It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:08 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 6 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: Kuying UL spin
PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 12:31 am • # 1 

Well, I blacked out and when I regained consciousness I somehow had against my better judgment ordered another UL spin rod, this time a Kuying TTS642UL, a 6'4" medium action UL spin rod rated for 1-4 gram baits and and 2-4 lb lines.

First things first, shipping: Usually I impulse order these things with free shipping and then have forgotten about them by the time they show up 2 months later, but this one snuck onto a plane and took only 8 days to arrive from Shanghai. I was very impressed. I figured their tracking system had gone haywire when it started notifying me that the rod had arrived in-country, and then the next day that it was out for delivery. But then it showed up on the porch.

Initial impressions it has decent build quality, the wrapping is very good, the nice Fuji concept guides are finished well and all line up. The cork on the fighting butt is a little rough and needs some touchup sanding. Fuji reelseat, fairly light construction but does hold the reel sturdily. Probably not bombproof. This is objectively quite a lightweight rod at 2.3 oz and subjectively feels very light too.

I haven't fished it much but I think their medium action rating is accurate, as are the lure weights. I only managed to catch one 5" bluegill but it was a nice rod to play fish on, bends well into to the blank. It cast a trout magnet well and 1/32 and 1/16 oz jigs very nicely though it started to overload at heavier weights and the 1/8 oz jig felt more like a lob. I used 6# suffix 832 on a 2000 class reel since that's what I had handy and it was serviceable but probably would have liked a lighter setup.

Overall quite happy with this purchase, probably going to be my go-to rod for stocked rainbow trout (I usually use 1/16 dropshot or carolina rigs) this spring.

Post subject: Re: Kuying UL spin
PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 8:29 pm • # 2 

Sounded like a nice rod, I even looked them up and they are even snazzier than I'd guessed. Assume you are speaking of the split-t/nifty cork ringed UL.

Know what you mean on ULs and 1/8 oz jigs...they cast heavy and it's tough to work the jig right with the light tackle. There's a sweet spot with weights on these toys and it's pretty light.

Recently moved down in reel size from 1500 to a 500 size and wished I'd done it much sooner. Something you might want to "hope happens" the next time you start drifting in and out of consciousness again. ;)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 12:51 am • # 3 

knotjoe wrote:
Sounded like a nice rod, I even looked them up and they are even snazzier than I'd guessed. Assume you are speaking of the split-t/nifty cork ringed UL.

That's the one. Maybe not worth even a cursory look to the true JDM connoisseur, but after using it a bit it's a lot of rod for the money. You can't find anything of this component quality locally for twice the cost.

Quote:
Recently moved down in reel size from 1500 to a 500 size and wished I'd done it much sooner. Something you might want to "hope happens" the next time you start drifting in and out of consciousness again. ;)

Too late I already got a little woozy and ordered a Daiwa Exceler LT 1000. I can't speculate since I can't remember but probably I couldn't find any 500 class reels that I liked in my price range. Maybe.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 11:42 am • # 4 

lka wrote:
Too late I already got a little woozy and ordered a Daiwa Exceler LT 1000. I can't speculate since I can't remember but probably I couldn't find any 500 class reels that I liked in my price range. Maybe.

Fine choice! The 1000 size in that model is quite light and I'm bettin' you'll like it much more than the 2000 size.

It always happens this way...when we buy a rod, there's a new reel coming. Buy a reel, we start looking at new rods. We're matchmakers! :)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 12:10 pm • # 5 

Took the rod and new daiwa reel filled with 4 lb fireline down to the backwaters of my local big river the other day. Pretty slow day, but I did manage to catch my first ever common carp, probably around 11 or 12 lbs. He ate a 1" gulp alive minnow on a dropshot rig! The rod handled it without much issue at all. Also caught a handful of small rainbow trout and salmon parr, and a couple bluegill. Lost a bunch of rigs, very snaggy terrain and I'm out of practice casting spin gear...

I like the reel, smoothest drag I own (this is mostly due to the fact that I do not own expensive spin equipment).

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 1:29 pm • # 6 

Sounds quite good for a slow day. Congrats on the first carp, I commend you on your rejection of the "start small" approach to fish species. Double digit carp is a fine way to test the new rig. :applause

Something about dropshotting on UL spinning tackle that just gets 'em. I think I fish DS better on the lightest spinning v/s what is typical for most DS bassing applications. True UL allows one to go to the extremes on small offerings and still fish them properly.

Page 1 of 1   [ 6 posts ] New Topic Add Reply