It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:41 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 4 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 12:25 pm • # 1 

If you fish "true" ultralight - i.e. 6X or .005" diameter or less, then you already know how prone to line twist this gear is. Every thing about UL says "line twist" - it's just part of the game, IMHO. That being said, there are many ways to combat it. This is from Joe Robinson's book Piscatorial Absurdities, and is a direct quote.

"12. LINE SUPPORT Avoiding Excessive Line Twists
Line twist can be a real migraine when using threadline. Severe twists can sabotage the cast as well as the retrieve and can weaken line significantly. The potential for abundant twists occurs (1) during the process of casting or retrieving certain lures and (2) when playing fish. Some lures, particularly in-line spinners like Panther Martins and Mepps, whirl like a windmill when retrieved. It is absolutely necessary that a substantial amount of line be allowed to unwind after each cast. The solution is to lift the rod tip as high as possible and let the suspended lure revolve in the opposite direction. The routine only takes a few seconds and will rectify the problem entirely. Avoiding this procedure for four or five casts will be regretted, as hundreds of line twists form in the line. A SMALL SWIVEL WILL NOT ELIMINATE THE PROBLEM. A few tiny lures tend to spin rapidly in the air when cast. The resulting twists can be removed the same way.

Excessive twists also amass when playing a fish, particularly a larger fish. A spin fisherman may become over zealous and start cranking the reel handle at a frenetic pace, even though the feeble drag setting prohibits line from being retrieved. As I mentioned earlier, scads of spirals will gather in the line. To prevent this from happening, a fish must be "pumped in" rather than reeled. And a spirited fish is capable of pulling line off the spool several times during the struggle, corkscrewing the line in the process. These coils can effectively be removed, after the fish has been landed, by casting several times and retrieving line through the thumb and index finger ahead of the reel. The lure should be permitted to spin out after each cast, by hanging from an extended line. It is critical that a threadliner be vigilant at checking the condition of his line and addressing the twist problem, before it becomes major. I can often fish for months without losing any significant amount of line due to twisted snarls, but diligent line maintenance is required. Letting a lure spin out twists on a long elevated line, takes little longer than false casting between retrieves with the fly rod."

"Tight lines, but with ultralight tackle, not too tight." Tom McNally
Brett

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 5:26 pm • # 2 

I remember an occasion about 26 years ago when I experienced about as severe a case of line twist as can be imagined. I was fishing the Lower Illinois River in NE Oklahoma for trout when I hooked what I thought was a very large trout. I was fishing spinning gear with 4 lb. test line. About 20 minutes later, I finally managed to bring the fish in close enough to identify it. It was a carp of about 12 lbs. Since I was involved in the best fish fight of my life I was not at all disappointed, but continued to try to bring the fish in. The fish would make 80 or 90 yard runs down river, then just stop and sulk for a while. I would drop the tip of the rod and reel up the slack, then pump the fish back toward me, gradually reeling up the slack with each bit I gained. This went on for an hour and 20 minutes, until suddenly my line snapped. I had noticed increasing difficulty with cranking the reel, just thought there was something wrong with the reel. The line had snapped just outside the tip of the rod. As I held the rod up I noticed the line didn't fall back through the guides. When I looked at the end of my rod, I found the line had wrapped itself tightly around the tip of the rod about 6 or 7 seven times. It was wrapped so tightly I had to pull it loose. Apparently on at least a few occasions when I dropped the rod tip to reel up the slack, the twisted line rebounded back around the tip of the rod. Well, at least I had fun as long as it lasted.

Larry

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 3:21 pm • # 3 

This is why UL fishermen going after IGFA saltwater records use revolving spool (casting) reels instead of spinning reels. Even then, the serious guys/gals change line after every big fish, record or not. A long fight does ugly things to UL mono.

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 11:36 am • # 4 

Line twist was a major factor in my becoming interested in BFS, and I’d rarely used spinners and was aware of the cranking against drag issue. Most of the twist came from lures spinning as they flew through the air and soft plastics that spun on the retrieve.

My casting is improving, reducing but not eliminating twist and I try to be more careful with getting the plastics better centered on hooks.

Funny thing is, both causes of twist are not eliminated by using casting reels. Once again, user error is the biggest problem. ::)

Page 1 of 1   [ 4 posts ] New Topic Add Reply