It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:40 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 5 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: What size hook?
PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:05 pm • # 1 

Hello UL folks. I have a question because I am out of my league here. Let me set the story for you so you'll know what I'm up against.

I'm in Minn. with the family and my wife, son, mother in -law and myself have been fishing for sunfish with nightcrawlers on a hook.

Here's where I need your help. My wife, son, and ma in-law can't seem to set the hook quicker, and so because of that, the fish are swallowing the hooks. I have cut a lot of line, loseing hooks quickly because they don't seem to understand what a quick hook set is. They wait for the bobber to go completely under the water before they set it.

I have been using size 6 hooks with a long shank. Should I go to a #4 hook? Or will that be too big for these giant sunfish?

Any help you can give will be appreciated to help me help them. I am starting worry about the safety of the fish because I don't like leaving hooks in them. If my family would eat fish, that be different, but they don't for some strange reason, so I am feeling bad for my finned friends.

Help!

Post subject: Re: What size hook?
PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:36 pm • # 2 

Circle hooks might help or Trout Magnet in 1/64 or 1/200 (white)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:34 am • # 3 

Perhaps you could take a pair of pliers and crush down the barbs on those hooks when nobody is looking. However, then you would be at great risk of repeatedly hearing stories about the one that got a way.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:18 pm • # 4 

You might try a 7XL streamer hook. It has an extremely long shank so there might still be hook shank sticking out of the mouth. Also, you can buy disgorgers like the Ketchum Release, which will allow you to get at least some of the hooks out even with regular hooks.

I would highly recommend some of the extremely sensitive floats that will go under if a fish even looks at the bait rather than the round red and white bobbers that most people use. Do a Google search for "sensitive fishing floats." There is a wide selection. Set the float with enough weight that only a very small amount of the float is still visible above the surface. That way, your family can still set the hook when it goes under and will be setting the hook a lot quicker than they are now.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:03 pm • # 5 

Thanks friends. I tried long shanked hooks, circle hooks, and had the styrofoam bobbers, but these fish are just inhaling everything. I just ended up cutting off hooks when I couldn't get them out. And as for the crushed barbs, that's a must for me.

Its all good now. We are on our way back to CO. in the morning, so the rods are packed. I can't wait to get home and get my fly rods out and hit those streams. Its great to take a family vacation, but now I need some me time. And since I don't have to be back to work till Thurs., I will be doing a lot of fishing on my favorite hideaways.

Page 1 of 1   [ 5 posts ] New Topic Add Reply