It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:04 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 5 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: Ajing rods
PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2020 11:26 pm • # 1 

Somebody who knows more about import/JDM rods explain ajing rods to me :-) On a whim I bought a Kuying Superlite Ajing SAS762S UL rod (rated 0.6g to 10g) and it's a funny beast. Nice finish, very light, functional and I caught a bunch of trout on it the other day...but wow it has an odd combo of very light tip with a super rigid butt section -- maybe a UL tip and a M or even MH butt. What sort of fishing is this rod intended to be used for?

Post subject: Re: Ajing rods
PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2020 9:19 am • # 2 

They are ultralight salt water rods designed to fish for Aji, which in English would be Horse Mackerel. Most seem to be about 10" long. The fishing is done almost entirely with small jigs weighing from roughly 1/64 to 1/16 oz, with very small, thin plastics.

The rod design is dictated by the need for casting distance with a very light lure and the need for extreme sensitivity since Aji are a schooling fish that never stops swimming, and depending on which way the school is swimming, one may take your jig and continue swimming directly towards you. Thus, you have to be able to tell when the resistance you normally feel when reeling in suddenly goes away. Plus, an Aji has a very soft mouth so the rod tip has to be very soft or you'd tear the hook out.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2021 9:34 pm • # 3 

Chris Stewart wrote:
They are ultralight salt water rods designed to fish for Aji, which in English would be Horse Mackerel. Most seem to be about 10" long. The fishing is done almost entirely with small jigs weighing from roughly 1/64 to 1/16 oz, with very small, thin plastics.

The rod design is dictated by the need for casting distance with a very light lure and the need for extreme sensitivity since Aji are a schooling fish that never stops swimming, and depending on which way the school is swimming, one may take your jig and continue swimming directly towards you. Thus, you have to be able to tell when the resistance you normally feel when reeling in suddenly goes away. Plus, an Aji has a very soft mouth so the rod tip has to be very soft or you'd tear the hook out.

That was an excellent explanation, thank you.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 9:08 pm • # 4 

I have the same rod and it is indeed a strange beast. It shines on still water, where casting accuracy isn't too important and you want to fish a wide range of weights. Throw a 1 g Trout Magnet one minute and a 5 g Ned rig the next, or something even heavier. Despite the thin tip, it has enough backbone to set larger hooks provided you have line to handle it. It's one of my go to rods for the kayak on days where I don't know what I'll be targeting. The extreme taper makes it a terrible stream or trout rod in my opinion. I just can't cast anything on it with accuracy. Never understood why an ajing rod would need such a beefy butt section considering the target species but I'm sure the Japanese have a good reason.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 1:13 pm • # 5 

I agree with all of that after having used this rod a bunch last fall and this spring. It is a great light jigging rod, you can see takes you would miss on other rods, and you can set the hook fast. You can fish a wide range of lure weights on it and can cast that wide range of weights a surprising distance. The accuracy does suffer -- I'm not very good at casting it accurately into pockets when working a shoreline. That might just be me, or it might be the taper, or both. It also isn't all that much fun to play fish on, very specialized because you can't really effectively use the whole rod.

I do expect it is a ruthlessly effective rod for jigging small schooling fish. I think it would be an excellent kokanee (landlocked sockeye salmon) jigging rod but haven't tried it yet.

Page 1 of 1   [ 5 posts ] New Topic Add Reply