It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:17 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Go to page 1, 2  Next   Page 1 of 2   [ 25 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: Works for trout, too!
PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:18 am • # 1 

A lot of guys fish a spinning rod for bass or panfish but switch to their fly rod when they head to a trout stream. Ultralight spinning rods work fine for trout! Just fish the same way you would if you were fly fishing. Get in there and wade! Personally, I have never seen a spin fisherman wading. I know some do, but all I have seen just cast from the bank. Most of the prime holding spots are only accessible if you wade (of course, being fly fishermen, you already know that).

A number of people have asked me if I was going to import Japanese lures. I've had some ultra light "ajing" jigs in the shop for a while now. The trout seem to like them.

Then I got in some Japanese spoons. It seems most spin fishermen prefer spinners. I like spoons because they cause much less line twist but still have enough flash to entice some very nice fish. I underestimated demand and have not been able to keep them in stock. They come with a single hook rather than a treble.
(And if you think ultralight spinning is fun, try an ultralight baitcaster! With 3# or 4# line it casts the 2.5 gram spoon nicely. However, you will need a high end Japanese "Bait Finesse System" or "BFS" reel to cast the really light stuff. )

I have tried a couple Japanese plugs. The first was like most of the Japanese plugs designed for trout in rivers. It had two sets of trebles and after catching just two fish I decided I couldn't use it anymore. Both fish got 4 of the 6 hook points buried and it took way to long to unhook them. I took off the front treble and replaced the rear one with a single barbless hook. I miss some hits, but I still catch some fish.

The second plug is a lot more promising. I've only fished with it once so far, but so far I'm a believer.

One of the things I like about this one is that it already comes with a pair of barbless single hooks rather than a pair of barbed trebles. It is designed for fishing in "Areas" which are managed, stocked, pay-to-fish ponds that I think all require barbless single hooks rather than trebles. I know some waters here in the US are "artificials only - single hook barbless" and for them I would take off the front hook.
It still works pretty well with just the rear hook.

I'm not sure I'll carry the first plug. I think having to replace the trebles is just too much trouble. The second one, though, which already comes with barbless single hooks, I hope to have in a few weeks. I also just learned of a couple plugs that come with just a single barbless hook. Samples have been ordered!

All this research is a tough job, but somebody's got to do it ;-)

The bottom line, though, is take your ultralight spinning rod to your favorite trout stream (as long as it's not fly fishing only) you may be in for a very pleasant surprise!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 10:40 pm • # 2 

That is awesome, thanks for sharing! Waded small creeks my whole life with spinning gear!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 2:40 pm • # 3 

I think spinning anglers are less likely to wade because not having to back cast gives them greater ability to make available bank locations work. That said, wading improves the options for all anglers.

Like you Chris, I HATE TREBLE HOOKS! Always looking for spoons and lures with single or, especially, double hooks. Was very pleased to discover that in their smallest size (1/32 oz.?) Dardevle spoons have doubles. Easier on the fish and they snag less since both barbs point up. Haven't looked at your site in a bit but will check out what you offer.

How do you manage to use a baitcaster with a 2.5g lure and not get birds nests? Must require a very sensitive thumb and lots of skill!

I used to be a fly fishing snob but these days I'm loving UL spinning. Opens up a whole new world.

Last edited by Knotty on Fri Oct 27, 2017 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 7:26 am • # 4 

Knotty wrote:
How do you manage to use a baitcaster with a 2.5g lure and not get birds nests? Must require a very sensitive thumb and lots of skill!

It is lots of skill, but not MY skill - I'm really a beginner with a baitcaster. The skill is in the designers and engineers at Shimano, who made a couple baitcasters that will cast 1/16 oz lures easily. (Daiwa has a couple also.) You absolutely need one of the BFS reels to be able to do it, though! There are dozens of YouTube videos on how to twist which knob to get it to do what you want, and it works.

One great piece of advice I got from a more experienced angler was to put a piece of tape on the spool to prevent birds nests deep in the spool. Basically, make your longest practical cast, pull off just a few more feet of line and then put a piece of tape on the spool. None of the line underneath the tape will birds nest because the tape holds it tight. However, if you ever catch a big fish that runs a long ways (still yet to happen) it will pull the tape off.

I still get spool overruns (not really bad enough to be called a birds nests) but fewer and fewer as I get more practice.

What has surprised me the most is that I find I prefer the baitcaster to a spinning reel for the 2.5g spoons! I never expected that.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:06 pm • # 5 

I caught thousands of trout in the sixties and seventies on UL gear, it's very effective when done right.

Last edited by JB in SC on Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:33 pm • # 6 

Knotty wrote:
Always looking for spoons and lures with single or, especially, double hooks.

You might like the Daiwa Presso Step Dart 40S

I know trout like it.

I have to think bass would also. On a steady retrieve it has a fast wobble. On a stop-start, jerky retrieve it darts left and right.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:06 am • # 7 

I've always preferred levelwinds to spinning reels for my conventional fishing. Those ultralight levelwinds fascinate me! This is the first I've heard of them. I'm sure they're priced way out of my range, but I have to ask; what would a setup like these cost?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:18 pm • # 8 

The rods run from $200 to $325. The reels from $325 to $495. I am sure you could use a less expensive rod. You would not be able to get the same performance from a less expensive reel. I'm not sure I'm experienced enough to really tell the difference, but a guy I fish with is adamant that the $495 reel is truly superior to the $425 reel from the same manufacturer.

The second photo in the thread is the $495 reel and a $320 rod. The bottom photo is a $425 reel and a $200 rod.

I can tell the difference between the $200 and the $260 and the $325 rods (but they all catch fish). The reel is the key to being able to cast ultralight lures.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 2:13 pm • # 9 

Tempting, to be sure! I should have also asked; where does one find such light line, and how consistent is it? I occasionally used monofilament labeled as 2 lb. test as a kid, and its breaking strength (and knot strength -- talk about critical knots....) often varied greatly.

This is very intriguing. As I fly fish 99% of the time, I'd have to put some serious thought into laying down that kind of money for specialized equipment used rather rarely. But then, I've spent more on guns I only shoot once or twice a year....... I'm assuming that you are a dealer for this equipment? Just looking at the photographs, the first reel looks like a Shimano; the second looks like something Daiwa would market.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 2:31 pm • # 10 

I use Japanese line, and it is very consistent. At least some (and possibly all) of the line meets IGFA standards.

I am a dealer for the equipment and the line on the Finesse-Fishing.com site (don't forget the hyphen).

You have a good eye. The reel in the second photo is a Shimano Calcutta Conquest BFS HG (left). The reel in the bottom photo is a Daiwa SS Air (left).

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:29 pm • # 11 

I feel a sharp pain in my lip.............. Do you have any right-hand BFSs in stock? Are they rated for salt water?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:41 pm • # 12 

I have the following right hand BFS reels in stock:
Shimano Scorpion BFS HG - 325
Shimano Aldebaran BFS XG - 425
Daiwa SS Air - 425.

The Shimano Scorpion and Aldebaran are rated for salt water. The Daiwa SS Air is fresh water only.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:08 pm • # 13 

When will you have that Calcutta Conquest? Is it salt rated?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:12 pm • # 14 

The Calcutta Conquest is salt water rated. I probably will not receive another right hand model until early December.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:17 pm • # 15 

PM being sent.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:05 pm • # 16 

Chris, that Daiwa Presso Step Dart looks good. Thanks.

Likewise, I could replace the trebles on lures I have with singles but have been hesitant since I don't know what size single replaces a given treble (though I’m sure it can be Googled).

I would love to try one of those fancy baitcasters but it’s hard to justify the price when you’re not sure if it’s for you. Temptation, temptation. :-)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:13 pm • # 17 

Hey Knotty, I just ordered one. C'mon down to Rockport in January and I'll let you see if it's for you. We'll be hammering the specks and I hope to stick a few reds with it. When I have to step up to the 8 weight to throw those heavy Clousers in the swift tidal flow, I think that UL levelwind should do a fine job of throwing them. Fly fishing with an ultralight levelwind......... Oughta be a hoot!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:28 pm • # 18 

Knotty, lotsa guys down here pull the trebles off of topwaters and run single hooks in the salt water. Fewer foulups in the grass and oysters, and many guys report better landed fish ratios with single hooks. Use a hook that's close to the weight of the treble it replaces to maintain the lure's balance, and run short shaft hooks. They get fouled in your line less often. Use a heavy (for the class of hook/lure combination) ring between the lure and hook.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:14 am • # 19 

All right, I pulled the trigger (jerked it, actually -- LOL) on the Shimano Aldebaran and a Daiwa rod that isn't on his site (Chris was kind enough to research it and special order it for me). I also ordered some Japanese braid to try, although I found the equivalent in a very high quality braid -- marketed locally -- just to see if the line from Nippon really is worth twice the price. I normally prefer monofilament to braid on levelwinds, but with no experience on these UL levelwinds I think the advantages of the braid may prove worth it. We shall see........... It'll be used in an oyster-rich environment.

Anyway, my rationale is this: we have a spot that loads up with specks -- often decent specks (spotted weakfish or sea trout for those of you unfortunate enough not to live in Texas) when the water temps get down in the fifties. Now, this spot has given me some 100+ fish days on the fly more than once in the summer, but it is nowhere near as consistent in the summer as it is in the winter. Winter or summer, if the tide is flowing hard it can be a real honey hole. In the summer an outgoing tide is better by far, but in the winter it doesn't seem to make all that much difference. If the water's moving in either direction, the specks are often feeding.

The spot is a gut that ranges from 14' (in one small hole) to 8' deep, then tapers up to 6' deep on the downtide end, as it turns 90 degrees onto a sandy flat where it continues, shallower and wider, for a few yards. Then it opens up a whole lot wider and deeper, with little tidal velocity, into Aransas Bay. The gut is bordered by live oyster reefs (exposed on normal low tides) on both sides, and drops off very quickly. I can cast across it with the five weight or the two weight, and on a good day come pretty close with the half weight. During the winter we wade out thigh deep and cast across and slightly upcurrent, and let the weighted flies sink a bit before beginning the retrieve. Some days the wind, and / or the current, and / or the mood of the fish dictate that we step up to the eight weights and cast heavily weighted flies to get down to the fish. Those days often result in bonus redfish and some pretty healthy flounder, but 20 or 21 inch specks on the eight weight just aren't as much fun as they are on the two weight or the half weight. Not that I'd turn them down, but hey ----- if there's a way to make it better......................

I dragged out one of the old reloading scales and found that my medium lead eye craft fur Clousers, tied on #4 Billy Pate hooks, weigh 24 to 25 grains. That's a gram and a half or a little bit more. These UL baitcasters are rated for three gram to ten gram lures. So I figure that if I bump up to large lead eyes and call upon my superior (cough, cough, snicker...) casting skills, I can just put up the eight weight and tie a heavy Clouser on the UL levelwind rig. If I have to, I can go to a tandem rig for the extra weight. I'll be fly fishing with an ultralight Bubba rig! Yeah, Buddy!

I recall an exceptionally windy spring day there several years ago. I pulled up in my kayak (just moving into the wind at all in the yak was an ordeal) and just couldn't cast into it with the seven or the eight. I broke out the ten and started my gale force winds chuck-and-duck routine, recalling vividly the time I buried a big tarpon fly in my forehead playing that same silly game down in south Florida. Just a few "casts" (I utilize that term veeerrrrrry loosely) into the routine I heard a loud "whack" as the heavily weighted fly 'gently landed' on my rod. The next cast, my ten weight cratered. My day was over. The only thing left to do was retire to the RV, shower, and enjoy a tall, refreshing beverage. Followed by another........

Now, when the wind or the tides buck up on me, I will be ready -- with my ultralight levelwind rig and a heavy Clouser. I really think this is gonna be a hoot! I hope to put in a week down there in January; the RV park where we stay (in Rockport -- they took a heavy hit from Harvey) is slated to reopen January first. I'll sure let y'all know how it goes....... I'm betting this new rig will peg out the old fun meter.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:53 pm • # 20 

Can’t say I’m not feeling a bit jealous. Enjoy!

Go to page 1, 2  Next   Page 1 of 2   [ 25 posts ] New Topic Add Reply