It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:24 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 7 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2020 2:16 am • # 1 

Hello,

I am purchasing a new UL spinning rod and reel. I saw these below recommendations on the i_fish youtube channel (thoughts and feedback welcome).

For the rod I am considering the Shakespeare Micro Spinning Rod 7' light action (approx $24.00).
For the reel I am considering the Daiwa LEGALIS LT 2500D (model number LGLT2500D) with 5.3:1 retrieve (approx $69.00)

I am looking for a line that would work well with this combo. In particular I would like the line to be easy to use in case I hand the combo to a guest to use. The guest may not be too familiar with fishing / spinning gear.

If there are other recommendations for rods and reels let me know. In particular a less expensive reel. Discontinued reels from ebay are fine.

- Eric

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2020 7:32 am • # 2 

Hey Eric, the rod is a fine choice, the reel IMHO is too big, and I am a Shimano fan, I would opt for a Sienna 1000 ($30) and if your going to let a guest use it, put some 6lb line on it, the stronger line will help with break offs on snags that your guest will probably be doing a lot of. With six lb line you can usually just pull it free and keep on fishing instead of continuously keep tying on new lures.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2020 2:44 pm • # 3 

Grey Ghost wrote:
Hey Eric, the rod is a fine choice, the reel IMHO is too big, and I am a Shimano fan, I would opt for a Sienna 1000 ($30) and if your going to let a guest use it, put some 6lb line on it, the stronger line will help with break offs on snags that your guest will probably be doing a lot of. With six lb line you can usually just pull it free and keep on fishing instead of continuously keep tying on new lures.

Thank You Grey Ghost

Any recommendations for a 6lb line to use? I want to make sure it stays on the spool. I do not mind buying a premium line. Main use is a float with a dry fly or nymph, spinners and spoons.

If I purchased a second rod and reel for a kid to use. Any thoughts on Shimano SYNCOPATE SC1000FG? It might be easier to use if /when it is handed it to a kid because of the trigger casting (quickfire II) feature.

- Eric

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2020 11:03 pm • # 4 

I have suffix 832 in 6 lb test on most of my UL lines and quite like it. It might not be the smallest diameter 6lb braid on the market (it isn't, but it's also a lot stronger than 6#...) but its a good balance of durability, price and castability.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 10:30 pm • # 5 

I've got a few UL spinning outfits - a G Loomis rod that *was* 6'6" that lost a couple inches after the tip broke, an Abu Garcia 5'6", and the rod I use the most which is technically "light action" the Lamiglas XPS 702.

The Loomis and Abu Garcia rods are paired up with Abu Garcia reels, Cardinals, IIRC. The Lami is paired up with an Okuma. None of the reels are super expensive, but they all have good drags. I'm running 10lb test braided main line (about 100' worth) with 6lb mono backing under it, and I run a leader the length of the rod made from fly fishing tippet - flourocarbon or mono depending on the technique. I vary the leader from 5X to 3X - depending on the specific line that can run in the neighborhood of 4 to 8lb test. On the Loomis, which I do more finesse fishing with, I'm typically using 5X flourocarbon rated at about 4.5lb, as this is usually a bobber & jig setup, or sometimes no bobber with two jigs, or I'm throwing small spoons/spinners/micro crank baits with it. The Lamiglas also gets used a lot for bobber & jig fishing, usually using slightly bigger (1/16th oz vs the 1/64 or 1/32 on the other) jigs, or throwing finesse soft plastics - 2" boot tail swim baits, small wacky rig worms, that sort of thing. I'm usually opting for a 4X 6lb leader on this rod.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 3:09 am • # 6 

I am a huge fan of the Okuma AV-10b and AV-50/100 series reels. I use them on all my "medium" and "UL" rods. mostly strung up with 4 or 6 pound Spiderwire EZ-Mono or XXX-Mono.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 11:11 am • # 7 

The line I use is the one I talk to and say "Wow line, you sure are beautiful and sexy! Would you like to go for a swim with me today and maybe catch some fish?" It's amazing how many lines actually fall for that line.

Page 1 of 1   [ 7 posts ] New Topic Add Reply