It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:08 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Go to page 1, 2  Next   Page 1 of 2   [ 25 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 8:59 pm • # 1 

Do any of my fellow UL Fly members do any Upland hunting or Rabbit hunting? Looking for your advice on a shotgun. Currently looking at a Savage 512 O/U shotgun. Not sure what caliber to go with and I will be hunting (Like previously stated) along with shooting trap/skeet. I would like to hear your thoughts, Thanks in advance.
Blake...

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:03 am • # 2 
Administrator

What ever make and model you choose, make it a 12 gauge. The 12 has a much wider variety of loads available for maximum versatility.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:12 am • # 3 
Administrator

If you like o/u I would definitely go with a gun with a pistol grip despite some folks who prefer slick ( English style stocks). As
for gauge I think a 20 guage will handle all your small game needs.
Brands to consider
Savage 512 (good price thru Cabelas)
Be sure and read reviews
http://www.cabelas.com/product/Savage17 ... RRWidgetID
Winchester 101 ( one of my favorites )
Beretta (higher priced models)
Ruger red label (solid gun)

Good luck

Les

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:59 pm • # 4 

I shot registered trap for a number of years. I think a 12ga is the most appropriate cartridge for that activity. For hunting, unless you have webfoot fowl on the list, a 20 is more than enough.....just depends on how much weight you want to pack around. Back in my birding days when I lived in Nebraska and had a fine shorthair, I carried a Weatherby Orion 12 ga. It served it's purpose very well and fell many birds. I felt it was too much gun for bobwhites...way too much gun. It was useful on late season roosters however. It's hard to find a good all purpose shotgun. I no longer have that gun.

IF I were to put together another bird gun, it would be a 20......or I might be go weird and find a 16. I would like to look into a two barreled gun, but the ones I would be interested in just cost too much. I guess my next shotgun will be a semi auto, likely a Remington in a 20 ga.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 4:36 pm • # 5 

I would agree 100% with those that state a 12 gauge is the way to go-much more versatile and over/under is a great choice. I have an old Beretta 686 and I love it.

philos

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 10:25 pm • # 6 
Administrator

Back in my grouse hunting days I always used my Winchester model 12 in 16 gauge. I chose the 16ga because I like to be different. I haven't hunted with the Winchester in a number of years now, it just sits in the safe.

Now I just use my Mossberg 500 in 12 gauge, it's my "do it all" shotgun. Most of the time it wears an 18.5" barrel and loaded with good quality 00 buckshot for home defense duty. When I go hunting, I just swap the riot barrel for the 28" barrel.

If I was in the market for a new shotgun, I would probably get one of the Beretta semi-auto's. Double guns are nice, but the ones that I would like to own are well out of my price range.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 10:33 am • # 7 

O/U ?

Browning Citori

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 5:20 pm • # 8 

I use a Browning Citori O/U in 20 gauge for all of my upland bird hunting. With the three inch chamber and choke tubes it can be set up for nearly everything I care to shoot, from quail to turkey. Plus it weighs significantly less than a comparable 12 gauge gun and thus it is easier to carry all day. I only use a 12 Gauge gun for waterfowl.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 9:30 pm • # 9 

Thanks for all your opinions, I'm leaning more towards a 20 gauge. Also does anyone have any experience with CZ firearms. They make some very nice O/U at a fair price. I'll have to go to the local gun shop and check them out!
Blake.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 9:17 am • # 10 

Have you considered a .22 magnum/20 ga. ?
Brent

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 11:38 pm • # 11 

wheezeburnt wrote:
Brent

Yes, I will most likely get a 20 gauge.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 11:52 pm • # 12 

Remington 28 ga.....fun shotgun...adds challenge..:)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 7:09 pm • # 13 
Administrator

The 28 is a true connoisseurs gun.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 7:24 pm • # 14 

Curmudgeon52 wrote:
Remington 28 ga.....fun shotgun...adds challenge..:)

Until you need to buy ammo, Kaching. When you stay with either a 12 or 20 the ammo is both more readily available and better priced. Key to buying a shotgun is, what are you going to use it for most often and what type of shotgun best fits that use. Then you can look at what gun in that category will work best for you.

Asking what shotgun you should buy is like asking what car you should buy. Many varied opinions based on personal experiences, none bad, but in the end you have to make a decision on what fits your needs best.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 9:57 pm • # 15 

FeatherFly wrote:
wheezeburnt wrote:
Brent

Sorry, that wasn't very clear. I meant a combo .22/20 ga over and under....

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 12:14 am • # 16 

wheezeburnt wrote:
FeatherFly wrote:
wheezeburnt wrote:
Brent

Sorry, that wasn't very clear. I meant a combo .22/20 ga over and under....

No, I don't think I will. I'm hoping Gander Mountain will have the CZ O/U Mallard 20 gauge or the Deluxe Redhead in a 20 gauge as well.(I will not buy from them, a local shop has CZ guns as well plus they give a 10% discount to NRA members. I'm a lifetime member, anyone else?) I'd like to test the weight and how well it fits to me. If not my dad could make a new stock for me. He has a CNC machine in the garage and numerous other wood working tools. (Off topic, here's a website of his stuff http://spurgeonswoodworking.blogspot.com/ )

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 6:58 am • # 17 

Nice!!!!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 8:12 am • # 18 

Joe was right on when he said choosing a shotgun should depend entirely on what you want to do with it. Upland guns are carried a lot more than they're shot, a 20g is always lighter than a 12. Carrying 12 20g shells around is easier than 12 12s as well. 16g ammo is limited, all I see is 4, 6 and 7.5. 28g is a expert's gun. Like a single shot rifle, you should be good with it.

Double barrels guns are great, generally shorter and can be rendered reasonable safe by opening the action. A bonus if hunting around dogs. They are a pain to un/reload in a layout blind, sitting on the ground or in a boat hunting waterfowl though. Difficult to keep clean too, especially if you hunt a lot of waterfowl in the filthy places I just mentioned.

CZ-USA guns are a great buy. Two guys I hunt with have a Canvasback in 12 and a Bobwhite in 16. Comes with 5 chokes(16's chokes are fixed), decent wood and the fit is super. The Canvasback isn't blued, its a blackchrome, I wonder how it will hold up. This guy uses it for everything from woodcock to Canadas though, shown it no mercy and it still looks good.

Last edited by Schuey on Sat Dec 21, 2013 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 4:44 pm • # 19 

Schuey wrote:
CZ-USA guns are a great buy. Two guys I hunt with have a Canvasback in 12 and a Bobwhite in 16. Comes with 5 chokes(16's chokes are fixed), decent wood and the fit is super. The Canvasback isn't blued, its a blackchrome, I wonder how it will hold up. This guys uses it for everything from woodcock to Canadas though, shown it no mercy and it still looks good.

Very cool! If you ever get a chance check out the CZ Ultra Light, it's a 12 gauge and it's so light. I couldn't believe the weight when I held it yesterday. I also held the RedHead Deluxe in a 20 ga. Slightly heavy, but boy did it sure fit me well and I love the bead at the top of the rib/barrel. I'm talking to my parents about this for Christmas! Although I'll have to pay majority of it, good thing I have a job. :lol

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 5:35 pm • # 20 
Administrator

Hi Featherlight,
Just to add one more thought- go a little heavier. Let me explain my thoughts. In my past experience I have handled all sorts of shotguns- pumps, autos, singleshots and Over&unders- all were average weight nothing too heavy, but well balanced. At one time, I possessed a Winchester 101 pigeon grade straight stock 12 guage which was considered very light. This gun while easy to carry in the field yet lacked the pistol grip for face-on accuracy, and it tended to dance around when I would acquire a bird. IMO, this gun's swing weight was too light. In other heavier guns, the will be swing more constant and smooth.

I did look at the CZ fire arms on-line and these look nice well apportioned firearms. And the retail price $750 was fair for an O/U. If it were me I'd look for someone I knew who owned one to see how it felt or maybe let me shoot it.

Les

Go to page 1, 2  Next   Page 1 of 2   [ 25 posts ] New Topic Add Reply