It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 6:27 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 18 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:49 am • # 1 

Here is an interesting source of equipment and knowledge for JDM (Japanese Domestic Market) gear.
In Japan they have UL Spinning rods and reels not available to the USA retail market.

Search Finesse-Fishing.com for details, great information.

Chris describes Finesse Fishing from the presentation aspect with excellent concepts.
He also has hooks for converting lures with treble to single no barb, this is required in one of my local C&R rivers that allows non fly fishing gear but must be single hook barbless.

Many will dismiss the JDM gear due to pricing however, the presentation concepts are valuable to everyone.
My favorite Sage fly rods are now $1,000+ and fly reels $400+, the JDM equipment is a fraction of that investment.

Regards,
FK

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:33 pm • # 2 

Nice gear, thanks for posting. I've been looking for UL casting and spinning rods like the Tenryu offerings for a while now. The Daiwa telescopic rods would be terrific if they were more "UL." The finest UL rod I ever owned was a Daiwa from the 90's that was solid carbon and would cast 1/64 oz spinner-flies all over the pond.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:44 pm • # 3 

On the Tackletour forums - Ultralight Fishing section several threads on UL Spinning rods discuss "solid graphite tip" rods from the JDM. They claim better UL casting performance with that rod design.
I have never been aware of any USA available rods having that type of graphite construction.

My goal it to find a UL Spinning rod/line combination that will cast 1/32 & 1/64 jigs a reasonable distance for pond fishing from shore.

Regards,
FK

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:55 pm • # 4 

It's true, I'd have a hard time shelling out $400+ for an ultralight reel (Daiwa Presso 2025C), but on the other hand, my ultralight fly reel is a $20 Cortland Rimfly that cost me $20 and serves my purposes to the extent that I don't look elsewhere.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 1:13 pm • # 5 

A nice machined fly reel with disk drag will cost $300-$400 easily.
Years ago, I was into Abel reels for salt water fly fishing, today $800 is normal.
Think of it, a frame, spool and simple drag construction,,, compared to a spinning reel with gears, 6-8 bearings and intricate parts like a swiss mechanical watch. Excellent spinning reels are selling for $150-$200 price range, functional reels are at $50-$70 range.

The latest USA fly rods are now up to and over $1,000,,,, compared to spinning rods, the same blank construction and cork/reel seat at 1/3 the price for high end pricing.

Regards,
FK

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 4:21 pm • # 6 

fkrow:
Yes, you raise an issue that has fascinated me for years. I have a few spinning outfits that are more than adequate for the task, and as you point out, the reels are vastly more complicated than any of my fly reels. Not demeaning the craftsmanship that goes into fine fly reels, but the workhorse fly reels are pretty simple devices. I'm pretty certain why the fly reels are priced the way they are: its called 'what the market will bear'. Kinda like when you're outfitting a boat. Buy your stuff at the automotive supplier, and you'll do fine; go to a marine supply store, and you're gonna pay a premium for the little picture of a boat on the box.

Fly rods vs. spinning rods? I'd be interested to hear some input on that from someone who has some informed insights.
brent

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 7:20 pm • # 7 

fkrow wrote:
On the Tackletour forums - Ultralight Fishing section several threads on UL Spinning rods discuss "solid graphite tip" rods from the JDM. They claim better UL casting performance with that rod design.
I have never been aware of any USA available rods having that type of graphite construction.

My goal it to find a UL Spinning rod/line combination that will cast 1/32 & 1/64 jigs a reasonable distance for pond fishing from shore.

Regards,
FK

What type of line to you all use for this?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 7:43 pm • # 8 

Lines I like are the braided super lines.

Berkley FireLine Crystal 4lb and Power Pro High Vis 5lb, both are 1lb mono equivalent dia.

Tried 2lb mono and it tangles too much for my casting.

Regards,
FK

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 5:19 pm • # 9 
Administrator

FK, you beat me to posting about JDM gear. I've been looking at JDM rods since last year. I found out that Chris had a new site last month, now I can just buy from him.

I'm planning on getting an Area rod to use for panfish.

Another JDM company to look at is Major Craft, they have an English site, and the rods can be found readily on eBay from good sellers in Japan.

http://www.majorcraft.co.jp/english/index.jsp

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 11:14 pm • # 10 

FK, I think your post will cost me a lot of money but I believe it will be well spent.

So this is one of Chris Stewart's ventures?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:45 am • # 11 

Knotty,

Yes, this a new site for purchase of JDM spinning and casting gear by Chris.
Since he has the commercial connections in Japan for Tenkara, the same distributors carry UL gear.

He has a Shimano Aging and Mebaru series UL spinning rods on order for me to test drive.
I am searching for a 6'6" to 7' rod which is difficult to find that will cast 1/64 & 1/32 oz. jigs.
The longer length gives better line control in moving water.

In addition the UL jigs work great on the UL fly rods in 1wt-2wt.

Regards,
FK

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:50 pm • # 12 

I'm really intrigued by baitcasting setups for the 1/32 to 1/4 ounce range. Wonder what that's like. A birds nest in 2# line sounds like a disaster.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 2:27 pm • # 13 

I have a JDM Presso 1025 and Presso AGS 54XUL-S rod....yes it's expensive, but I've paid far more for an ultralight fly rod and reel. The quality is superb. The rod design looks odd but is very comfortable to fish. Handles .5 g to 2.5 g lures, jigs are a breeze to cast.

Last edited by JB in SC on Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 11:38 am • # 14 

JB, that's one nice looking setup. Not normally a slave to fashion but I like the way you've got the reel spooled up with orange braid to match the rod's accent colors. Did a price check on the rod...ouch! The price of perfection.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 12:31 pm • # 15 

Knotty wrote:
JB, that's one nice looking setup. Not normally a slave to fashion but I like the way you've got the reel spooled up with orange braid to match the rod's accent colors. Did a price check on the rod...ouch! The price of perfection.

I don't know about perfection, but it's a really great set up. The line is Sunline Meister Area mono, 3 lb test (.005"), the orange runs for 8 meters then goes neutral for 2 meters. Yes it's expensive, but I can't say how many thousands I've spent on fly gear since 1987 (when I started using 3 weights and under). Sages, Scotts, Orvis, and various custom rods aren't bargain priced.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 3:47 pm • # 16 

Ordered a spool of the Sunline Meister Area 3# from Finesse-Fishing.com.

Over the past week I've been doing some fishing with Leland Lures 2# Trout S.O.S. in lemon green but it was very hard to see the line. Maybe it's a fly fishing thing, but I want to see evidence of the take in the line so I don't have to wait on, or count on, feel.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 4:17 pm • # 17 

The orange isn't really bright, not a fluorescent. The stuff is really tough to see when threading and tying the neutral section. I wouldn't recommend it for inline spinners, it is very soft.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:03 pm • # 18 

Well, I'm committed now, so we'll see how it goes. Not cheap for line but still very little expense in the big picture.

Page 1 of 1   [ 18 posts ] New Topic Add Reply