It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:27 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 5 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: Breaking in the new TFO
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:11 pm • # 1 

Tried yesterday, but it was overcast , low 50’s with a little wind and I got three nibbles but nothing was interested in eating .
This afternoon it was sunny mid 60’s and I found seven in about an hour and a half that took a 1/80th woolybooger microjig.
I was fishing with my new 6’6” UL TFO rod . Paired up with a Daiwa 2000 Fuego with 2# Viscious florescent green line .
I was using a 1” weighted foam float about 18” above the jig . Cast , let sit for a few seconds , then slow retrieve until the float disappears.
This my answer to Flyfishing that I used to do almost exclusively until my shoulders and elbows couldn’t handle the casting anymore . With the weighted float , I lob cast which puts all the work in the rod instead of me .
The rod performed pretty good . It didn’t seem like I was getting the distance I do with my St Croix Panfish and Trout series rods . I wish the diameter of the first guide were a little larger . And it seems a little too fast . If it were a little slower action , it’d load better , and probably get a little more distance out of it .
Most of my fishing is done from shore now and distance means more coverage .
Here’s a couple of the bigger ones I caught . Gillchaser

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:13 pm • # 2 

Here’s another one . Gillchaser

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:52 pm • # 3 

Glad you got to try it out....nice fish. I can say that the rod is definitely lighter in hand than my Bass pro rod and its kind of a cross between the action of my Fenwick eagle ul 7' and my 6'-6" UL Bass pro rod. I was hoping for a feel more like the flex of the Finesse series fly rods......but hey this is still pretty sweet.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:43 pm • # 4 

joe the plumber wrote:
Glad you got to try it out....nice fish. I can say that the rod is definitely lighter in hand than my Bass pro rod and its kind of a cross between the action of my Fenwick eagle ul 7' and my 6'-6" UL Bass pro rod. I was hoping for a feel more like the flex of the Finesse series fly rods......but hey this is still pretty sweet.

Thanks , I’ll It’s a nice rod , especially for the price . I have one of the TFO 6’Ul that’s made from a fly rod blank I paid $100 plus shipping. These rods are better IMO .
Guess I’ve been spoiled by my St Croix and Daiwa Rods . I’d love to try all of the different lengths , but I won’t be buying them all . If the seven footer had been available as a two piece , I’d probably would have ordered it . Gillchaser

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:14 am • # 5 

Here’s a picture showing the jig I was using , gillchaser

Page 1 of 1   [ 5 posts ] New Topic Add Reply