It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:12 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 1 post ] New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: JDM and CDM Spoons
PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 11:30 pm • # 1 

I have a few JDM spoons that I purchased from Chris on his website. I've never fished with a spoon before and I want to try the nice ones he has on his site. They are expensive but for me they are cheaper to order from Chris than ordering from Japan with the extra shipping fees and the extra time it takes to get them. I ordered some CDM spoons and well... they aren't the same quality as the JDM versions. The finish of the plating and paint on the JDM spoons are a lot better and the quality of the blade material is better as well. They came with quality hooks (extremely sharp)as well as split rings. The stamping on the backside of the blades are excellent (blade weight). On the CDM spoons, the paint is ok (better than what I could do). I can't tell what metal they use for the CDM spoons but they seem a little "clunky". A couple of the CDM companies sell a higher quality looking spoon than most of the others and include split rings along with decent hooks. Most of the other spoons I received came with small snaps while others came with nothing to connect to line. Also not all of the CDM spoons had the weight stamped on the back and most that did are very hard to read if at all. I am no spoon expert but I know a quality product when I see it and hold it in my hand. To me the JDM spoons are definitely of higher quality and finish and that is why they cost more. I'll use the cheapies until I get a handle on using spoons and see how many I lose. Then on quality waters I'll bring out the "good stuff".

The top two rows are JDM spoons, i.e., Daiwa, Smith and Shimano. The lower two rows are CDM spoons. The better ones are from LureLand and Yapada.

I took a shot at painting my own with blank spoons I bought from Aliexpress. Too much work! Buying powderpaint, paint markers, sprayer, split rings, quality hooks, painting and curing and the results were ho-hum. A couple I liked a lot but too much work. Cheaper to buy from the better CDM companies... but it takes FOREVER for them to be delivered. If the spoons work out for me I'll probably stick with the JDM versions.

Page 1 of 1   [ 1 post ] New Topic Add Reply