It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:48 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 10 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 3:24 pm • # 1 

Went out with the Daiwa Presso AGS 54XUL-S area rod on northern NJ stocked trout stream. Started with my usual Trout Magnets and was pulling up small redbreasts and rock bass like crazy but what I really wanted was to start using spoons.

I hate losing lures to snags, which of course is where the fish are, so I bought a 20 pack of single hook, 1.8 g, 2.5 cm spoons from Aliexpress for about $10. Had low expectations for them but at least I'd be willing to take more chances and learn.

Much to my surprise, the spoons performed quite well. The hook is nice and fine, with a small barb, and small enough that sunfish had no problems hooking up. I went from catching redbreasts on the small size to nice chunkier ones. Same with the rock bass. Unlike spoons with trebles, these spoons came through most snags with ease. I also quartered them downstream and let them swing, producing a few stocker rainbows. The ever abundant pickerel liked them as well and none bit me off (miracle of miracles).

This section or river flows slowly, which was good as these spoons would rise too much on faster retrieves or flows. With a 2.5 g upper lure weight limit, it might be tough to find deeper fishing spoons for this rod. Suggestions?

I see now why so many people are gaga for spoons.

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 9:31 am • # 2 

Given a 2.5g weight limit, the only variable left is shape. You might try a narrower spoon like the Shimano Slim Swimmer, which is 2.5g, or the Forest Marshal 2.3g spoon. They aren't fifty cents each, but you know now that you rarely lose a single hook spoon to snags.

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 9:09 pm • # 3 

Thanks for the suggestions Chris.

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 9:55 pm • # 4 

Those little puss guts fight hard , eh ?

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 10:28 am • # 5 

Chris Stewart wrote:
Given a 2.5g weight limit, the only variable left is shape. You might try a narrower spoon like the Shimano Slim Swimmer, which is 2.5g, or the Forest Marshal 2.3g spoon. They aren't fifty cents each, but you know now that you rarely lose a single hook spoon to snags.

Didn’t realize how many new offerings you have. Let’s just say I spent WAY MORE than 50 cents. LOL

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2020 8:06 pm • # 6 

Years ago I really got into super ultralight. Seeking tiny spoons and having little luck, I started making my own. I’d take the blade from an old 1/8 or 1/16oz rooster tail and drill a second hole in the other end. Then add a little more contour by bending with pliers or punching gently with a hammer. A tiny split ring and hook complete the lure. There’s a satisfaction from catching on a lure you made, like a fly you tied.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 1:38 pm • # 7 

Outsidejim wrote:
Years ago I really got into super ultralight. Seeking tiny spoons and having little luck, I started making my own. I’d take the blade from an old 1/8 or 1/16oz rooster tail and drill a second hole in the other end. Then add a little more contour by bending with pliers or punching gently with a hammer. A tiny split ring and hook complete the lure. There’s a satisfaction from catching on a lure you made, like a fly you tied.

That's pretty cool Jim. Agree about the satisfaction of catching a fish on something you created. I'll probably just be lazy and continue to choose from the large selection of JDM and CDM spoons available via the net.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2020 6:47 pm • # 8 

Outsidejim wrote:

I see that Jann's Netcraft sells spinner blades as well as spoons with no hooks or split rings. That would make it easy to do as Outsidejim suggests.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 11:28 pm • # 9 

net craft has both hooks and split rings but maybe not exactly as you prefer.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 12:31 am • # 10 

If you haven't yet, try some Kast Master spoons, or copies. They're totally flat on both sides, only angled on the edges. You wouldn't think they'd have much action but man do fish go gaga for them. They're fairly narrow and sink well - they might be the ticket for fishing deeper than your other spoons do.

Page 1 of 1   [ 10 posts ] New Topic Add Reply