It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:15 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 10 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: And One Monster
PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 11:27 pm • # 1 

Spent Saturday at my local pond with my 6' TFO Signature fly/spin rod spooled with .005" 3# Sunline. Spent most of my time casting a small crankbait from Trout Magnet. Landed a good number of bass like the one below. Twice I hooked into much bigger largemouth (2-3#) and both times the lure was thrown when the fish were within 10'. Oh the heartache.

Results with the crankbait fell off so I switched to a Berkley Atomic Tube suspended about 2' under a trout magnet float. The tubes drew a lot of takes but it took me a while to get the hooksets right. Then I started catching yellow perch, pumpkinseeds and more small LMB.

Then came the big moment. The float dipped, I set the hook and right away felt the weight of the fish. I knew that landing this one was going to take patience and proper use of the rod to protect the line. To make things worse, I was on a bank between two overhanging bushes, the lake was full of weeds and I didn't have my net. But I kept my head and a minute or two later lipped this 19" monster. A personal best on XUL.

Later I'd hook another big one but it made a sudden run and snapped my line. I wonder if it wasn't a little frayed because the break really surprised me.

Post subject: Re: And One Monster
PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 12:53 am • # 2 

Nice fish knotty. Thanks for the pictures and report.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:31 am • # 3 

Dang!

Nice report!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 10:24 am • # 4 

Great report, thanks for posting.

Regards,
FK

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 10:38 am • # 5 

Nice bass on an ultralight!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 12:29 pm • # 6 

Nice fish!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 5:39 pm • # 7 

Sweet, what reel is that? Do those yellow perch fight hard? wish we had those in Missouri, great job on the big guy/gal. I always break off if I have two nice fish in a row, now I retie after a bigger fish!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 6:36 pm • # 8 

The perch fight well but, for their size, not as hard as bluegills and pumpkinseeds. The difference is the perch are generally bigger. I'm very fond of fishing for them since they can be caught year round.

The Berkley Atomic Tubes come in 1/32 and 1/16 oz. Mine are probably 1/32, as they're more common, but don't know for sure. Those things are magic. My friend in NY state was sending me pics of big bass and crappie he was catching on them. I checked my box and found that I had a few left. When I first started fishing a few years ago I caught one of my biggest smallmouth on an Atomic Tube and 2# mono from a boat. Probably the longest I've ever fought a fish.

The main reason I'm using such small diameter line is to maximize casting distance, not stealth. I wasn't even tying the lure to the gray, stealth sections of the Sunline. I was being cheap and attaching directly to the high viz orange after I had used up the first 2 meter stealth gray section. Being able to reach out farther than I normally can with my fly rod opens up new opportunities on this pond. In the past I was always wishing I could reach just that little bit further.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 7:51 pm • # 9 

Nice Largemouth Bass no matter where you are from, does pond get much fishing pressure?

Enjoy and Be Safe!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:39 pm • # 10 

The Gill Guy wrote:
Nice Largemouth Bass no matter where you are from, does pond get much fishing pressure?

Enjoy and Be Safe!

On any given day there are anywhere from one to maybe eight people fishing it. Bank only and limited to about 1/3 the total shoreline. It's town property and you're supposed to pay for an annual fishing pass (I do) but most people don't. That because until the swim beach opens in the summer, there's no one at the gate checking. Occasionally our animal warden comes along and checks though.

More about this location can be found in the "My Local Pond" thread.
http://ultralightflyfishing.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=70&t=11421&hilit=my+local+pond

Page 1 of 1   [ 10 posts ] New Topic Add Reply