It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:24 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 10 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 1:11 pm • # 1 

I found out this week that I drew on an antlerless moose tag for a local area near my home. Moose tags are once in a lifetime for a cow moose and once in a lifetime for bull, which means I can still draw for a trophy bull sometime.

I fly fish along this stretch of river all the time an constantly run into moose...(or they run into me...however it works out). This is a short range weapon area which means shotgun/slug, muzzleloader, archery or handgun with typical handgun rounds (ie: no contenders with a barrel that shoots rifle rounds).

I have all summer to decide. I am leaning towards using my old Spanish Imported knock off 50 cal hawkin. It shoots Speer Maxi Balls over 777 real good. I have yet to take game with it and it would be fun to use it. It sits on the wall in my front room just under a photo of the Tetons I took.

My next choice would be my old Ruger SA 45 Colt with a heavy cast bullet. I don't own a bow right now and while I have killed deer with a shotgun/slug before, it is not what I want to hunt with.

A handgun makes sense as I can put it on my hip and do some fly fishing too. Moose seem to always come up to me and say 'hi' when I have a fly rod in my hands.

The big key is to shoot it as close to where I can get my ATV or pick up as I can. It will still be a family effort to pack it out when I get one down. Lots of good meat later. Can't wait.

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 9:39 pm • # 2 

Wow! Wish I could be so lucky. Good luck with whatever weapon you choose. I shoot archery and me personally,that would be my choice.

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 10:11 pm • # 3 
Administrator

Congrats on the tag. Where the heck have you been? Haven't seen you on here for awhile.

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 10:59 pm • # 4 

jkurtz7 wrote:
Congrats on the tag. Where the heck have you been? Haven't seen you on here for awhile.

Just been busy with work and spring/summer projects. I haven't even been fishing in over a month. My wife and I really got into cross country skiing and snowshoeing this past winter. Now we have been doing a lot of day hikes in the woods for exercise, bird watching and I get to carry a CCW handgun too which I like to do. I bought a second Glock (I know you don't like them), this one a m32 Gen 4 in 357 Sig. I carry it a lot unless I am in Grizzly country.

AS for fishing, I just kinda put it aside for the moment. I bought an Osprey 48 Liter daypack/light overnight pack. I plan on some late summer hikes up some eastern Idaho canyons...and of course a fly rod is going with me.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 10:16 am • # 5 

Congrats on the moose tag, my vote would be for the Ruger Blackhawk...I believe more then enough gun for a moose with a good cast swc bullet. Anyway enjoy and keep us posted

The Gill Guy

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 11:12 am • # 6 
Administrator

I vote Blackhawk too, I love those things.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 1:59 pm • # 7 

Congrats........Count me +1 on the Blackhawk........Don in SC

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 11:02 pm • # 8 

Ya I vote for the Blachhawk too with a good heavy cast bullet in the 350gr range. I have one in 5 1/2" and I love it. A good heavy bullet would probably would pass though him.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 2:35 am • # 9 

So did you get the moose?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 12:39 pm • # 10 

No, didn't bag a moose, but I did bag good memories.

Page 1 of 1   [ 10 posts ] New Topic Add Reply