It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:26 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 8 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: Eating buck
PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 7:40 pm • # 1 

Well, been awhile since I posted. Been pretty busy....home projects and work. I was lucky and barely missed getting furloughed from work due to Gov't shut down....but they threatened to do so. It was a close call.

Anyway, I really haven't fished much. Kind of more or less got into some ATV riding and some hunting. Taking a break from fishing. I plan on some winter midging so I will post some reports through November.

I got a small Whiletail buck. I wanted some jerkey meat and this buck was perfect. I shot it with my Wife's Browning BLR 308. Something sexy about hunting with my wife's rifle. When we lived in Nebraska, we shot a lot of game with that 308.

I jumped the little buck while still hunting some ceders that was about half a mile from the river bottoms. I missed the buck clean on the first shot as he ran through the sage brush. He stopped (which is weird) out about 150 yards and looked back. All I could see was along his back. I spined him, a bit far back but down he went. 308 is a great hunting round and the Browning BLR is great. It is as handy as a Winchester 30-30 and the Leupold 4X scope is bright and clear, making it a good long range rifle too when needed.

Post subject: Re: Eating buck
PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 11:12 am • # 2 
Administrator

That's a nice eater there. The browning blr in 308 is my uncles favorite deer rifle. Sadly, I've never shot it, but it is a nice rifle.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 2:36 am • # 3 

blu is jealous and wanting a lever .308.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 12:28 pm • # 4 

I've killed about 90% of my deer with an old NATO mauser 308 I rebuilt into a sporter; great gun-p-

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 1:17 pm • # 5 

308 plants game. I killed my first elk with a pre 64 Winchester m88 308 topped with an El Paso made Weaver 3x scope and DOT reticle. The elk was over 300 yards and trotting. One shot. She went about 20 yards and fell over dead. The bullet went through both lungs.

In fact, this buck was killed with the same batch of handloads I used to kill the elk, even though that was back on 2001. In fact, I think I loaded that ammo back in the 90's when I lived in Nebraska. It is a 150gr Hornady Spire Point over a medium charge of H4895. I loaded up a couple hundred rounds for my wife. The velocity is around 2700fps....roughly equal to a 300 Savage. Recoil is very mild. I have never recovered a bulled in any game, including the elk. All broadside hits gave through and through penetration with an exit hole about 2" in dia.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 1:29 pm • # 6 

I just shot my first elk with a pre64 M70 in .270 and experienced the same thing. Shot clean through both lungs exiting w a 2" dia hole. Anyone who says a .270 isn't enough round for an elk should see have seen the hole I put in mine. He made it about 15 yards.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 5:41 pm • # 7 

quick 308 hunting story
west texas; December 31(last day to hunt) 0 degrees at daylight. I was gunning for a 10 pointer. Always wanted to kill a 10 point deer; catch a 10 pound bass.
Deer walks out of the mesquite about 140 yards away. I glassed it; counted 11 points; this is my deer. Waited,.....waited,........ it moved down to about 100 yards, turned broadside; Pow! 308..... dead deer!.......Oops! maybe not! It gets up and runs for the mesquite. I wait about 30 minutes because I knew I had a good hit. I follow the blood trail about 25 years into the bush. There it lay, but its head was flat on the ground!
Was the horns buried in the ground?
I ease up, punch the deer; its dead. I reach down, grab the horn sticking up and bend his head back; NO HORNS ON THE OTHER SIDE!!!!!!! What????
I know I counted 11 points
(well, long story short; deer had ran into the mesquite and hit a limb which knocked off the horn as it was dec 31; almost time to shed anyway.) Taxidermist had no problem putting it back on. I mounted it; right alongside my 10 lb bass but for a few seconds I almost had a heart attack!!!!-p-

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 7:50 pm • # 8 

pearow wrote:
quick 308 hunting story
west texas; December 31(last day to hunt) 0 degrees at daylight. I was gunning for a 10 pointer. Always wanted to kill a 10 point deer; catch a 10 pound bass.
Deer walks out of the mesquite about 140 yards away. I glassed it; counted 11 points; this is my deer. Waited,.....waited,........ it moved down to about 100 yards, turned broadside; Pow! 308..... dead deer!.......Oops! maybe not! It gets up and runs for the mesquite. I wait about 30 minutes because I knew I had a good hit. I follow the blood trail about 25 years into the bush. There it lay, but its head was flat on the ground!
Was the horns buried in the ground?
I ease up, punch the deer; its dead. I reach down, grab the horn sticking up and bend his head back; NO HORNS ON THE OTHER SIDE!!!!!!! What????
I know I counted 11 points
(well, long story short; deer had ran into the mesquite and hit a limb which knocked off the horn as it was dec 31; almost time to shed anyway.) Taxidermist had no problem putting it back on. I mounted it; right alongside my 10 lb bass but for a few seconds I almost had a heart attack!!!!-p-

Great story. I am always suspicious of game that falls in it's tracks. Sometimes they get up and run off. Sometimes I like to see an animal stagger around, then fall over. I pretty much know it is likely dead.

My deer, I knew I spined as that is all I could see over the brush.

I always wonder at what point in the US do they begin to count both sides of the antlers to come up with number of points. IN Nebraska, like Idaho, (and much of the west) we still count one side....4 point or 5 point or 6 point...or perhaps "4x5" or "3x4" if applicable. Not that it matters, just curious.

Page 1 of 1   [ 8 posts ] New Topic Add Reply