It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:33 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 12 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: Fixed line fishing
PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 7:24 pm • # 1 
Administrator

Hello all, decided to add another forum for Tenkara. Keiryu, and other Japanese style fixed line methods may also be discussed here.

Enjoy!

Post subject: Re: Fixed line fishing
PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 11:23 pm • # 2 

Yes!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 9:31 am • # 3 

:applause Its good to see a Tenkara forum I have been fishing Tenkara for several years & love it I've gotten to the point where I use Tenkara more than westeren.I do a lot of blue linning for brookies in the Mts of Va & Wv Tenkara is my choice every time

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 9:41 am • # 4 
Administrator

I bought a Tenkara rod last year, but I don't use it much. It has its place, but for me I'm better served with a regular fly rod or UL spinning rod for most of my fishing situations.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 1:11 pm • # 5 

jkurtz7 wrote:
I bought a Tenkara rod last year, but I don't use it much. It has its place, but for me I'm better served with a regular fly rod or UL spinning rod for most of my fishing situations.

I was an early adopter of Tenkara, it works great for certain conditions. Our rhododendron "tunnels" make it a very frustrating experience. Some of my favorite streams are less than 5 feet across, with no space overhead. It's difficult to manage even a 6 foot fly rod. I've been using a Micro fishing rod (190cm) with 7X and a red worm (no weight) on either a #12 or #14 barbless hook, with only a few of feet of line (Keiryu style). Getting the fish "to hand" with a long fixed line is tough in such tight quarters. An XUL spinning rod is better but with the very spooky native brookies you have to be stealthy. If they see or hear you they'll hide under a rock or log for hours.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 3:55 pm • # 6 
Administrator

JB in SC wrote:
jkurtz7 wrote:

I was an early adopter of Tenkara, it works great for certain conditions. Our rhododendron "tunnels" make it a very frustrating experience. Some of my favorite streams are less than 5 feet across, with no space overhead. It's difficult to manage even a 6 foot fly rod. I've been using a Micro fishing rod (190cm) with 7X and a red worm (no weight) on either a #12 or #14 barbless hook, with only a few of feet of line (Keiryu style). Getting the fish "to hand" with a long fixed line is tough in such tight quarters. An XUL spinning rod is better but with the very spooky native brookies you have to be stealthy. If they see or hear you they'll hide under a rock or log for hours.

Sounds like some water I've fished in the Smokies. Here where I live its all warm water stuff, and I'm fishing from shore or in a kayak most of the time so a Tenkara rod isn't the best choice.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 6:35 pm • # 7 

Bought my first 'official' Tenkara rod a couple years ago, now have two, a Tenkara USA Amago, and a Nissan Zerosum. That led to playing with lines, a longer furling jig, and reverse hackle flies.
Won't replace my single and double handlers, but reminds me of my fishing 'roots'.
R

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 5:10 pm • # 8 

Nice addition. Thanks for adding this forum.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 4:14 pm • # 9 

Great to see another addition to my favorite fishing forum. I bought a tenkara rod a few years back and only had one decent day with it. Got into a batch of little pike in a pool below a DU dam and had a real blast. I was amazed when the rod easily handled an 18" pike. Loads of fun when the fishing is hot, not so much when its slow. When things are slow its less boring to try farther away. :lol

Anyway, hopefully this topic will get me going again. I've just moved to a new river and the spring levels peaked a few days ago so the "too long" wait is on.

Harry

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:04 am • # 10 

Love my Tenkara rods. One thing I have learned with my limited reach is to try all likely looking spots.

Post subject: Fixed line fishing
PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 6:04 am • # 11 

Great addition. Fixed line fishing with flies is how it all started for me. I do like my reels and fly gear too much to transition back, but will check in here to be reminded/inspired by the techniques and higher focus that are in demand when using a fixed line.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2023 3:18 pm • # 12 

Love tenkara!! Have for years!

Page 1 of 1   [ 12 posts ] New Topic Add Reply