It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:09 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Go to page Previous  1, 2   Page 2 of 2   [ 29 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: Re: New forum
PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:21 pm • # 21 

PampasPete, UL no matter what the equipment provides the most excitement I think. The delicate features of the equipment contrasted with the explosive response from the fish is an addicting experience.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:45 am • # 22 

I fish ul spin, especially to find deep water fish on the east texas lakes. After I find them I fish ul fly unless theyre too deep. We have brim here in east Texas that bed in 26 feet of water; maybe more but thats as deep as I've found them. Difficult to get a fly 26 feet deep. I use the little cheap closed face underspins from zebco. Because of the closed face you can cast them on a fly rod with a small stripper guide as the line goes thru very easily with the closed face zebco 11's-p-

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:25 pm • # 23 

Thanks for new UL Spinning section.
I occasionally use this gear when out with friends who do not fly fish,, great fun with small hand tied jigs.

Regards,
FK

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:59 am • # 24 

pearow wrote:
I fish ul spin, especially to find deep water fish on the east texas lakes. After I find them I fish ul fly unless theyre too deep. We have brim here in east Texas that bed in 26 feet of water; maybe more but thats as deep as I've found them. Difficult to get a fly 26 feet deep. I use the little cheap closed face underspins from zebco. Because of the closed face you can cast them on a fly rod with a small stripper guide as the line goes thru very easily with the closed face zebco 11's-p-

Yeah, Gene, and you use LIVE worms on your hooks instead of the dead crickets I use on mine. You are a murderer with no compassion for those poor, wriggly worms. For shame!! I'm going to report you to PETA!! (I'll let you off the hook if you give me the bream you catch on those worms.)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:52 am • # 25 

hipshot wrote:
Well, I don't really do any UL spinning any more; when I was guiding on fresh water I did a lot of light tackle fishing. I used 6 - 7 foot light action rods and 6 or 8 lb. line on small spinning reels. This was mostly used for crappie fishing; where I guided I would book four or five crappie trips for every bass trip. I mostly fish salt now (and I don't guide any more), and I pretty much always fly fish. But when the bride was alive she used level winds in fresh water (bass fishing) and UL spinning (4 lb. test) gear for crappies and small bass. In the salt she liked to use spinning gear, so she used 6 1/2 and 7 foot light action rods, small reels (500 or 750), and 10 lb. braid. I often used a similar rig when I fished off the bank with her (she wouldn't get in a kayak) when fly fishing wasn't viable. Interestingly enough, a lot of people on the Texas coast consider that to be UL, and believe it's incapable of landing a redfish (chuckle). We caught a lot of reds on those rigs, and neither of us has ever been spooled yet. As a kid in south Florida I often used a Mitchell 308 with 4# mono (and on very rare occasions, 2) for saltwater fish. Caught several bonefish with it.......

What I have learned from my light spinning forays is that I MUCH prefer a 6 1/2 or 7 foot rod over the 5 footers we used to be saddled with. On a tight small stream the short rod might be necessary, but in most of the places I fish the longer rod serves me much better. I have also found that braided line (in fresh water I preferred Berkley Fireline, but I prefer Sufix 832, Power Pro -- especially the Slick 8, or FINS Windtamer in the salt) works much better than monofilament line, or fluorocarbon and copolymer lines, on spinning reels. Especially the smaller reels with their tiny spools. The braid doesn't hold memory coils like monofilament, and is less susceptible to wind knots (the spinning version; think monumental backlash here) than the monofilament.

I actually still use the light spinning rigs when the white bass run is on. I tie on a chartreuse Roadrunner and prospect for whites up and down the river or creek. Once I find a concentration of fish, the sissy stick gets put up and the fly rods come out.

This is my opinion only, but I believe that if one uses a tiny reel, an ultralight rod, and heavier than ultralight braided line (say, for the sake of argument, 6 or 8 lb. test), that one is arguably still UL spinning. Down here in Texas it's rare to find braid lighter than (or even as light as) 8 lb. test, but the diameter on that stuff is comparable to 2 lb. test monofilament. Anyway, that's my take on the topic. My opinion and eight dollars will get you a cup of coffee in any Starbucks in Texas...... And since there seems to be some confusion about just what constitutes UL spinning tackle, I believe that with monofilament line, 4 lb. test and below is the UL threshhold. What say the rest of you?

I agree, I've always thought UL spinning was 4lb test mono (and below) with a diminutive rod/reel. The rods and reels were labelled as such. It was obvious when looking at the equipment.
I think the UL definition is more debatable with fly rods than with spinning because fly fishing offers more options for fly line set ups to a particular rod; I personally feel I violate
UL fly fishing with some of my set ups.
Regardless of our personal opinions, in order to communicate we have to follow a set of rules as defined by the forums administrators (who we owe a large debt of gratitude for their sacrifices in making this forum available).

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:09 am • # 26 

JimRed wrote:
I started UL open face spin fishing in the very early 60's. Used a Mitchell 308 with 4lb test line and about a 4ft rod in the winter and
my fly rod with poppers in the summer. Tried 2lb test mono once but those big bream would break it on a strike. I converted the 308
to a manual pick up to save money on bails. The manual pick up gives an advantage too because there is no flipping the bail noise.

I've also mounted bait casting reels on UL spinning rods and fished those with a manual retrieve; manual retrieve meaning there
is no level wind mechanism; the level wind is provided manually. Using a manual retrieve allows more distance and saves money
on replacing the level wind mechanism. Doing the level wind manually is like shifting a car, you don't even have to think about it.

Now, I am committed to fly fishing only because .... well that's what I want to do as I play out my last years.

Glad to hear of this new forum, it will be interesting to see the equipment and experiences.

Oh, I want to add that the most deadly technique for catching fish on an UL spinning I experience was holding the index finger down such
that the line would hit the finger on the retrieve, once every rotation of the spool. This gives a real wiggle to a jig.

Recalled an advantage to fishing a manual pick up I forgot to mention. With a manual pick up I've never, never, never experienced line twists
(and I've fished more than a life time using this technique). As I understand it, the bail is the culprit in line twist and the bail is eliminated in
using a manual pick up.
Next time a bail wears out on your spinning reel, rather than throwing it away, hacksaw the bail off leaving the pickup portion attached to the reel
and maybe the other end with screw attached to the body (sometimes the attaching end of the bail is needed to maintain the reel structure). When
you cast your index finger is in position for pickup (and sometimes used to feather the line during the cast for accuracy); it's a natural movement then at the end
of the cast to pickup the line with the index finger; as the housing is rotated the line will automatically be placed on the pickup.
Nothing to learn to use this technique, it will come natural...trust me.... and the UL spinning fishing experience will be enhanced to a level approaching
the ecstasy of fly fishing.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 1:40 pm • # 27 

Been a while since I saw a reel with a manual pickup. I do stop the line with my finger and manually close the bail; that eliminates a lot of the twist problems. Using braid or Fireline in lieu of monofilament has helped tremendously also. One thing that helps is to troll a bare line behind the boat for a distance and slowly reel in with the rod tip submerged; the water combs the twist out of the line and puts tension on it. I rarely have to do that with braid, but did it often with mono or fluorocarbon. I might add also, if you are new to braid you really need to get it on the spool tightly, or you will have line digging in when a fish pulls drag and will have big wads come off the spool when casting. And a wrap of tape under the braid, or a few turns of monofilament, will keep the braid from slipping on the spool.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 3:54 pm • # 28 

Oh, hey, wow! UL Spinning!! Yay! Fishing is fishing!

I was a spin fisherman from when I was 5, fishing with my grandfather (who got me into the sport, and detangled all my backlash birdnests - I still shy away from baitcasters)), up until I was 18, when my BFF introduced me to FF'g. Took my first FF class from Joe Robinson at the Austin Angler. Diehard ever since. I only recently returned to spin fishing so that I could get my wife involved. (That's not true - I spin fish in the salt when it's too dang windy to FF.) Just ordered some Stroft 7x to re-spool my St Croix UL rod.

Now, after picking up euro-nymphing with a 9m french leader, it reminds me a fair bit of spin casting, without the reel. I'll bring in my rig short, strip and pile a bunch of leader at my feet, pinched between my index finger and cork, load up the rod, release the index finger, and launch! Gather leader by hand as current returns rig to you.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:44 pm • # 29 

Been away for awhile ( fishing UL :) ) . Letting my worn out tennis elbows heal a little .
Got out one of my flyrods today ,dusted it off and caught a small bluegill to keep the skunk off . Even though I haven't used one in a while . I alway keep one in the truck .
Decided I'd check in and see what's going on here on UL FF and WOW ! I can't believe it happened . Finally an UL Spinning section .
I have close to 80 UL spinning rods from 4'6" to 7'6" . Even have a 9' light action I consider an UL using 2# line and micro jigs . From shore , using a foam weighted float , I can get long casts out of that nine footer .
Still own several flyrods with most under 4 wt. and less than 7' .
I've managed to land some nice fish on my UL spinning rods . I mainly use 2# and 4# line .
Fishing is Fishing , and UL spinning comes in handy when the arthritus or tennis elbow is acting up .
Thanks for adding the new section . Gillchaser

Go to page Previous  1, 2   Page 2 of 2   [ 29 posts ] New Topic Add Reply