It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:25 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 9 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: 2 BFS Setups in a Kayak
PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:53 pm • # 1 

After lots of practice in the yard and on open lakes, I'm finally hitting the rivers with BFS. Wet waded on my first two efforts but it was the third time, in a kayak, that was the best.

The setups:

Light - Aldebaran BFS XG with Avail spool, 5'6" Ace Hawk Double UL , .15mm Stren Crappie mono in high-viz yellow and a Trout Magnet on a 1.6 g jig head.

Medium - Fishband GH100, 6'2" Kuying Teton L, .20mm SpiderWire flouro and a Ned rig (1/15 oz mushroom jig and TRD).

I'm a fan of the Teton line and for the light setup I could have brought a TTC-50FUL (1-7 g), which is probably a better rod than the Ace Hawk Double (.5-4 g), but the Double really does cast light lures better than the Teton and I need all the help I can get. Both the TTC-50FUL and Double are cleverly designed for one handed casting, but habits die hard and I often brought my left hand up to cast and grabbed only air. :D

With a 1.6 g jig head and Trout Magnet on the light setup, getting accurate casts went pretty well for a beginner. However, when I switched to the 1/64 oz. TM jig heads things fell apart, so I stuck with the 1.6. Hoping my skills improve to the point where I can use a traditional TM plastic and jig.

My first hit of the day was a good sized smallmouth, though I was expecting a redbreast. The smallie bite was on and I'd catch almost as many of them as I did sunfish. Most were about the size of the 4th in the composite below but the real excitement came with that first one and the other two larger ones. As would be expected, the bigger fish were in prime holds around fallen trees in the river's flow. Had to move them and then the kayak away from the snags quickly to fight them in more open water. They sure do peel drag!

The only time I used the medium setup was when I saw big smallmouth chase a perch I'd just hooked. Switched rods and tossed out the Ned rig and got an aggressive hit but to my eye's surprise it wasn't a smallie but a pickerel. The area was full of grass and boulders but took my time and brought it in safely.

My takeaway from my first few BFS river sessions is that I much prefer BFS to spinning. Yes it takes greater casting skill but precisely stopping a bait is much easier than on a spinning reel and I just plain enjoy the handling of BFS reels in general.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:21 pm • # 2 

SWEEEEEEET. :applause :applause :applause :applause

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:57 pm • # 3 

Dang.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2019 9:11 am • # 4 

I am awaiting delivery of the Ace Hawk Double. Just wish the package had not been damaged in shipment or I would have it in my hands. Have to wait for it to show it is being returned to get them to send a new one out.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2019 9:59 am • # 5 

scorpion1971 wrote:
I am awaiting delivery of the Ace Hawk Double. Just wish the package had not been damaged in shipment or I would have it in my hands. Have to wait for it to show it is being returned to get them to send a new one out.

That's one of the downsides of ordering from China...things take time. Hard to accept in the age of Amazon Prime but where else are you going to get a rod like that for $35? Actually, I doubt a baitcaster rated that low exists at any price in the US market.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2019 7:17 pm • # 6 

I think I'm going to order the Ace Hawk Double in the 6 ' model and either the PW100 or the GH100 . I'm kind of on the fence over the reels . Anyone have a real life comparison ?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2019 11:04 am • # 7 

Wish I could help but, I am still new to this.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 11:52 pm • # 8 

jangles wrote:
I think I'm going to order the Ace Hawk Double in the 6 ' model and either the PW100 or the GH100 . I'm kind of on the fence over the reels . Anyone have a real life comparison ?

GH100 has FTB brakes like an Aldebaran.

PW100 has lighter spool but generic brakes like on most every other reel.

So the PW will cast lighter lures but with a little less control. I only have the GH.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2019 1:11 am • # 9 

Thanks Knotty , I was going to get just the rod and put a Micro Gold spin cast on it but thats changed . That seller doesn't take PayPal and my last experience with an Aliexpress seller was not good so I'll just stay with what I have . Hell , it's not like I ever go fishing anyways .

Page 1 of 1   [ 9 posts ] New Topic Add Reply