It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:09 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Go to page 1, 2  Next   Page 1 of 2   [ 29 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: New forum
PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 12:42 pm • # 1 
Administrator

Hello everyone, its been a long time since I've posted anything, guess it was time for me to say something. In the past I've been asked to add a UL Spinning forum but I've always said no. Well its here now.

I've fly fished exclusively for 20 years, but as of last year that has changed. I now have a couple UL spinning rods, and even have a tenkara rod, as well as a Keiryu rod.
It was time for a change in my fishing and my attitude in regards to tackle and fishing styles. I'm no longer a fly fishing purist, and I feel that fishing is fishing, no matter the method or tackle used.

I hope some of you will enjoy this new forum, and for those who do not use spinning gear I will ask that you be respectful of those that do.

Good fishing!

Jeremy

Post subject: Re: New forum
PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 3:50 pm • # 2 

Jeremy: This is great! I admit to not having a whole lot to contribute to the new forum, but I believe that is a very good thing you're doing here. We've all seen the 'evolution of the fisherman' stuff that goes through all these stages that imply that fly fishing is a more 'evolved' method, and the culmination is the dry fly fisherman who will only cast upstream to a rising fish, with a fly matching the current hatch, and releases the fish, and wears tweed, and on and on. At the end of the day, the fact is, as you noted, 'fishing is fishing'.

I strongly support any effort spent focusing upon what we have in common instead of what sets us apart. One tends to be elitist; the other inclusive.
brent

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:55 pm • # 3 

When I do spincast it's almost always ultralight, so I guess this is a good thing, though something in my gut doesn't agree. Not sure why. Either way, thanks for adding a new forum.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:42 pm • # 4 

I am by no means ul fly purist. I have more heavier fly rods that I use more than my ul, since moving back to Texas. A Tenkara rod that I use quite often when the winds permit. I also have a medium action spinning rod, a ul spinning rod, and my wife and daughters have ul spinning no rods. The spinning rods just haven't been used in years, guess now that we have a place to post I'll stip the old mono off and put fresh on and see what I can do.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:00 pm • # 5 

I started UL open face spin fishing in the very early 60's. Used a Mitchell 308 with 4lb test line and about a 4ft rod in the winter and
my fly rod with poppers in the summer. Tried 2lb test mono once but those big bream would break it on a strike. I converted the 308
to a manual pick up to save money on bails. The manual pick up gives an advantage too because there is no flipping the bail noise.

I've also mounted bait casting reels on UL spinning rods and fished those with a manual retrieve; manual retrieve meaning there
is no level wind mechanism; the level wind is provided manually. Using a manual retrieve allows more distance and saves money
on replacing the level wind mechanism. Doing the level wind manually is like shifting a car, you don't even have to think about it.

Now, I am committed to fly fishing only because .... well that's what I want to do as I play out my last years.

Glad to hear of this new forum, it will be interesting to see the equipment and experiences.

Oh, I want to add that the most deadly technique for catching fish on an UL spinning I experience was holding the index finger down such
that the line would hit the finger on the retrieve, once every rotation of the spool. This gives a real wiggle to a jig.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:45 pm • # 6 

Jeremy, I am appalled!!! For shame!!! You are no longer a purist!! How terrible!! Um, is it ok if I post on here when I use my 3-wt fly rod rod & spinning reel rigged with minnows for crappie fishing & crickets for bream fishing???? :lol :lol :lol

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:43 pm • # 7 

i dabble with ul's from time to time plenty of ul rods on the market but still waiting on a holy grail reel ............

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:28 am • # 8 
Administrator

Brent, thanks for the support!

Cliff, What ever floats your boat.

Andy, the holy grail does exist. The best reels (and rods too, more on that later) are from the Japanese domestic market, think daiwa and shimano.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:30 am • # 9 

Cliff:
When I posted this: "...the culmination is the dry fly fisherman who will only cast upstream to a rising fish, with a fly matching the current hatch, and releases the fish, and wears tweed..." I was picturing you in my head (which is something I kind of try to avoid). When I look up 'purist fly fisherman' on Google, I just get page after page of references to you. :lol

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:56 pm • # 10 

As some of you with grandchildren may know, fly fishing becomes impossible with three youngsters following you around and slinging worms. So out comes the UL rod. I've been dying to post this picture of grand kids along with a 34" channel cat caught on an UL rod with 4 lb test and 1/16 oz tube jig. And now I can. :lol

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 4:17 pm • # 11 

jkurtz7 wrote:

Andy, the holy grail does exist. The best reels (and rods too, more on that later) are from the Japanese domestic market, think daiwa and shimano.

Shimano 500 series J ? i own them.. i also own the little Pflueger how you been dude ?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 5:57 pm • # 12 
Administrator

tinknocker1 wrote:
jkurtz7 wrote:

Shimano 500 series J ? i own them.. i also own the little Pflueger how you been dude ?

Andy, I'm doing okay, somewhat anyway. Been off work for a month, I had hernia surgery so I've been healing up, but I'll be back to work next week.

I have a Pflueger president size 20 which is the same size as the Shimano/Daiwa 500. I think the President reels are the best bang for the Buck on the market. I won't buy a reel of any make in that size anymore because the small spools hinder casting distance. I'll only buy the size 25 (Pflueger) or 1000 size. The slightly larger spool really does make a difference.

The reels made for the Japanese market are in some cases different than what is sold in the US. I would say they are better quality overall.

How have you been?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 5:58 pm • # 13 
Administrator

Free2Fish wrote:
As some of you with grandchildren may know, fly fishing becomes impossible with three youngsters following you around and slinging worms. So out comes the UL rod. I've been dying to post this picture of grand kids along with a 34" channel cat caught on an UL rod with 4 lb test and 1/16 oz tube jig. And now I can. :lol

That right there is what its all about.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 6:27 pm • # 14 

Free2Fish, that is one heck of a cat on UL spinning gear!!

Brent, It's good to know that someone appreciates my "most purist" title.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 6:43 pm • # 15 

wheezeburnt wrote:
Cliff:
When I posted this: "...the culmination is the dry fly fisherman who will only cast upstream to a rising fish, with a fly matching the current hatch, and releases the fish, and wears tweed..." I was picturing you in my head (which is something I kind of try to avoid). When I look up 'purist fly fisherman' on Google, I just get page after page of references to you. :lol

You could not be further from the truth, Cliff's only saving grace is the fact that he owns a few fly rods. Purist, no. He does out fish most, how he does it is sometime questionable.
:lol

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 6:53 pm • # 16 

jkurtz7 wrote:
tinknocker1 wrote:
jkurtz7 wrote:

Andy, I'm doing okay, somewhat anyway. Been off work for a month, I had hernia surgery so I've been healing up, but I'll be back to work next week.

I have a Pflueger president size 20 which is the same size as the Shimano/Daiwa 500. I think the President reels are the best bang for the Buck on the market. I won't buy rr reel of any make in that size anymore because the small spools hinder casting distance. I'll only buy the size 25 (Pflueger) or 1000 size. The slightly largest spool really does make a difference.

The reels made for the Japanese market are in some cases different than what is sold in the US. I would say they are better quality overall.

How have you been?

im doing ok J
i have the Pres. 6720 it's a ok reel but it don't like 20 degree mornings may have try some other grease it gets a little stiff ..."that will be another topic also"

i also have the Prez in the 25 and Shimano Stradics in 1000 all super reels are we calling the the 1000 ul here also ? not splitting hairs because some do call them ul and im cool with that

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:39 pm • # 17 

Well, I don't really do any UL spinning any more; when I was guiding on fresh water I did a lot of light tackle fishing. I used 6 - 7 foot light action rods and 6 or 8 lb. line on small spinning reels. This was mostly used for crappie fishing; where I guided I would book four or five crappie trips for every bass trip. I mostly fish salt now (and I don't guide any more), and I pretty much always fly fish. But when the bride was alive she used level winds in fresh water (bass fishing) and UL spinning (4 lb. test) gear for crappies and small bass. In the salt she liked to use spinning gear, so she used 6 1/2 and 7 foot light action rods, small reels (500 or 750), and 10 lb. braid. I often used a similar rig when I fished off the bank with her (she wouldn't get in a kayak) when fly fishing wasn't viable. Interestingly enough, a lot of people on the Texas coast consider that to be UL, and believe it's incapable of landing a redfish (chuckle). We caught a lot of reds on those rigs, and neither of us has ever been spooled yet. As a kid in south Florida I often used a Mitchell 308 with 4# mono (and on very rare occasions, 2) for saltwater fish. Caught several bonefish with it.......

What I have learned from my light spinning forays is that I MUCH prefer a 6 1/2 or 7 foot rod over the 5 footers we used to be saddled with. On a tight small stream the short rod might be necessary, but in most of the places I fish the longer rod serves me much better. I have also found that braided line (in fresh water I preferred Berkley Fireline, but I prefer Sufix 832, Power Pro -- especially the Slick 8, or FINS Windtamer in the salt) works much better than monofilament line, or fluorocarbon and copolymer lines, on spinning reels. Especially the smaller reels with their tiny spools. The braid doesn't hold memory coils like monofilament, and is less susceptible to wind knots (the spinning version; think monumental backlash here) than the monofilament.

I actually still use the light spinning rigs when the white bass run is on. I tie on a chartreuse Roadrunner and prospect for whites up and down the river or creek. Once I find a concentration of fish, the sissy stick gets put up and the fly rods come out.

This is my opinion only, but I believe that if one uses a tiny reel, an ultralight rod, and heavier than ultralight braided line (say, for the sake of argument, 6 or 8 lb. test), that one is arguably still UL spinning. Down here in Texas it's rare to find braid lighter than (or even as light as) 8 lb. test, but the diameter on that stuff is comparable to 2 lb. test monofilament. Anyway, that's my take on the topic. My opinion and eight dollars will get you a cup of coffee in any Starbucks in Texas...... And since there seems to be some confusion about just what constitutes UL spinning tackle, I believe that with monofilament line, 4 lb. test and below is the UL threshhold. What say the rest of you?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:25 am • # 18 

I think this is awesome. I truly despise the inclination to wall off folks in fishing ghettos (I mean that in a historical sense). I'm happy to see anyone fish any old way as long as he or she is doing it responsibly and treating the resources with respect.

I have ultralight spinning tackle, baitcasters, fly rods 1 wt-8 wt., a speargun, a couple of flounder gigs and a castnet. I use each of those tools as the situation warrants. I'm totally immersed in ultralight fly fishing right now, and have so far to go in mastering it that I don't see that changing anytime soon. But I'm not getting rid of the other stuff!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 7:55 am • # 19 

hipshot wrote:
What say the rest of you?

I like the short UL rods, say about 5 feet the best. But I'll admit I've never tried a 7 foot rod and may like it.

As to line, I tried braid (can't remember the weight but it was the lightest I could get) and then went back to flouro. I found I couldn't cast the small stuff I use with braid as well as with flouro line. I prefer 2 lb. test but will go up to 4 lb if there are bigger fish around. I never use 6 lb as its too difficult to cast the tiny tube jigs I like.

For a reel I use only small spinning reels. I like the Pflueger medalist.

But I still prefer my UL fly rods by far and will only revert to the dark side when forced to by circumstance.

Harry

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:26 am • # 20 

Jeremy,
Thanks for putting up this new section of the forum. There used to be a UL spinning forum on the web, and when it closed down there was a gap to be filled, which this section should do nicely.

JimRed,
It seems like we went to different schools together. I started out quite like you did nad about the same time, but in Michigan where most of my fishing was for small-stream trout. Then fly-fishing came iinto my life, and eventually UL fly-fishing was just a natural evolution.

Nowadays almost all of my fly rods are still built so that they can also accomodate a UL spinning reel, but somehow a fly reel almost always is used. Something tells me that this section of the forum will bring about some interesting discussions...

Go to page 1, 2  Next   Page 1 of 2   [ 29 posts ] New Topic Add Reply