It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:10 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 3 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: UL line source?
PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 12:30 pm • # 1 

A challenge with going super light is finding line light enough to cast really tiny lures which have very little weight. 20 or so years ago, Fenwick used to make 1lb test line which was available through Bass Pro, so easily obtainable. I remember when they stopped carrying it, I found a spool of mono sewing thread in about the same diameter. It must have had 5000yds on it and I used it for a long time. Since then I’ve found myself limited to 2lb mono or sometimes fluoro but even that’s hard to find in shops sometime. I know there’s Japanese line available on the internet, but often at what I feel is a ridiculous price for something completely unknown to me. Yesterday I found Asso line on an ice fishing site. It’s in very small diameters, in several different labels in mono, fluoro, and braid. I’m not familiar with it, but the prices are super cheap for some and even the most expensive is very reasonable. I looked at the mfg website and found the prices higher. I ordered 9 spools of various kinds to give it a try and my total was <$50 with shipping. I can’t wat to give it a shot. To you fellas up north, is the selection of sub 2lb line better up there?

Here’s who I ordered from...

https://www.yourbobbersdown.com/default.asp

Post subject: Re: UL line source?
PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2020 1:32 pm • # 2 

Let’s imagine that you’re talking about ultralight spinning reels rather than bait-casting reels. I’ll tell you about something that has worked for me.

I have used inexpensive 4-pound test monofilament on bulk spools to fill the reel spool most of the way, then topped it off with finer tippet material from those 30-yard spools. We’re talking about 5X, 6X, and 7X line. You can get top quality line that way for a fairly low cost. But there are a couple points to take care about. When you use a blood knot to join the 4-pound test to lighter tippet material, it’s worthwhile to make sure the knot is at the lowest part of the reel spool, so as not to hinder casting. Likewise one should make sure that the line comes off the tippet spool in such a way as not to twist.

There are probably others on this board who can tell you about inexpensive sources for the latest, greatest types of line. That is just something that has worked for me, not necessarily the best option.

Post subject: Re: UL line source?
PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2020 7:36 pm • # 3 

Why not look for and buy ice fishing line. They make it in 1# test.

Page 1 of 1   [ 3 posts ] New Topic Add Reply