It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:22 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 15 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: SUL Madness
PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 7:51 am • # 1 

Hit a local pond the other day and quickly landed a nice enough bass with a ML baitcast rod and a Zoom fluke. But that just didn't ring my bell. The pumpkinseeds were on their beds, just feet from shore, with bass all around and I wanted some of that action.

Switched to a Kuying Teton TTS622SUL (.8-3 g lure rating), Stradic Ci4+ 1000 reel with a 7X Trout Magnet Phantom flouro tippet leader and 4# Seaguar Yellow Hunter flouro main line. The lure was a Trout Magnet in Bison [correction: Bulldog] color on a 1/64 oz sickle hook jig head (also caught one on a small 2.3 g minnow). My expectation was that I'd get loads of sunfish. Reality was that the largemouth were the ones most interested in the TMs, allowing me to bring over a dozen to hand. I assume they mistook them for fry. Got about 4 or 5 pumpkinseeds.

The SUL rod let me cast the Trout Magnets with ease and then twitch them back in the shallow water. Had I planned on bass, I would probably have upped the leader size but in the end I didn't have a single break off. The rod did a great job at protecting the tippet. Just had to remind myself to let the drag do it's job and not rush. When the bass run for the weeds, let them. Even w. very light drag they don't go far.

I really like the medium action on this rod. In general I'm more comfortable with flexible rods. I generally lose fewer fish with them, since it's easier to keep a bend in the rod and I often crush the barbs on hooks.

In the end, I couldn't have been happier with each piece of gear and the experience as a whole.

Last edited by Knotty on Sat May 11, 2019 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: SUL Madness
PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 12:56 pm • # 2 

Dang!

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 9:28 pm • # 3 
Administrator

Fun!

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 11:45 am • # 4 

awesome :applause :applause

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 11:57 am • # 5 

fantastic day! Congrats.

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 3:06 pm • # 6 

Knotty, it looks like you had a lot of fun. Thanks for the nice report, which has aroused my curiosity. To put this in a perspective that I can understand, how does that Kuying Teton TTS622SUL rod compare in action to a 6-foot 1- or 2-weight fly rod?

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 3:32 pm • # 7 

PampasPete wrote:
Knotty, it looks like you had a lot of fun. Thanks for the nice report, which has aroused my curiosity. To put this in a perspective that I can understand, how does that Kuying Teton TTS622SUL rod compare in action to a 6-foot 1- or 2-weight fly rod?

That's a great question. I'd say it's quite similar to a 2 wt. Only 2 wt I own is a CGR, which I understand actually measures closer to a 1 wt than a 2. Even small gills will flex the rod deeply.

These rods are so affordable that I highly recommend you get one if curious. The only risk is that it may act as a gateway drug to more expensive JDM versions.

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 8:07 pm • # 8 

Knotty wrote:

That's a great question. I'd say it's quite similar to a 2 wt. Only 2 wt I own is a CGR, which I understand actually measures closer to a 1 wt than a 2. Even small gills will flex the rod deeply.

These rods are so affordable that I highly recommend you get one if curious. The only risk is that it may act as a gateway drug to more expensive JDM versions.

What was actually on my mind when asking about the comparison is the possibility of using an inexpensive 1- or 2-weight fly rod blank to build up a combination rod. I have a 3-weight combo rod that works nicely, and as I write this I’m looking at a 6’ 3” 0-weight that has the right kind of guides and a grip that would be OK for the good old Mitchell 308. Now for some lighter line, and this could make for an interesting experiment when the next springtime rolls around in the southern hemisphere…

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 5:28 pm • # 9 

The Kuying Teton 6'2" SUL continues to provide lots of fun, catching big fish in the Spring season. With a Trout Magnet on a 1.6g jig head I can make some pretty long casts. Never know if it's going to get a little bluegill or a hard fighting smallie. These are from Lake Wallenpaupack in Pennsylvania.

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 2:28 pm • # 10 

Dang! Nice smallmouth!

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 8:44 pm • # 11 

strummer wrote:
Dang! Nice smallmouth!

That last one was 18”. What a blast.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:05 pm • # 12 

A couple more on spoons with the Kuying.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 9:01 am • # 13 

Nice!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 1:26 am • # 14 

:lol :lol :lol :lol not to judge, but you are a terrible bream fisherman...all you keep catching are bass ...nice bass.. I bet they put a serious bend in that rod and a smile on your face..great job. I'm jealous. :applause :applause :applause

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 1:20 am • # 15 

joe the plumber wrote:
:lol :lol :lol :lol not to judge, but you are a terrible bream fisherman...all you keep catching are bass ...nice bass.. I bet they put a serious bend in that rod and a smile on your face..great job. I'm jealous. :applause :applause :applause

Funny thing is I've actually been trying to catch more bream, or as us Yanks would call them, sunnies, but they just haven't been cooperating.

These bass will bend the rod over double if you let them. Bigger challenge is getting a good hook set with such a soft rod. You have to use only lures with very fine hooks for easy penetration.

Page 1 of 1   [ 15 posts ] New Topic Add Reply