It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:52 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 8 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: Can you cast ?????
PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 10:19 am • # 1 

Can you really cast a light jig as in 1/200 oz like a trout magnets on one of these little spinning outfits ?

Post subject: Re: Can you cast ?????
PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 4:54 am • # 2 

Sure, but it has as much to do with the line being used as it does the rest of the outfit. The lighter end of today's braids are beyond impressive there, you can sling anything heavier than a light-hearted thought with ‘em.

Regarding “Trout Magnets” and other such creations involving any hook/jig combined with a soft plastic body, the plastic does add castable weight regardless of stated jig or hook weight. It’s a small amount at the 1/200 #14 size, yet it does contribute to the overall castability. With the correct line many offerings larger than the one you inquire about can be cast without any weighted jighead involved. I regularly fished with 1” or 2” Centipedes and cutoffs in the past simply by nose hooking and slinging them on 1/8 PowerPro. There’s even lighter lines available today, although I kinda find them annoyingly wispy in wind and around reel parts.

However, with a small, well chosen reel they probably work great.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 11:56 am • # 3 

I cast them fairly easily on the outfit I bought from Chris Stewart.....also using the small trout magnet float which adds weight as well. I usually see guys fishing those on fly rods under an indicator....not sure what weight rod.....for spinning a shimano soare bb rod with 3# test troutist line does the trick for me. They work great on bluegill when the bite slows down.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 6:15 pm • # 4 

Yes I use them on my 0wt right up through to 4wt . I have never caught anything on them though .
I have some underspin reels and would like to stay in the 2lb range for bluegills , trout etc . Whats the best casting , most invisible line I can buy for these ? TIA

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:46 am • # 5 

While "doable" on SUL and XUL rods, I find casting the 1/200 oz. Trout Mini Magnets not practical. Just not enough weight to load the rod and cast accurately (the rod is really loading itself, not the lure). With a float, that's a different story. Unless you're micro fishing, I don't see any benefit to going that small. Mini Magnets always catch fish when I use them but the fish are most always very small. I can catch a 3# bass on a regular Trout Magnet but that never happens on the minis and even the panfish are always the smallest in the pond or river.

They cast just fine on fly rods but again, they have a very small profile, even when compared to most flies, and tend to catch small fish. In the past I've only switched to them when nothing else was working.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 12:39 pm • # 6 

Remember too on those tiny jigs the soft plastic adds a bunch of weight. By the time it's rigged for fishing those 1/200 oz mini jig heads are probably 1/100oz. In my opinion still too light to be worth anything without extra mass on the line on spin gear.

Trout magnets under a float are killer for bluegill around here, though I think that is mostly selection bias. A buggy nymph under an "indicator" works about as well under the same conditions -- or any suspended small bait on a jig head. It's presentation as much as it is pattern.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 12:57 pm • # 7 

I just used TM as an example , I dont plan to fish them again . My thinking is ULS for fishing while I float to my destination to fly fish . I can barely walk now due to two failed back surgeries this year so I have to float , it's the only way I can fish now . Thank heavens I have a Kodiak ! Any way I would want to bounce a jig or maybe a czheck nymph while floating and was wondering if they would work . However after checking the prices on these I have given the idea up and will just use the UL Micro rod I already have and use a Zebco Micro Gold 33 . It should be good enough for 15-20' casts .

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 5:48 pm • # 8 

jangles wrote:
I just used TM as an example , I dont plan to fish them again . My thinking is ULS for fishing while I float to my destination to fly fish . I can barely walk now due to two failed back surgeries this year so I have to float , it's the only way I can fish now . Thank heavens I have a Kodiak ! Any way I would want to bounce a jig or maybe a czheck nymph while floating and was wondering if they would work . However after checking the prices on these I have given the idea up and will just use the UL Micro rod I already have and use a Zebco Micro Gold 33 . It should be good enough for 15-20' casts .

:applause :applause :applause I have caught more fish on a zebco 33 than I can count......and when I would catch those 3lb largemouth and strip every gear all I had to do was save up $15 and grab a brand new one at Gibsons Sporting Good store.....waaay back in the day. You just brought a flood of memories..thanks :)

Page 1 of 1   [ 8 posts ] New Topic Add Reply