It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:13 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 8 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:09 am • # 1 

I have a custom rolled McFarland fiberglass spin blank I’m building for my brother.
5’ 6” for 2-4# line.
I’d have no problems if this was a flyrod but I’ve never built a spining rod in my life.
I’ve talked and emailed a couple techs at Mudhole and they suggest the following for guides: ( I wanted to use waveguides but they don’t make them small enough for this rod)
CBR LZR Model YR..size 20,12, & 8
Then move to CBR LZR model R
6(choke guide) then 5’s the rest of the way including the tip top.

Doesn’t make sense to me and I didn’t question them at the time with what I’m about going to ask, I might call them back about this but I want your guys input on it

Seems to me once you come out of the choke guide a #6 you would step down to a #5 and then the rest would be #4’s especially on a rod this light.

Reel is a Pflueger President 500.
T.I.A

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 3:48 pm • # 2 

MikeW wrote:
I have a custom rolled McFarland fiberglass spin blank I’m building for my brother.
5’ 6” for 2-4# line.
I’d have no problems if this was a flyrod but I’ve never built a spining rod in my life.
I’ve talked and emailed a couple techs at Mudhole and they suggest the following for guides: ( I wanted to use waveguides but they don’t make them small enough for this rod)

Doesn’t make sense to me and I didn’t question them at the time with what I’m about going to ask, I might call them back about this but I want your guys input on it

Seems to me once you come out of the choke guide a #6 you would step down to a #5 and then the rest would be #4’s especially on a rod this light.

T.I.A

You can do this by measuring the diameter of the spinning reel spool and dividing it in 2- that should be the stripping guide size.
Don't know what the diameter of the President 500 is, but I do know the spool diameter of the the Diawa 500C-- it's around 32mm, so if the President's diameter is similar, you're most likely going to need a size 16 guide to start.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 4:08 pm • # 3 

My brother said the reel spool is 1.5” across
So that would be about 38mm which would about go with what Mudhole suggested
A #20 seeing how they don’t make a 18 or 19 in that guide.
My concern is a bunch of #5 running guides instead of #4’s

Last edited by MikeW on Tue Jan 08, 2019 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 4:11 pm • # 4 

MikeW wrote:
My brother said the reel spool is 1.5” across

So that's about 38mm- in that case, I'd recommend a size 20 guide.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:37 pm • # 5 

MikeW wrote:
5’ 6” for 2-4# line.

T.I.A

Probably a bit late to the party, but here's Joe Robinson's original "Aetna Foulproof" guides recommendation: 5 guides total, top 2 same size - 5/32", 1/4", 1/2", and 3/4". My first rod was built following these guide lines.
"REC Recoil" guides - 7, 8 low, 10 and 20. My second rod was built accordingly, but w/o REC guides.
My third rod is built using 4, 6 low, 12 and 16.
Good luck.
Brett

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2020 3:52 pm • # 6 

guys at mudhole have seen it all, done most of it as well. i'd be comfortable with their suggestions in a heartbeat. modern spacing guidelines are hard to beat.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 10:56 am • # 7 

MikeW wrote:

T.I.A

A 5’6” fiberglass for 2-4 line? You didn’t mention use in terms of mono or braid, but even with mono that light you can go much smaller on ring sizes.

Also bear in mind the bend of the rod when fighting a fish, that 20 is going to be dipping pretty low and put the line at a very odd angle to the reel as the rod bends. I have 8wt 9’ flyrod blanks built as spinning rods and I have no more than a 16 as the first guide from the reel. With braid, it works fine, anything larger or with a longer frame gets strange when the rod is bent deeply.

Pay attention to this facet of building on light, deep flexing blanks. It’ll matter most of the time, you just won’t realize it until the glue has dried and your onto the first nice fish. Tape ‘em on and play with the blank for a bit, it’ll tell you where to go with guides and how they line up with the reel under loads. Your spool measurement is one thing, where that roller is is another and it’ll create a strange wobble feeling under loads if the guide is too low when blank bends.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 2:59 pm • # 8 

Knotjoe
Thx for Your input on that...I’m about get into building this rod today
Good timing

Page 1 of 1   [ 8 posts ] New Topic Add Reply