firearms. The Kahr is very concealable and so far no problems with performance but the capacity is limited to 7 rounds.

I am not a Glock fan either but I do know many folks are.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 12:13 pm • # 27 

I've been spending a bit of time with my Charter Arms Bulldog 44 Special lately. I'm glad I didn't sell it. It fits so snug in my fishing hip pack.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 4:13 pm • # 28 

Friends with the 1911 since 1968.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 4:32 pm • # 29 
Administrator

twisted tippet wrote:
Friends with the 1911 since 1968.

Love your guns. I had a Springfield WWII GI model for a bit, but sold it due to reliability issues. I shoot 1911's really well, probably better than any other pistol. I'll get another one someday.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 4:37 pm • # 30 

Nothing wrong with 1911s' hell I love mine :D

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 6:12 pm • # 31 

Gary is a great guy as is Steve, I have had several opportunities to talk with both of them. Steve taught me to double haul, great stick no doubt. I have 34 'loomis rods and love them all, six are fly rods. The latest was 8'8" GLC 3wt Whispercreek, Sweet doesn't begin to describe this rod.

Craig

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 6:10 pm • # 32 

In search of the perfect carry gun (for me) I've tried guns from most of the big makers that are under $1000. I have owned and shot Glocks, Sigs, Taurus, Smith, Walther, Ruger, CZ, various 1911's both single and double stack, Kahr, XD's... I keep falling back on the Glock 19 - and that is at this point only because there is not a Mid Size Smith & Wesson M&P 9mm. I absolutely love the way they feel and shoot for me, which in both aspects are noticeably better than I do with Glocks, despite thousands of rounds more through Glocks than M&P's. The full size M&P was just a tad too large for comfortable EDC for me (I drive a tow truck and I'm constantly bending, rolling around on the ground, squatting, or banging into things) and the Compact didn't have quite enough length for comfortable carry.

I switched up a few months back to appendix carry, vs. hip carry, because I found appendix carry is faster to access (especially with my off hand) and more comfortable over all. The issue with the subcompact guns, for me, is that they don't have enough barrel length to lever the butt of the gun back into my abdomen. The M&P9c is the best shooting subcompact I"ve ever owned / shot - better for me than the G26, better than the XD9sc, better than the Khars - simply because they fit my hand so much better - but I need more muzzle below the belt to offset the tippy-ness of the butt. The Glock 19 is the perfect size for this - it's like Goldilocks Gun - not too big, not too small - and thus is my chosen carry, until Smith answers my prayers and letters requesting a gun in between the full and compact guns.

I also have been a huge Glock fan because every one I've had has always gone Bang when I need it to. They're ugly enough I don't care about the looks. The finish is tough enough that I can get them wet without fearing they'll turn to a pile of rust before I can get home and clean & lube them. They are (or were, since Gen 4s have seen a big price jump) decently priced (got my latest Gen 3 19 for $475 nib from my local gun dealer). They are as thoughtless and utilitarian for me as a hammer. If I was concerned more about sexiness over function - I'd carry a two tone Browning Hi Power with exotic wood grips. But then I'd cry the first time a piece of gravel scratched it, or I denting the wood grip banging into the edge of the flatbed or something.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 6:38 pm • # 33 
Administrator

When I started this thread, I had the Glock 26, but a few months ago I sold it and bought a Smith & Wesson M&P9 Shield. I found out, for a third time over the years, that I hate Glocks (Sorry Carter, I can't hold back the dislike any longer).

The M&P Shield is pretty nice single stack 9mm, and much thinner than the Glock. It also has way better ergonomics than a Glock.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 12:58 pm • # 34 

Got a giggle from some of the replies. Guns are personal. I think Glocks are well made, accurate, reliable guns, but I hate 'em -- for me. If you like them you should be carrying them. But don't be offended that someone else doesn't like them. I've been toting 1911s for over 50 years, and I just can't adapt to the Glock's ergonomics. I even had one for a duty gun for awhile when I worked in a boat. At my age the eyes are going, and when I have to shoot fast at multiple targets I'm pointshooting; those sights get hard to find and follow with old eyes. My current duty gun is a Smith 1911 and the backup duty gun is a Colt 1911.

For those of you looking for good leather (or kydex), I'd like to suggest Tucker Custom Gunleather or Tucker and Byrd holsters; I use their products daily (I'm a working plainclothes cop) and have been for thirty years. They build some awesome holsters, and their kydex has leather bonded to the interior for enhanced retention, finish protection, and it deadens the loud snapping when drawing or holstering. I've Cerakoted some of my carry guns, and the leather doesn't wear out the finish so fast. I still use a pancake rig Tucker built for me in '84; the back of the holster is stained black from perspiration but it's still rigid and 100% functional.

Depending on the weather and my mood I carry a 5" 1911, a Detonics Combat Master, or a (don't laugh) J frame Smith with a bobbed hammer and custom stocks. I rely on the 1911s, but I love shooting wheelguns. When I worked patrol I often carried an N frame Smith, just for fun. Today, if I had to give up my 1911s (obviously hypothetical; that ain't happening), I'd probably go with an XDM or an M&P.

Carry what you have confidence in, not what someone else (however well-meaning their intentions) thinks you should carry. A slow hit trumps a fast miss every time you need to defend yourself or your loved ones.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 1:18 pm • # 35 

hipshot wrote:
Got a giggle from some of the replies. Guns are personal. I think Glocks are well made, accurate, reliable guns, but I hate 'em -- for me. If you like them you should be carrying them. But don't be offended that someone else doesn't like them. I've been toting 1911s for over 50 years, and I just can't adapt to the Glock's ergonomics. I even had one for a duty gun for awhile when I worked in a boat. At my age the eyes are going, and when I have to shoot fast at multiple targets I'm pointshooting; those sights get hard to find and follow with old eyes. My current duty gun is a Smith 1911 and the backup duty gun is a Colt 1911.

For those of you looking for good leather (or kydex), I'd like to suggest Tucker Custom Gunleather or Tucker and Byrd holsters; I use their products daily (I'm a working plainclothes cop) and have been for thirty years. They build some awesome holsters, and their kydex has leather bonded to the interior for enhanced retention, finish protection, and it deadens the loud snapping when drawing or holstering. I've Cerakoted some of my carry guns, and the leather doesn't wear out the finish so fast. I still use a pancake rig Tucker built for me in '84; the back of the holster is stained black from perspiration but it's still rigid and 100% functional.

Depending on the weather and my mood I carry a 5" 1911, a Detonics Combat Master, or a (don't laugh) J frame Smith with a bobbed hammer and custom stocks. I rely on the 1911s, but I love shooting wheelguns. When I worked patrol I often carried an N frame Smith, just for fun. Today, if I had to give up my 1911s (obviously hypothetical; that ain't happening), I'd probably go with an XDM or an M&P.

Carry what you have confidence in, not what someone else (however well-meaning their intentions) thinks you should carry. A slow hit trumps a fast miss every time you need to defend yourself or your loved ones.

Quoted for truth!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:25 am • # 36 

Location: Lorain, Ohio but can be found in fishing waters of West by God West Virginia and southern Ohio.
My LGS has the Ruger LCR in stock if you still looking for one.
I dislike the block mini guns as they don't fit my hands well as the larger frames.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 4:56 pm • # 37 
Administrator

Phish wrote:
My LGS has the Ruger LCR in stock if you still looking for one.
I dislike the block mini guns as they don't fit my hands well as the larger frames.

As much as I hate to admit it, I think I'm going to be in the market for a Ruger LCP here soon. Buying the gun is a non-issue, same for the LCR it's also readily available locally, but finding .380 ammo is a chore right now.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 5:49 pm • # 38 

I have a CCW permit.

But, I have no guns.

That's my story and I'm sticking with it if anyone should ask.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 6:01 pm • # 39 

Buy a S&W double action J frame in .38 Special concealed hammer model so the hammer won't catch on your clothes. I carry mine loaded with +P ammo in my pants pocket where it's easy to reach and pull with my shooting hand.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 7:59 pm • # 40 

I actually have 2 different ones I carry. A Mauser HSc in .380 and a 9mm Makarov.

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next   Page 2 of 5   [ 83 posts ] New Topic Add Reply